Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

DevsMan84

"kings county KING - How does going to away games amount to not supporting your team? I don't support the new corporate regime that Blitzer and Harris have established in the last few months. They run Prudential Center. So, I won't go to Prudential Center. Not for hockey. Not for WWE. Not for concerts. Not for basketball. I own several Devils jerseys. What motivation do I have to hand them my hard-earned money, when they don't care about you or I? Vanderbeek was one of us. They are not."

It's funny that he doesn't equate Vanderbeek, the former executive vice president of Lehman Brothers, as a corporate regime...

It's funny that he doesn't equate Vanderbeek, the former executive vice president of Lehman Brothers, as a corporate regime...

Vanderbeek ran the team like a fan.   He's a mixed bag.   I think he was good for the team.   But I think his bank account was not.    If he wasn't genuine, he was a very, very good phony.   I was at the fire bar during a draft party and he spent a solid hour bullsh!tting with the unwashed masses.

was looking at hf boards and have to wonder what the age of there posters are because most sound like little babies complaining, threatening to never go to the pru center again or another devils home game.  

"kings county KING - How does going to away games amount to not supporting your team? I don't support the new corporate regime that Blitzer and Harris have established in the last few months. They run Prudential Center. So, I won't go to Prudential Center. Not for hockey. Not for WWE. Not for concerts. Not for basketball. I own several Devils jerseys. What motivation do I have to hand them my hard-earned money, when they don't care about you or I? Vanderbeek was one of us. They are not."

I care about the players, and I'll cheer their goals in person. In New York and Pennsylvania.

all of this because of a goal song thats changing and you cant say 'you suck".   

VBK was most definitely one of us.  None of us could afford to run the Devils either. 

• Like 1

Vanderbeek ran the team like a fan.   He's a mixed bag.   I think he was good for the team.   But I think his bank account was not.    If he wasn't genuine, he was a very, very good phony.   I was at the fire bar during a draft party and he spent a solid hour bullsh!tting with the unwashed masses.

Well yes I agree. but we only got that understanding of him a few years into his ownership, the more he attended fan events and made himself public. I'm willing to give our new owners that same benefit of the doubt and same amount of time to warm up to us, which they don't have to do anyway.

As far as the goal song's concerned, I am almost 90% sure this has been Lou's wish for years now and the new ownership group felt obliged to give him his way. I am almost positive the Harris group didn't walk into the building and have the goal-song change as their first order of business. This isn't the best public relations for them either, don't forget that. It's something so petty and so specific that it screams Lou Lamoriello.

Edited by DJ Eco

Well yes I agree. but we only got that understanding of him a few years into his ownership, the more he attended fan events and made himself public. I'm willing to give our new owners that same benefit of the doubt and same amount of time to warm up to us, which they don't have to do anyway.

As far as the goal song's concerned, I am almost 90% sure this has been Lou's wish for years now and the new ownership group felt obliged to give him his way. I am almost positive the Harris group didn't walk into the building and have the goal-song change as their first order of business. This isn't the best public relations for them either, don't forget that. It's something so petty and so specific that it screams Lou Lamoriello.

I think Lou had a hand in it too.  He probably wanted it gone for a long time but JVB wanted to keep it.

The reactions of the posters on HF Boards is laughable and not surprising given who most of their members are.  That's why I really spend very little time even lurking on that board.  To see posts where some are whining that without the "you suck" chant that the atmosphere is now gone from the arena and there is now no reason to go to games anymore because of that is hilarious.

I think Lou had a hand in it too.  He probably wanted it gone for a long time but JVB wanted to keep it.

The reactions of the posters on HF Boards is laughable and not surprising given who most of their members are.  That's why I really spend very little time even lurking on that board.  To see posts where some are whining that without the "you suck" chant that the atmosphere is now gone from the arena and there is now no reason to go to games anymore because of that is hilarious.

It is, and the reason why I hate everything about "you suck". The idea that a great atmosphere and chanting "you suck" have to be connected. There are so many other ways to make the atmosphere great. That was the idea of the Devils Army back in the 2nd half of the 2010-2011 season with different positive chants. I don't think any of them were negative. 

What has bugged me from the start is that it seems fans enjoy telling the other team they suck than chanting a goal scorers name after a goal? I think it would be so much better if after Elias scores...as the puck drops, the fans chant EL-I-AS or PAT-TY OR PAT-TRIK EL-I-AS (clap clap clap). The only goal scoring chant we really had was for Henrique and the reason was pretty obvious...it was more about the other team than the player himself. Hey that's fine if it gives reasons to chant a player's name.

Then after chanting a goal scorer's name, if the situation dictates it, start heckling the goalie (again just like chanting "you suck" when you are down 3-1 is silly, so is chanting "Fleeeurrryyy").

Edited by devilsrule33

If anyone would be interested in hearing some mockups for the goal songs I could put something together today and post it on Youtube, wouldn't be all too time consuming. Just post what songs you'd like to hear and i'll include it in the video :)

Can you do something with Pop Evil - Deal with the Devil (posted link in other thread).  I wish Devils could contact them to modify some of the wording.

Can you do something with Pop Evil - Deal with the Devil (posted link in other thread). I wish Devils could contact them to modify some of the wording.

And you think our fans are upset about change? I'd love to hear what the artist would say to that or beter yet go over the their forum and hear the fans reaction to selling out.

And you think our fans are upset about change? I'd love to hear what the artist would say to that or beter yet go over the their forum and hear the fans reaction to selling out.

I would think it would be good publicity for them, I don't think the artist would care so much, he just would want to get paid.  It would be his hard core fans if anything about him "selling out"

Whatever the new song is, IMO it has to be a recognizable song.

Well more to the point it's gotta be a Jersey band/composer cause that was obviously a requirement with Ole and This is Our House.  I hope Bon Jovi didn't get tainted too much because of the latter...Raise Your Hands could actually work nicely (1:10-1:40 in this video, :59-1:29 on iTunes).

Well more to the point it's gotta be a Jersey band/composer cause that was obviously a requirement with Ole and This is Our House.  I hope Bon Jovi didn't get tainted too much because of the latter...Raise Your Hands could actually work nicely (1:10-1:40 in this video, :59-1:29 on iTunes).

Hey hows it going NJDevs26?  Assuming you're the same NJDevs26 on HF.

But it doesn't have to be a NJ band.  I picked Hells Bells simply because the crowd goes nuts when they hear the tolling of the bells.  Why not use the song with it?

I post more on HF but lurk here too.  You and me don't think it has to be a NJ band, but the people picking it clearly do, history shows that.  For some reason it's important to the suits that a Jersey-made song be the goal song even if 90% of fans couldn't give a hoot.  I'd be shocked if the vote wasn't stacked in favor of Jersey artists/bands, and maybe even a fan-created song.

I wouldn't mind using Hells Bells, but I'd rather it be the intro.  That probably isn't happening for whatever reason though.  Maybe that's become too un-PC friendly too.

Not bad at all.  But it leaves too much room to add "you suck" after the "heys" in the song.  Team likely won't go for it.

"Raise your hands" isn't bad, and is much better alternative than "this is our house."  But it doesn't change the objections (no matter how trivial) many people have to using Bon Jovi because (a) they hate him, (b) he's a Rangers fan, and © he supports Philly and is active in the community there.  Plus, the reference to NY in the chorus of the song isn't ideal for a Devils goal song.  

"Hells Bells" is great, but it is too slow for a goal song IMO.  Agree with others that want it back for the intro song.   

I think this post over at HF is very telling about the situation and should be shared.

"I was literally just told by a Devils rep "off the record" that I have a better chance of seeing Bin Laden resurrect than seeing RRP2 come back. Then they proceeded to tell me that they 100% think its "fvcked up" that they're doing this, but the ownership themselves are very dead set on it. The reps at the meetings kept saying how it was a bad idea to change it and that they fear the crowds reaction at every home game. Business tactics and ethics aside, they miss Vanderbeek."

I think this post over at HF is very telling about the situation and should be shared.

"I was literally just told by a Devils rep "off the record" that I have a better chance of seeing Bin Laden resurrect than seeing RRP2 come back. Then they proceeded to tell me that they 100% think its "fvcked up" that they're doing this, but the ownership themselves are very dead set on it. The reps at the meetings kept saying how it was a bad idea to change it and that they fear the crowds reaction at every home game. Business tactics and ethics aside, they miss Vanderbeek."

They miss JVB because the new owners are putting them to work.