2013-14 OOT Thread

Daniel

We've been spoiled.  I hate it and it eats me up inside too, and already I can't wait for September/October now, but the truth is, there are SOOOOO many more teams that go through not just back to back missed playoffs, but handfuls and even dozens.   The Stars, if they don't make it this year, will be 6 years now.  Winnipeg hasn't made it in 3 years in the new city, and dating back to Atlanta, is 4 more years for a total of 7.  Even our neighbors the Islanders went 7 seasons from '93 to 2000, and the Rangers also went 7 from '97 to 2006.

For us to miss two back to back, and 3 in 4 years sucks, but it could be much worse.  Hopefully we do well in the draft and some guys in the minors get deservedly more playing time and we're back on track next year.

I still can't think of any team who lost that much talent for absolutely nothing. Nashviille with Hartnell and Sutter? and its not really close.... 

I still can't think of any team who lost that much talent for absolutely nothing. Nashviille with Hartnell and Sutter? and its not really close.... 

And so it begins continues.

I am very curious to see what Lou has to say, in his very guarded and veiled ways.  Even with the 2012 Cup run, this is the first true downturn in his career.  It's truly unchartered territory for him, and he's (hopefully) losing his number #1 rock in Brodeur, and number #2 (Elias) will follow in a couple of years (if not sooner if the team declines further).  Even as the cast has changed, in Brodeur and Elias, they had two guys that just seemed synonymous with Devils hockey.  One will be gone (if he's not, then you can criticize Lou all you want for being stuck in the past, I and many others will be right there with you), and the other is close.  It's an uncertain time for sure, in terms of who the face of this team will be.   

I am very curious to see what Lou has to say, in his very guarded and veiled ways.  Even with the 2012 Cup run, this is the first true downturn in his career.  It's truly unchartered territory for him, and he's (hopefully) losing his number #1 rock in Brodeur, and number #2 (Elias) will follow in a couple of years (if not sooner if the team declines further).  Even as the cast has changed, in Brodeur and Elias, they had two guys that just seemed synonymous with Devils hockey.  One will be gone (if he's not, then you can criticize Lou all you want for being stuck in the past, I and many others will be right there with you), and the other is close.  It's an uncertain time for sure, in terms of who the face of this team will be.   

my post was not to point out that discussion again but its a fact. Other teams go through rough patches but they usually get compensations for sucking or their losses (in general). It's a first time for us in a long time but most teams that sucks now you can always somewhat see a better future within the next few years at least on paper. We don't really, it only seem to get worst. 

Can't count much on free agent signings to predict the future cause you never know

The face of this team will be Cory Schneider the minute his signature is on a long-term extension CR.

Probably (depending on what else happens)...but it's going to be a lot different (not in a bad way...just different).

I'm actually kind of excited for this off-season. The playoffs should still be entertaining, as there's a lot of teams that can take the cup.

After that, this is the first off-season where Lou really has some money to toss around in a while. Marty leaving (hopefully) and a Cory extension (hopefully) immediately fix one problem. A Jagr re-signing would be nice for stability at forward. Scary to think what the team would be without him this season. Maybe that CBGB line can be partially discarded finally. They have lived off of 2012 as long as Salvador and Brodeur have. I expect one of Boucher or Matteau to be up next year, and probably someone we don't expect as usual.

On defense, Salvador either gets bought out, or worst case scenario, he's in his last year. Hopefully Greene gets extended as well. I assume he's the next captain. I think one of Zidlicky or Fayne returns, leading to a bigger role for either Gelinas or Larsson. Merrill has solidified his spot. Maybe Severson makes a push in camp.

Overall, I'm very interested to see just what the Devils do this off-season. And it's not too far out there to think it may be Lou's last. He'll be 72 in October and Marty is on the way out the door. I can't see him staying much longer. Hell, maybe he'll even surprise us and step down at the end of this season.