Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

DevsMan84

all of you are seriously fvcking ridiculous.  just reading all this existensial BULLSH1T about a fvcking goal song not being "classy" or "celebrating the other teams failures" you all sound like a goddamn college-level philosophy class.  

ITS A FVCKING CHANT to celebrate a goal I DONT THINK ANYONE ELSE THINKS "HEY the devils just scored, this chant TOTALLY means that we are taking the attention off the devils"  :blahblah:  give me a fvcking break.  Youre taking this sh!t waaaaaay to literally.  Its a goddamn hockey game.

changing the song back to RRp2 was one of the few things the devils have done right to the fans in these past few seasons, and if 2 little words after HEY really piss you off that much then dont go.  you look like a fvcking idiot if you're actually debating the semantecs of this to THAT extent.  Casting the attention on the other team MY ASS.  We are celebrating like Jerseyans its the most JERSEY chant ever. We are Jersey right?

As for the people saying that the Devils shouldnt have to cater to us......... uhhh, yeah, the fvcking should, they aren't paying me are they? we pay them. so yeah they should do what the fans want. morons.

/rant

If the "you suck" chant is the most Jersey chant ever, than it's a shame we didn't invent it and I am also saddened that apparently the stereotypes of Jersey trash are actually true, and I've always defended otherwise. 

For you and the others saying not to analyze the semantics and we are taking things too literally, why don't we examine our franchise for a second. 

This is a team where players need to be cleanly shaven until the playoffs at all times. This is a team that doesn't allow its players on social media outlets. This is a team that chooses not to ever change the uniform or add a third jersey. This is a team that rarely allows players to choose a number higher than the goalie, etc. 

Do any of these things really matter? Would the outcome of our games change  if there were different rules being enforced for our players? We don't know, obviously. What we do know is that the people who run this organization have put all of these rules in place, and have also given us a winning team to root for for the last 20 years or so. It is also considered one of the classiest and strictest teams to play for.  This starts with front office, the demeanor, and the intangibles that so many of you have never complained about. These same people have decided that "You Suck" is not something they want being chanted at the games. Say whatever you want about the people who realize the chant is immature and out of place, but we are on the same page as Lou and his colleagues, and if I have to choose between what a bunch of drunk, young fans want, and what they want, I'm going with them. 

And by the way, I'm one of the drunkest and loudest fans in that building, but it doesn't mean I ever boo my team, or the front offices choices, or scream You Suck while we should be celebrating our goal. I scream for my team, I lose my voice for them, I encourage fans around me to do the same. Not everyone fits your stereotype of the type of fans who aren't chanting You Suck. Booing after the goals on Friday was disgraceful and I can't believe how many of you are defending that. I don't care if you were booing the arena, the music, the front office, the new owners, the guy who plays the music, whatever. You were booing after the New Jersey Devils scored their first goals of the season. Come at me with another excuse, but one day you will realize how embarrassing this was. It makes me incredibly sad to watch the re-runs of our Cup runs, and to hear the crowd in the CAA, and to think back to a much classier time to be a Devils fan, when we were all seemingly on the same page. Win games and be happy, Let's Go Devils. 

• Like 1

This, ladies and gentlemen, is why we can't have nice things. People like this, over analyzing something as simple as a goal chant. Right on, runninwiththedevil.

You and the ranter above prove my point about the 20-something culprits in this fanbase. Can't have it your way so you go and cry, rant, insult, make fools out of yourselves on social media and by booing when your team scores a goal. And (my favorite) point fingers at others because you can't bring yourselves to understand anything that differs 180 degrees from your point of view. 

classy" types are quick to name call; their usually the first ones to rag on our own players.

i remember caa guys reading newspapers; partly why 2012 was sooo sooo great, the energy

imo this is on scott oniell whos hasnt seen a winning team in his whole career. i was going to give him the benefit of the doubt until this happend on the home opener.  this is just the first step in the wrong direction, it will get worse. 

edit:(drunk trash redneck children culprits) classy ; yelling you suck = drunk, right ok.

reedit: for the record i dont care about you suck i care about the energy and bon jovi is not that, if you want a comprise get rid of bon jovi.

Edited by lazer

I hate to break it to you, but based on the response at opening night, I'd say about 95% of the fanbase has already made their decision. I think you're underestimating just how far in the minority you are on this one.

There was definitely more than 2 or 3 thousand people not involved in the booing on Friday. That's more than 5%.

I thought that was mainly because the new song was terrible.

And how bout instead of you guys telling us what we should take when we're embarrassed, you get *slightly* creative if you wanna yell stuff? You're basically at the level of discourse of 6 year olds. I don't mind if it's nasty or uses bad words or anything, just please make it interesting or creative.

Bingo,

It's the same principle as the old horn only without "sucks" in it. How do you not understand that?

"Hey You Suck" sounds silly being down 4-1. "This Is Our House" sounds just as silly being down 4-1 because the score is still the same. The main difference is 95% of the fanbase have a preference towards one horn.

Go through this thread and you'll see that you and perhaps...one or two other people actually like the new horn but everyone else thinks it's horrible. So what? The Devils should make YOU happy because you don't like it?

Also. Chanting "Sucks" during pre-game intros = OK. After goals? Not OK?

Wanna take away the intros as well MB?

You clearly don't understand the concept of a rally cry. "This is our house" can be equivalent to saying "we don't give up". How does "you suck" equate to that.

"You suck" is a negative chant directed at the opposition.

"This is our house" is a positive reinforcement chant.

Have you ever watched the movie Mystery Alaska? Remember when Russell Crow's character was in the locker room during the 2nd intermission when they were down 5-2? He was referring to "their pond".

Edited by Mike Brown

You and the ranter above prove my point about the 20-something culprits in this fanbase. Can't have it your way so you go and cry, rant, insult, make fools out of yourselves on social media and by booing when your team scores a goal. And (my favorite) point fingers at others because you can't bring yourselves to understand anything that differs 180 degrees from your point of view.

Agreed. They care way too much about the goal song. I know that people who hated the goal song even thought it was despicable that they booed that loudly. I just can't fathom why certain people care more about the song than the team itself. I also can't fathom why anything that shows positive reinforcement to the team is criticized.

There was definitely more than 2 or 3 thousand people not involved in the booing on Friday. That's more than 5%.

Bingo,

You clearly don't understand the concept of a rally cry. "This is our house" can be equivalent to saying "we don't give up". How does "you suck" equate to that.

"This is our house" is a positive reinforcement chant.

Have you ever watched the movie Mystery Alaska? Remember when Russell Crow's character was in the locker room during the 2nd intermission when they were down 5-2? He was referring to "their pond".

Last I checked. You were supposed to boo and be "negative" to the opposition as much as possible. Not cheer the opposing team on. That's so lame. "OK guys while you aren't my favorite team, might nice effort out there".

That's gross.

Wanna change the goal song? Hell by Foo Fighters. I could see that working.

a fictional movie about the rangers, is this your point? 

i hope the next home game doesnt look like the movie.

Last I checked. You were supposed to boo and be "negative" to the opposition as much as possible. Not cheer the opposing team on. That's so lame. "OK guys while you aren't my favorite team, might nice effort out there".

That's gross.

Wanna change the goal song? Hell by Foo Fighters. I could see that working.

Um what? You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. We're supposed to be supporting our team first and foremost. "This is our house" is a chant that shows support for our team.

Believe it or not, we go to games to cheer our team on. Or at least I do.

More infantile and insecure than worrying about what other people chant? If you don't like it, don't chant it. I don't chant any of that stuff because I don't like it. But i don't see the point in being a fun Nazi to people enjoying themselves. It's a hockey game, not the 3 Tenors.

Are you serious???  Infantile and insecure???   The reverse is true imo.  The chanters are the infantile ones.  The problem I have is that is it crass, crude and unnecessary.  I guess that society doesn't teach politeness and morals are a thing that left with the previous generation.  The same folks most likely use crass words about female physiology and hygiene and that is okay?  Sure! Those words aren't bad, just like the word suck. Would they chant that if they were with their grandmother, mother or children.  If yes then society is worse than I believe it to be.  Done with this thread and other portions of the site.

a fictional movie about the rangers, is this your point? 

i hope the next home game doesnt look like the movie.

Considering the Mystery team loses, I agree. I hope the next game doesn't end up like that either.

Everyone knows Miracle is the best hockey movie anyway (but that's besides the point)

I agree. Think of "this is our house" as a condensed version of Kurt Russell's speech.

Um what? You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. We're supposed to be supporting our team first and foremost. "This is our house" is a chant that shows support for our team.

Believe it or not, we go to games to cheer our team on. Or at least I do.

Of course you go to cheer on the Devils but you don't go to cheer the other team's effort on as well.

Are you serious???  Infantile and insecure???   The reverse is true imo.  The chanters are the infantile ones.  The problem I have is that is it crass, crude and unnecessary.  I guess that society doesn't teach politeness and morals are a thing that left with the previous generation.  The same folks most likely use crass words about female physiology and hygiene and that is okay?  Sure! Those words aren't bad, just like the word suck. Would they chant that if they were with their grandmother, mother or children.  If yes then society is worse than I believe it to be.  Done with this thread and other portions of the site.

Not sure about you but my mother would be doing the chant along with me. Same with my father. Same with my kids (if I had any.) Because the damn chant is harmless and people like you make it into something it isn't. Let's not have fun at hockey games and let's just golf-clap whenever the Devils score. Let's get rid of the Diablos because they're too loud, let's change our team name because "Devils" is an offensive term. Perhaps then people like you would be happy then? Because that's the end result if we had the overly PC fans have their way.

Edited by TheMazz

I'm 24 for the record and I'm embarrassed every time they do the you suck chants. God forbid somebody in the building have a creative bone in their body and come up with something not off the local playground

edit: I don't really like the bon jovi thing either but really anything to stop everyone from chanting you suck 100000x a game or at least a fraction of it's ok with me

Edited by DH26

Not sure about you but my mother would be doing the chant along with me. Same with my father. Same with my kids (if I had any.) Because the damn chant is harmless and people like you make it into something it isn't. Let's not have fun at hockey games and let's just golf-clap whenever the Devils score. Let's get rid of the Diablos because they're too loud, let's change our team name because "Devils" is an offensive term. Perhaps then people like you would be happy then? Because that's the end result if we had the overly PC fans have their way.

Talk about hyperbole. Good grief! Nobody said anything of the sort.

I'm 24 for the record and I'm embarrassed every time they do the you suck chants. God forbid somebody in the building have a creative bone in their body and come up with something not off the local playground

edit: I don't really like the bon jovi thing either but really anything to stop everyone from chanting you suck 100000x a game or at least a fraction of it's ok with me

Exactly. If we wanna mock and jeer the opposition, can we at least chant something more creative than "you suck"?

You tell me. Who in the actual fvck cares about if we are hurting the feelings of the opposition the moment we score? Comments like that make me want to bang my head against the desk I'm typing this comment on.

Edited by TheMazz

You tell me. Who in the actual fvck cares about if we are hurting the feelings of the opposition the moment we score? Comments like that make me want to bang my head against the desk I'm typing this comment on.

If you actually would read what people are saying, you wouldn't have a problem.

I don't care about hurting other teams' feelings. But as fans we are supposed to cheer and support our team first. And mock and jeer the opposition second.

I never said anything of the sort. Show me where I said anything about cheering the other team.

Lost cause :doh1:. He's reaching by now, but at least he's not ranting which is more then i can say for a few of the stereotypes in this discussion.

Are you serious??? Infantile and insecure??? The reverse is true imo. The chanters are the infantile ones. The problem I have is that is it crass, crude and unnecessary. I guess that society doesn't teach politeness and morals are a thing that left with the previous generation. The same folks most likely use crass words about female physiology and hygiene and that is okay? Sure! Those words aren't bad, just like the word suck. Would they chant that if they were with their grandmother, mother or children. If yes then society is worse than I believe it to be. Done with this thread and other portions of the site.

I clearly said I don't agree with the chant or participate in it. I just said I don't see why people are so adamant about what other people can or can't chat. It's a hockey game. I don't like the chants but I'm not expecting other people to change their cheers because of it.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is why we can't have nice things. People like this, over analyzing something as simple as a goal chant. Right on, runninwiththedevil.

No, trust me, I understand your point completely. I also understand that it's a load of nonsense - that's the difference. Dismissive? Sure, but this whole debate is just ridiculous. I haven't spoken about this anywhere other than this forum - does this count as a social media outlet?

If I'm being labeled as what you've described, can I label you as an overly-sensitive "classy" 40-something? To bring age into this is ridiculous, but I've done so to make my point.

Honestly the you suck chant is a lot of fun. I think the people against it are just being squares. I still remember the rock shaking when we beat the rangers in the ECF. I was with my step father and his son who is an islanders fan, the kid went nuts screaming rangers suck, and followed along with every you suck chant.

Those are good memories, everyone gets involved in the you suck chant, its like mass bonding. Very upset to hear it's gone, as its one of the most fun things about going to the games.

I clearly said I don't agree with the chant or participate in it. I just said I don't see why people are so adamant about what other people can or can't chat. It's a hockey game. I don't like the chants but I'm not expecting other people to change their cheers because of it.

I like this mindset.  When we did have Rock and Roll part 2, I personally have never gone to management demanding they change the song even though I absolutely loathe the chant.  "It is what it is".

Now the tables have turned.  The song has been officially changed.  Why can't all of the Rock and Roll 2 lovers get over this change?  If chanting "Hey, you suck!" is the only reason some people attend a hockey game, then I just don't know what to say.

No, trust me, I understand your point completely. I also understand that it's a load of nonsense - that's the difference. Dismissive? Sure, but this whole debate is just ridiculous. I haven't spoken about this anywhere other than this forum - does this count as a social media outlet? If I'm being labeled as what you've described, can I label you as an overly-sensitive "classy" 40-something? To bring age into this is ridiculous, but I've done so to make my point.

There's hypocrisy on both sides.  But here's the problem.  Now that the song is changed, why is it so hard for people to get over it?