Urbom claimed off waivers by Washington then by Devils from WSH

Marshall

I like Urbom as much as anyone (native pride and all) but holy smoke are there some kneejerk reactions to be seen in social media over this. 

I think the issue is that Urbom was once NJ's best prospect.  Then Larsson came along and he was 2nd or 3rd best.  Now according to Pronman he was 6th best and to me a lot of that rests on his having been the #1 prospect in 2010.  He certainly developed no offense to his pro game which makes it tough to be any good.

Was pissed at first but when you think that maybe Fayne stays now and we have Merril, Gelinas, Severson, Hegelson and Santini (Scarlett too)in the mix, its not too bad. In fact thatcould be a pretty good top 6 in several years.

Edited by John Wensink

Couldn't we have at least tried to trade him and get a return? Probably would have landed a 4th or something. Maybe package him in with something.

But whoever traded for him would have either had to have a spot open on their NHL roster to keep him there or would have traded that pick just for the chance that Urbom makes it through waivers for them. Not exactly the best deal.

Should've waived gionta.

This has absolutely zero to do with Gionta, they were not keeping eight defensemen again - Lou admitted as much.

This is true, but it could've been just another temporary maneuver while Lou attempted to do something about the D situation.

Your point is all over the place.  The Devils haven't lost free agents because they have too many players.  Urbom is a small asset at this point - I mean, it'd be nice to have him in the minors, but he's clearly been beat out by other guys.  

Mmm? never said we lost FA because we had too many players? that doesnt really make sense.

My whole point is that Lou has a tendencies to do things with a risky "make or break" mentality (not giving up the 29th pick is another example) and when it breaks, we're left with nothing. Which if you look case by case is no big deal really. But if you look at it as a whole you see that you may be losing lots of opportunities for fvck all. It's not really about WHO we lost it's more about the what we could have got.

I guess a good example would be MTL, I hate them but they are starting to be relevant and their drafting has been a lot better lately cause they have been getting at least a little something for players they lost. Either through trades, rights etc etc but they stacked a LOT of picks and they can take chances and if you look into it some moves they made got them gems in later rounds like Gallagher and they have a great forwards group built with a bunch of 2nd round picks they got. Obviously they've been in a position to trade guys at the deadline more than us lately.

Last year they got Fucale (who could be a #1 goalie or an excellent backup) and Jacob de la Rose (who i really like too) with extra picks they got for moving players. (of course that's just an example of one situation through the league) but if mtl would have lost or let those guys walk and get claim off waivers cause they we're not in their plans anymore. Well thats 2 young players they would have never got.

Couldn't we have at least tried to trade him and get a return? Probably would have landed a 4th or something. Maybe package him in with something.

He probably tried, but couldn't find a taker.  Sometimes stuff like this happens...guys just can't crack the lineup or get ahead of the guys over them on the depth chart...that how a guy like Loktionov is available for a 5th-round draft pick.

Mmm? never said we lost FA because we had too many players? that doesnt really make sense.

My whole point is that Lou has a tendencies to do things with a risky "make or break" mentality (not giving up the 29th pick is another example) and when it breaks, we're left with nothing. Which if you look case by case is no big deal really. But if you look at it as a whole you see that you may be losing lots of opportunities for fvck all. It's not really about WHO we lost it's more about the what we could have got.

I guess a good example would be MTL, I hate them but they are starting to be relevant and their drafting has been a lot better lately cause they have been getting at least a little something for players they lost. Either through trades, rights etc etc but they stacked a LOT of picks and they can take chances and if you look into it some moves they made got them gems in later rounds like Gallagher and they have a great forwards group built with a bunch of 2nd round picks they got. Obviously they've been in a position to trade guys at the deadline more than us lately.

Last year they got Fucale (who could be a #1 goalie or an excellent backup) and Jacob de la Rose (who i really like too) with extra picks they got for moving players. (of course that's just an example of one situation through the league) but if mtl would have lost or let those guys walk and get claim off waivers cause they we're not in their plans anymore. Well thats 2 young players they would have never got.

That's a great comparison for a team that's not New Jersey. What would/could you have gotten for Urbom? A 5th? And that team would likely not see him as a key cog in their puzzle and thus wait for him to hit waivers and take their chances there. Tallinder, you weren't getting much for him at the time and marketplace. 

And then I don't know what else you might be referring to, because I can't see how this has anything to do with New Jersey, unless you're nitpicking and choosing all the bad moves Lou has made over the years in FA, draft, trade...

God, Sterio you are such the Debbie Downer of the board.  Of course the Habs got extra picks in '11-12, they were a wasteland and had a lot of FA's to fob off.  The one year we were in last place, we also traded Langs and Arnott for assets.  That's how it works, if you're a non-playoff team you stock up for the future.  If you are a playoff team you're not trading off UFA's for assets.

And they heisted Joey N in Dallas last year, getting a 2nd AND Ryder for Cole...that's one of the reasons Joey N was put out to pasture.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I'd rather probably risk Urbom to waivers than trade him for a 5th, because a 5th is such a nothing asset, and Urbom could help me this year if he slips through waivers.  Tough to say.

Lou is one of the best in the business at using IR and so forth so as to not squander assets.  The Red Wings lost Kyle Quincey to waivers.  Pittsburgh inexplicably dealt Mark Letestu to Columbus for a 4th round pick after having him on one of the best contracts in the league, now their bottom lines are a shambles and Letestu has a solid scoring rate in Columbus.  Los Angeles dumped Andrei Loktionov for a 5th round pick and was roundly criticized.  The Sharks, up against the cap, dealt Christian Ehrhoff for garbage assets and his career exploded.  Sometimes these things happen, even to the best teams.

Edited by Triumph

Montreal gave up guys like Hal Gill, Erik Cole, Andrei Kostitsyn, and Mike Cammalleri to get decent picks. The haven't really made many player-for-pick trades that amounted to much.

This is Alex Urbom. He may have fetched maybe a 4th or a 5th, or he may have passed through waivers and been in Albany. It wasn't a huge risk. Sucks that it didn't pay off, but there's no comparison with Montreal.

Losing Urbom is an 'oh well' moment for me, nothing more really. The talent in Albany simply simply doesn't strike me as first rate. And the talk about Larsson in this thread is accurate also IMHO - he wasn't drafted to be a solid D man he was drafted to be a shining star # 1 guy and he needs a breakout year soon.

Can't believe I forgot Thomas Hickey, who turned into one of the Islanders best D after being waived by Los Angeles.  Similar situation, except that Hickey was a former #4 overall pick.

If we want to go to Montreal, Yanick Weber was non-tendered by Montreal and signed with Vancouver.  I always liked Weber, seemed like a guy who could add some offense, but they had too many guys and didn't want to bother with him, so off he went.

big disappointment. really good summer. take out some problem useless players. make good replacement.

and this. bad ending of a good summer.

i want his comeback like few years ago with salmela. by the way salmela was good before carter`s hit

Losing Urbom is an 'oh well' moment for me, nothing more really. The talent in Albany simply simply doesn't strike me as first rate. And the talk about Larsson in this thread is accurate also IMHO - he wasn't drafted to be a solid D man he was drafted to be a shining star # 1 guy and he needs a breakout year soon.

They say forwards usually break out in year 3 in the pros. For defensemen, they say more like year 5. This is Larsson's 3rd year and the last of his ELC, so I expect to see a bit more from him, but I'm not going to say he's a bust if he doesn't put up huge numbers. Would like to see at least 20 points though. Especially if he gets PP time. If he isn't a top guy by that year 5 though, then it won't look good.

I'm gonna miss Alex.  But we have too many d-men better than him in our farm system.  I obviously would have rather traded him, but it is what it is.  We still have a deep prospect pool of defensemen.  I hope this means we can lock up Fayne.

Fayne must be getting tired of watching games here in Jersey

That was not the point really. God im the worst at explaining my points apparently... it's not about Urbom at all. Im looking at the big picture

Can we agree that Lou has a "All Out / All or Nothing / Make or break / High Risks, High Rewards" mentality which lead him to do things a certain way? his trade deadline and FA handling, not giving away the 29th pick etc etc are examples of that, he just go for it 100% of the time. And result of that if it doesn't work the loss is assured to be the worst you can have, there's no safety net.

Compared now to teams who play it a little more carefully to at least limit their losses if there's any and try to get picks or something instead at least once in awhile. Well in the long run those extra picks or new prospects can help you build a good prospect pool.

And on the other way around, not getting all those extra picks and losing players for nothing in return will eventually hurt you. Our forwards group in the AHL is a good indication of that. Look at our NHL group, not a lot of them are homegrown either. We constantly have to get guys off the market and there's a reason for that.

Edited by SterioDesign