2013-14 OOT Thread

Daniel

Yeah that 29th pick. That's the only move I really can't understand. But I don't think Matteau was a bad thing to get at 29th had it been a situation where we didn't need to forfeit.

He should have deal with clarkson earlier and trade him once he would have figured how ridiculous of a contract he wanted. We cant use the "in the run" excuse every single time(where did that get us?), you have to look long term too and adjust.

Then first dont keep the 29th pick. And if you do dont draft a 3rd line winger from the juniors.

Then if you have a shot at an early 2nd round pick whos a scorer, dont trade down to pick up a fvcking defensive dman.

You have no idea what Matteau will turn into once he is fully matured, so you have no idea and cannot properly evaluate that pick at this time.  Tedenby, Josefson, Matteau, Santini, Severson, Merril.  These guys are still very young(maybe with the exclusion of Tedenby who is starting to push his luck and needs to produce).

Edited by RizzMB30

Dude, Santini is starting to look like a really smart pick. We probably would have taken Dauphin with that pick if we didn't trade down, and who knows if Dauphin is going to turn into anything.

Santini looks like someone who almost definitely has an NHL career ahead of him, and I would take that any day over a player who isn't quite so dominant in the Q.

I do agree with you, though, about the 29th pick. I heard somewhere that Lou's reasoning was that he didn't want to go into a draft with not a single player in the top 50, but I don't understand that logic very much. We'll really know if it's a mistake after this season.

i didnt want to trade zach or clarkson. But now, if i could go back in time id fvcking do it for both. Yeah we can bring up the cup run, it was awesome but we didnt win. We didnt win and were crippled in scoring for years after losing 30 goals scorers. So theres days that i think id take a first round exit that year and still have wtv assets we could have got for those 2. Wed have something to look forward to at least.

Man, you're so goddamn intelligent and smart and clairvoyant with your hindsight. I wish Lou could use hindsight, then travel back in time and correct his mistakes. Just like you would, if you were a GM, because all your nonsense talk leads me to believe no-one could spout so much drivel and crap like you do without owning a time machine. 

Man, you're so goddamn intelligent and smart and clairvoyant with your hindsight. I wish Lou could use hindsight, then travel back in time and correct his mistakes. Just like you would, if you were a GM, because all your nonsense talk leads me to believe no-one could spout so much drivel and crap like you do without owning a time machine. 

This is an OOT scoreboard thread, so after this I'm done with this subject, but once someone says he'd possibly have rather gone out in the first round than having enjoyed watching a fun run that saw them come up just two wins short of a Cup...who clearly doesn't understand that every single last Devil on that 2011-12 team would much rather have had that then to be one-and-done, even if it didn't culminate in hoisting the Cup...then he has zero credibility as a Devils fan.  Ask Elias and Brodeur if they would've traded in that run for a first-round exit, for a "brighter" future that may never come, when both players are clearly on the homestretch of their careers and will only have so many chances to win a championship.  Think they're sniveling "Well gee whiz, maybe Lou should've traded Parise for whatever he could've gotten, because winning 14 playoff games and playing the Stanley Cup Finals wasn't worth it, since we lost."?  The "well we tried, but didn't quite get there, so maybe we shouldn't have even tried at all" hindsight second-guessing is comically pathetic and weak. 

RizzMB30...you are right in that the Matteau story is still being written, but for a while, the keeping of the 29th pick will be a curious decision...it's just one of those moves that just seems so "huh?!" on the surface.  Maybe Lou saw something he liked in Matteau that much, and will be proved right in the end?  Who knows?      

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

RizzMB30...you are right in that the Matteau story is still being written, but for a while, the keeping of the 29th pick will be a curious decision...it's just one of those moves that just seems so "huh?!" on the surface. Maybe Lou saw something he liked in Matteau that much, and will be proved right in the end? Who knows?

What I've heard/read, but can't remember where, Lou was hoping that Subban or the goalie that Tampa drafted would be available. Some mocks had them available, so it wasn't a completely unrealistic that either of them would be around at 29.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeah that 29th pick. That's the only move I really can't understand. But I don't think Matteau was a bad thing to get at 29th had it been a situation where we didn't need to forfeit.

this is the only big blunder, the chance to have a run at the cup was important for the franchise at the time. plus it was fun! too bad kovys back went out on him

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger 3m

Vague details. Hearing 7 years and $8+ mil per for Lundqvist.

AND

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun 1m

As per @DarrenDreger, Henrik Lundqvist has reached agreement on an extension with the New York Rangers

AND NOW

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger 1m

7 years, $8.5 per is believed to Lundqvist's extension agreement.

Edited by Daniel

Those last 2-3 years could be veeeeeery ugly.

That's pretty much true of all of those long-term deals.  They all have the potential to get ugly at the end...and the middle...and the beginning for that matter.  But at least Lundqvist has played in NY for a while and knows what comes with it...he won't be culture-shocked, and unlike Scott Gomez, he won't be surprised to see that NY has a Starbuck's on every corner, in case he needs to satisfy a latte jonesin'.  

Interesting timing... 8.5 mil makes him by far the highest paid goalie, but the rags needed to lock him up.

It's certainly no hometown discount, but their saving grace will be that the cap is expected to rise quite a bit over the next few years, so as long as he sustains his play it should be ok.

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger 3m

Vague details. Hearing 7 years and $8+ mil per for Lundqvist.

AND

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun 1m

As per @DarrenDreger, Henrik Lundqvist has reached agreement on an extension with the New York Rangers

AND NOW

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger 1m

7 years, $8.5 per is believed to Lundqvist's extension agreement.

Waiting for SD to say something along the lines of "Must be nice to have a GM that doesn't let their big UFA get to UFA" (even though the Devils did that with Brodeur in the past and others) in 5, 4, 3... 

Good signing.

You would expect him to be an average goalie in the last two years, but from the Rags standpoint, who cares right now. 

It would have been armageddon for them if he bolted after this year.  So really anything that ensures that he stays is a good deal for them.

I mean, he's the only reason the Rangers have been remotely relevant for the past 5 years..but that's still a huge cap hit for a goalie.  Especially with Talbot showing he can play..

I say it's bought out in year 4 or 5.  But that seems to be the game plan with most of these long term deals.

Interesting timing considering I think he's been having his worst year in a while. His GAA is higher than usual, but not only that, he's let in goals at the absolute worst times and worst ways. The Devils-Rangers game at MSG has been a microcosm of this season.

Interesting timing considering I think he's been having his worst year in a while. His GAA is higher than usual, but not only that, he's let in goals at the absolute worst times and worst ways. The Devils-Rangers game at MSG has been a microcosm of this season.

He started slow but has played better, though he's been a little inconsistent overall. 

I don't think the Rangers would have been THAT bad off if he had left, but it's a tough call...it's nice to have a guy you know can do the job, and the Rangers have no idea if Cam Talbot could've been that guy.  Lots of teams who can't ever seem to find a starting goalie that can be counted on year after year.  But wow is that a LOT of coin.    

Interesting timing... 8.5 mil makes him by far the highest paid goalie, but the rags needed to lock him up.

It's certainly no hometown discount, but their saving grace will be that the cap is expected to rise quite a bit over the next few years, so as long as he sustains his play it should be ok.

It's no hometown discount for the next two, but it's pretty friendly after that since the cap will go up and his cap hit will be ~10% of the ceiling, like it's been for the past few years.

It's no hometown discount for the next two, but it's pretty friendly after that since the cap will go up and his cap hit will be ~10% of the ceiling, like it's been for the past few years.

I agree the cap hit probably won't be an issue as long as he doesn't fall off a cliff, but I just don't think he's $1.5 million better than quick or $2.5 million better than rask.

How could you ever justify the trading of a top scorer at the deadline when you're right in the middle of the race for the playoffs?

Thats simple. By knowing youre gonna lose him and choosing long term instead of short term. 29 teams doesnt win the cup every year, yet they come back the next year, they survive. How many team lose 3 30 goals scorers for absolutely nothing withing 2 season but yet the GM is not to blame at all?

Thats simple. By knowing youre gonna lose him and choosing long term instead of short term. 29 teams doesnt win the cup every year, yet they come back the next year, they survive. How many team lose 3 30 goals scorers for absolutely nothing withing 2 season but yet the GM is not to blame at all?

thank god you're not my gm... I'm glad we kept parise for the cup run and I'm glad we didn't trade clarkson for a second round pick when we still had a chance at the playoffs.

Joe Thornton is a ufa this offseason. If the sharks can't give him an extension before the deadline should they trade him? How about statsny, Phaneuf, Callahan or steen? Each of those teams are looking at the playoffs but should they just cut bait now so that they don't walk for nothing?

• Like 1

That would put you in a perpetual state of trading assets for fear of losing them, and then turning around and trading the assets you received again. You have to go for the shot at the cup. We all know that anything can happen once you get into the playoffs.

• Like 1

That would put you in a perpetual state of trading assets for fear of losing them, and then turning around and trading the assets you received again. You have to go for the shot at the cup. We all know that anything can happen once you get into the playoffs.

Explain it to the nearest wall, you'd stand a much better chance of making anything resembling progress. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Explain it to the nearest wall, you'd stand a much better chance of making anything resembling progress. 

Yeah, everyone has said what they have to say on this point.  There's no need for anyone to get in the final word, so hopefully we can put this one to bed.