Clarification thread: Switzerland vs Sweden

mrthemike

Lithuania?

How do you like this?

F3DC205F1EA997DA2E2DA4762DF33C.jpg

Originally, Zubrus had suited up for the Russian national team during the World Cup of Hockey in 2004. But since then, he has played internationally for Lithuania, most notably in the 2005 World Championships. He had told the press that, "Lithuania needs me more than Russia." Because of the existence of the Soviet Union, players born during its time as a nation were able to choose to play for any of the newly formed countries after the breakup, and even considered representing Ukraine due to his training there. He now plans to represent Lithuania in all of his future international hockey appearances.

Zubrus one time played for Russia in world cup (not iihf world championship), but with a guarantee, that he will be able to play in IIHF tournaments for his national team Lithuania. So he played for Lithuania in IIHF WC (see my avatar) and promised to play again if he wiil be healthy and Devils will not play in PO. Because LIT playing in lower division, tournament begins early, so NHLers from these countries rarely have an oportunity to play for their national teams. Also Kasparaitis actually is also Lithuanian, but he choosed to play for Russia in IIHF so was not eligible to play for LIT after that. When Soviet union broke down, players from ex USSR countries had to choose for wich team they will play, Kasparaitis gone with Russia, Zubrus choosed his homeland Lithuania. By the way, Zubrus is a president of LIT local children league, and helps Lithuanian hockey with equipment and other stuff.

context proves me a dick once again

Not really -- had Jerz been thinking, as you were, he'd have joyously shared the typically ill-informed context in the post. 

It's insane that anyone would still ref to it as the USSR - unless it was a Russian who created the spreadsheet and felt the USSR was still quite relevant despite what the rrest off de stupeed vorld tinks 

ahh Russians  can't live with 'em, can't... well some of them, you can live without, to be frank.

Not really -- had Jerz been thinking, as you were, he'd have joyously shared the typically ill-informed context in the post. 

It's insane that anyone would still ref to it as the USSR - unless it was a Russian who created the spreadsheet and felt the USSR was still quite relevant despite what the rrest off de stupeed vorld tinks 

ahh Russians  can't live with 'em, can't... well some of them, you can live without, to be frank.

I thought maybe they went back to USSR and I just hadn't heard yet.  :D