Smantzas' Open Roster Discussion Thread

sundstrom

I'm also nervous about guys like Olesz and Josefson sitting. I won't complain about Carter playing but there is no way Gionta should be in over Olesz or Josefson. I'm also worried that Harrold is going to be in the line up for Fayne.

i don't want these things either - but i'm not going to get too crazy over game 1 even if it's CBGB while olesz and josefson sit. if, as we expect, gionta can't cut it, he'll be out plenty quick.

I love the utter panic that sets in around here sometimes.  And we haven't even played a game that counts yet.  Good times. 

So much utter panic. I am freaking out man! 

Geez...it's just discussion. I think player A has been better than player B. I think it's been very clear actually. I think it might cost the Devils the playoffs, maybe even the Cup.

dr33, can't have it both ways there.

I do have faith that if Gionta goes into the scoring slump we know he's capable of having that he will be out of the lineup, but I'd sure like it if NJ lost him on waivers to save us all that.  Sometimes coaches have to be saved from themselves.

dr33, can't have it both ways there.

I do have faith that if Gionta goes into the scoring slump we know he's capable of having that he will be out of the lineup, but I'd sure like it if NJ lost him on waivers to save us all that.  Sometimes coaches have to be saved from themselves.

Can't have what both ways? I was being sarcastic too with my last line.  

I don't see Gionta going on waivers. I like the player, like his story. He can play the 4th line in this league, but not at the expense of Josefson. And as we know, Gionta gets put in roles that he can't handle. "He's a key part of this hockey team."

I'm more scared that Fayne will be sitting unless Salvador is getting traded.

again - same thing as CBGB. I'm not gonna get bent out of shape for game 1 and if they're winning consistently while josefson and fayne are scratched, i'm not going to jump up and down about it. i imagine that injuries and poor play will do their fair share to get guys like josefson and fayne in the lineup. guys like sal are gonna get the benefit of the doubt and if they're truly awful, they'll get sheltered but are staying in the lineup. gionta is not one of those guys.

With all the change, I think Deboer is looking for a constant (CBGB) to start the season. I can't imagine Gio staying for most the season. JJ and Tedenby should be the extras once things get settled. Now the main question is how do they get Gelinas or Merrill up.

Secretly hope that Sal or Volch gets injured. Or that Volch retires to play in the KHL, LOL.

Can't believe Olesz does not have a spot. I love carter be Rusty is much better, he showed a ton in the preseaosn and Gio over Josefson?? Give me a break.

It's just game 1 and we don't even really know yet. Carter has put in some time with the club and is a known entity. Olesz, while having played for PDB already, is a bit of a ? at this point. I don't think having Carter in over Olesz or Lil Gio in over JJ is gonna kill us, even if it was for the whole season. Might not be the best, but I don't think JJ and Olesz are THAT much better, maybe JJ is that much better than Gio, but he needs to put up some offense so we can better utilize his defensive skills against better competition while still having a chance to score.

Gionta is a sh!tty center.   I don't understand the obsession.   You'd think at least put Carter at C and let one of the other guys play on the open wing.   I guess with a prime spot on the PK opened up, we should get ready for plenty of him there, too, being slow to react and sticking the passing lanes with the length you'd expect out of a pee-wee player.

Edited by maxpower

Gionta is a sh!tty center.   I don't understand the obsession.   You'd think at least put Carter at C and let one of the other guys play on the open wing.   I guess with a prime spot on the PK opened up, we should get ready for plenty of him there, too, being slow to react and sticking the passing lanes with the length you'd expect out of a pee-wee player.

They could scratch little Gio and put Olesz in the lineup with Carter at center, I'd be fine with that...but like Harrold, little Gio's a plucky role player that's been turned into an indispensible member of the lineup, and that's silly.  Especially with his clear limitations as an NHL center.  For some reason they don't want to play Carter at center, and they're sure as shooting not going to play Gio at LW since he's a righty shot.

Yeah what's going on with Fayne constantly being part of the 4th D pair? Harrold isn't bad, but it's getting ridiculous now. Fayne has been surprisingly solid since he first started playing here. Defensively, one of the better ones, in my opinion.

Agreed. I'm starting to find myself conflicted on DeBoer. I love his system but some of his personnel choices irk me. I hope Fayne gets to play or gets traded. We'll see what happens with injuries but I wouldn't trust Fayne getting into games off of poor games by Salvador, Volchenkov, and Zidlicky. Harrold seems to be a DeBoer favorite too.

Read that the Avalanche are desperate for D help. Wonder if they'd have interest in Fayne? He's cheap, effective, buys them at least a year or more (if they re-signed him) to develop their D talent. They have some young interesting players up front and could use upgrading on their D to back that up. I doubt Fayne would cost much, maybe they'd bite.

Avalanche Picks

2014: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th

2015: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th

Edited by thefiestygoat

I like DeBoer, but yeah I'm getting a little irked with some of his personnel choices as well. The Gionta obsession is annoying and Harrold playing over Fayne is a straight-up joke. I get that Sal and Volch are gonna play and that's all there is to it (unfortunately), but there's no excuse for Harrold being in over Fayne. I don't want to say that DeBoer plays favorites, but it's hard not to think that sometimes.

They could scratch little Gio and put Olesz in the lineup with Carter at center, I'd be fine with that...but like Harrold, little Gio's a plucky role player that's been turned into an indispensible member of the lineup, and that's silly.  Especially with his clear limitations as an NHL center.  For some reason they don't want to play Carter at center, and they're sure as shooting not going to play Gio at LW since he's a righty shot.

I don't understand why, he's a decent defensive player and competent at taking face offs.   Maybe it hurts him offensively because it limits where he can go?  Do we get THAT much offense out of the 4th that letting Ryan Carter roam, at the cost of a 35% faceoff guy centering the line, is worth something?

Carter was pretty bad at center, for what it's worth.  I can't go nuts about the 4th line yet - Gionta has the results even if he doesn't have the microstats - but I can go nuts if Gionta has a bad first 10 games and he's still getting in there.

i don't think he gets a bad 3 games before he's out. he and carter can't have 2 bad games in a row or jj and olesz will be right back in there. again, i can't go crazy about this because between elias, jagr and clowe, you're gonna have forwards missing games for injury. same with fayne.

i don't love that guys don't have defined roles and that fayne could spend the year getting jerked around and i know that players don't like it either. but the depth will help this year.

i don't think he gets a bad 3 games before he's out. he and carter can't have 2 bad games in a row or jj and olesz will be right back in there. again, i can't go crazy about this because between elias, jagr and clowe, you're gonna have forwards missing games for injury. same with fayne.

i don't love that guys don't have defined roles and that fayne could spend the year getting jerked around and i know that players don't like it either. but the depth will help this year.

In theory this sounds great, but I ain't exactly sure about it taking place in reality.  It isn't just that DeBoer played Gionta every game last year (he had to with our lack of depth and JJ failing), it's that he gave him way more icetime and responsibility than he should have had.  It isn't just that he plays Harrold a lot, he played him EVERY GAME in the second half when we had insane D depth.