Watching Games in College

redruM

You can get him NHL Game Center, which I've used before (but for shorter periods of time). I'm not sure how much it costs, but you can get every game onto your laptop.

If money's an issue, there's always free streams to be found online, maybe at livetv.ru, but they're a bit trickier and pretty temperamental. It's cut out on me before during really important parts of the game lol...

Used to have Micro's stream when I was at school, was a lifesaver.  I think he's since stopped it though - maybe there's another stream out there?

It used to be on justin.tv.  There are also other streaming services that could work if you don't want to put up the ponies for gamecenter.

You can get him NHL Game Center, which I've used before (but for shorter periods of time). I'm not sure how much it costs, but you can get every game onto your laptop.

If money's an issue, there's always free streams to be found online, maybe at livetv.ru, but they're a bit trickier and pretty temperamental. It's cut out on me before during really important parts of the game lol...

NHL Game Center blacks out games inside the region where the person watching the games is, so this is not a solution.

This isn't the cheapest solution, but it gives you a lot more than the ability to watch hockey: Buy a slingbox. Then he can not only watch every game, but he or you can then watch your cable, from anywhere.

Otherwise, tell him to ask other students about how to find streams on the web. I'm sure he can figure it out, if he doesn't already know where to look.

When I was in college in Connecticut I used a Slingbox and all the Devils fan would hop in my room to watch the game. It was a lot of fun and the quality was very good.

If you don't want to spend the money, you can find online feeds. Google myp2p or first row sports. For the best quality (but not all the games), check out reddit.com/r/hockey. It takes a bit of technical know-how to set it up, but you can get full HD streams of some games using a program called VLC. If you choose to go this option, there are some guides available on that site and online if you look around.

First Row Sports is also an option.  Just make sure you got adblock plus installed(or something similar).

I was going to suggest the same site.  One thing to consider though is if Stevens has a bandwidth limit.  At Rutgers I used to watch out of market playoff games online because we didn't get OLN/Versus on campus and one year I exceeded the bandwidth limit from watching too many games and couldn't use the internet for a couple days.

I was going to suggest the same site.  One thing to consider though is if Stevens has a bandwidth limit.  At Rutgers I used to watch out of market playoff games online because we didn't get OLN/Versus on campus and one year I exceeded the bandwidth limit from watching too many games and couldn't use the internet for a couple days.

I graduated from Stevens in 2005, no bandwidth limits that I could remember.  They had a pretty good network there. 

Even better than Slingbox is this:  http://www.myvulkano.com/

Slingboxes are notorious for crapping out right after the warranty runs out and support calls run you $30, unless that's changed recently due to all the horrible reviews they were getting.

Do you have a Vulkano? I'd be curious to hear what you think of it. I've been dying to get a slingbox or similar such device for a while and there's not exactly a ton of options.

Do you have a Vulkano? I'd be curious to hear what you think of it. I've been dying to get a slingbox or similar such device for a while and there's not exactly a ton of options.

Yeah I have one and it's great. You can put a SD card in it and use it as a DVR and even pause and rewind live TV through the Iphone or Android app. My setup isn't ideal so I can't use all the features but it's come through quite a few times allowing me to watch live games while on Vacation. My model is an older one that runs off a free Vulkano app. The ones they sell now need an app that's around $12-15 I think. Their site is pretty cool because it has a forum where people can ask questions and get help for free. I've had it about 2 1/2 years and got it for $100.

Even better than Slingbox is this:  http://www.myvulkano.com/

Slingboxes are notorious for crapping out right after the warranty runs out and support calls run you $30, unless that's changed recently due to all the horrible reviews they were getting.

I can attest that Slingboxes are just crappy in general.

I work for a large corp IT solution supplier and my client is a major telecom corporation.  Over the past few years they have been buying Slingboxes, usually hundreds a year.  That all changed earlier this year when they found out while doing an audit that these Slingboxes had a failure rate approaching 50%, with most right out of the box!  Therefore they are now working with us to provide a different custom solution that is more expensive, but that actually works.