GDT: Game 3 Devils @ Edmonton Senators 930pm MSG+

ZeroGravityFat

I wasn't calling you out or anything.  I'm hoping by the 20th game or so they'd have a record over .500 though.

Have you seen the first twenty games of the season?  This is a nightmarish schedule until about Thanksgiving, they really can't afford to be blowing games like last night.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Marty seems to be thinking about his 5 hole too much. Maybe the new pads are getting to his head. Look at those two shoot out goals, after being scored 5 hole in the 3rd like 2 or 3 times, he over compensated. If he kept his block up instead of down to cover the 5 he would have made those two saves in the shootout.

too be fair those moves were done perfectly, and they're not easy shots to stop, especially when you commit to the fake

well that was frustrating...

its been said but our guys are gonna have to step up, new guys comes in in a new system / new team etc and they score? no excuse for Zajac, Henrique etc etc those guys have to start putting it in.

I dont think Brodeur was that horrible though all around, the d let guys walk in with room to shoot all night long and he was solid for most of the night. How many times are we gonna see a pass from the blueline on the right side going to a guy wide open on the left side on our blueline wide open to step in and take a shot? we've seen it like 15 times in 3 games.

Another loss while the guys are gelling its fine... but im worried about them digging a hole they cant get out of like 3 years ago

Like I said though, it's a weak division.  3 years ago, we had the entire conference to worry about.

Have you seen the first twenty games of the season?  This is a nightmarish schedule until about Thanksgiving, they really can't afford to be blowing games like last night.

True, but the easy games will come eventually.

I wasn't calling you out or anything.  I'm hoping by the 20th game or so they'd have a record over .500 though.

I am too, but I'm being realistic.  That schedule is a real bitch...the kind that can kill a team's season before it really gets underway, especially for a team trying to figure itself out. 

If they can get through it both reasonably healthy and with a not-too-bad record, I'll take.   

I am too, but I'm being realistic.  That schedule is a real bitch...the kind that can kill a team's season before it really gets underway, especially for a team trying to figure itself out. 

If they can get through it both reasonably healthy and with a not-too-bad record, I'll take.   

Well if the hardest part of the schedule is the first quarter of the season, I'll take it.  It means by the time the team does gel, they'll have the lesser teams to deal with.

max:

The problem with your claim is that only one of the Oilers goals tonight was scored in transition (the 4th one).  The other 3 were off possession in the offensive zone.  I know the Devils have trouble with transition but tonight this wasn't really their problem.

Our "4th line" is -11 through 3 games....ouch!

This is one good sign.  With the 4th line performing badly on the stat sheet, maybe it'll be time that the Devils' coaching staff realizes that the first 60 games of Stephen Gionta's career aren't what you can expect out of him going forward.  

Marty seems to be thinking about his 5 hole too much. Maybe the new pads are getting to his head. Look at those two shoot out goals, after being scored 5 hole in the 3rd like 2 or 3 times, he over compensated. If he kept his block up instead of down to cover the 5 he would have made those two saves in the shootout.

I thought he only got beat 5 hole on Hall's goal to make it 4-3.  The first was a scrambly rebound out front that beat him glove side (nothing he could do about that one), the second was a shot from the point that beat him low blocker (I think), the third was the goal off the facoff  that beat him high blocker.  IN the shootout, he just got juked out of his pads on both goals which were the same exact move. 

Our "4th line" is -11 through 3 games....ouch!

Gionta was invisible last night.  He needs to be pulled from this lineup.  Bernier I though played ok.  Carter wasn't great.

Brodeur was very good tonight.  I can't fault any of the goals on him tonight.

Goal 1: Net mouth scramble on the pk, puck goes to RNH's stick for an easy tap in goal.

Goal 2: Perfect shot by Ferrence that looked like it hit a Devil's skate.

Goal 3: Perfect snipe by Perron right off a face-off.

Goal 4: Defensive breakdown and Hall with a sick move.

Did you watch the shootout? and the shootout the night before?

The shootouts don't mean much to me.  How about our shooters?  They kind of need to score in order to win some shootouts.  

And what about the shootout before?  You mean the one against the Isles?  The one where he stonewalled 5 of the 6 shooters?

Gionta was invisible last night.  He needs to be pulled from this lineup.  Bernier I though played ok.  Carter wasn't great.

Fayne needs to be in for Harrold.

Yayo and Olesz should be in for Gionta and Bernier.  Keep Carter because he's been the best player on that line imo.

I thought he only got beat 5 hole on Hall's goal to make it 4-3.  The first was a scrambly rebound out front that beat him glove side (nothing he could do about that one), the second was a shot from the point that beat him low blocker (I think), the third was the goal off the facoff  that beat him high blocker.  IN the shootout, he just got juked out of his pads on both goals which were the same exact move. 

The Ference goal has to be stopped

The Hall goal was a breakdown but Marty has to stop going for these pathetic poke check whiffs. He whiffed on Frans Nielsen who slipped it through his 5 hole. Then he does it again

Yayo and Olesz should be in for Gionta and Bernier.  Keep Carter because he's been the best player on that line imo.

I would argue Bernier is the best player on that 4th line.

As for the game, it was a complete heartbreaker.  That 4th goal against Brodeur though was complete trash and it was the same goal as the third goal Brodeur let in against the Islanders.

Loved what I saw from Brunner, Ryder, Elias and Loki.  Zubrus was completely invisible, liking what I am seeing now from Clowe and Jagr.  Liked the speed and effort from Zajac and Henrique but they have to get going soon with the goals or this will be a long season.

As for defense, through 3 games the only defenseman that hasn't pissed me off at 1 point is Andy Greene.  I thought Volchenkov and Salvador played like trash for most of the night and wasn't too happy with Harrold.

I really want Gio off this team.  I really want them to bring back up Josefson and see what he can do.

Even if you choose to not blame Marty for any individual goal, he needs to come up with a big save in that 8 minute stretch. A big save on any of those 4 goals could have switched momentum back to our side. He seemed to completely lose confidence along with everyone else. Old Marty would have had an "i'll just stop the next one" swagger that I did not see last night.

The Hall goal was a breakdown but Marty has to stop going for these pathetic poke check whiffs. He whiffed on Frans Nielsen who slipped it through his 5 hole. Then he does it again

I wonder if the smaller pads have something to do with it.  I know Broduer changed his pads in late December of 2011/Jan of 2012 and suddenly his numbers got better and it seemed like less of these shots were going through him.

He was bad in the shootout last night.  But he was very good against the Islanders.  Blame our own shooters for crapping the bed there.

Agree on the Ference goal.  Nothing he could do about the rebound that RNH scored on.  The Perron goal was a great shot off a wide open chance at the bottom of the circle.  Stoppable, but not very easy.  Hall's you have to blame on the coverage out front, but that is where his style sometimes gets him in trouble.  By swinging for the poke check, he completely opens himself up to the soft 5 hole goals.  

Well at least Brunner is really good. I think Deboer needs to start using reinforcements. Harrold was horrific and JJ and Olesz would be improvements over Carter and Bernier

Definently time to start changing it up not only to see who is going to perform better on that fourth line but those guys were pretty good in the pre season they deserve to have a chance.. It will make the current fourth liners work a little harder to keep their spot on the roster as well. Super hard tp swallow and watch a game like last night but clearly something needs to be done.

Bernier was invisible last night but otherwise, I think he's looked great the first two games, and preseason. I think a swap of Yayo for Gionta is all the doctor ordered for today, and maybe Olesz in for one of the guys who's tired or banged up (which I'm not sure there is one, our forwards all looked sharp and spritely last night).

Edited by DJ Eco