GDT: Game 3 Devils @ Edmonton Senators 930pm MSG+

ZeroGravityFat

did anyone see brodeur shaking his head before the shootout... my man knew that the team was going to lose for sure at that point no matter how many rounds he saved and pushed it to.. which is why he just let the first two in he didnt want to have to do any work if the rest of the team wasnt working either.

I wonder if the smaller pads have something to do with it.  I know Broduer changed his pads in late December of 2011/Jan of 2012 and suddenly his numbers got better and it seemed like less of these shots were going through him.

Brodeurs pads were already kind of small. Not sure if these new regulations affected him realyl

Brodeurs pads were already kind of small. Not sure if these new regulations affected him realyl

I do remember Chico rambling on in Jan of 2012 that Brodeur increased his pad size and that it was a big deal as he has never really done that before.  Just was odd that at the same time Brodeur's numbers started getting better and those kinds of shots were not getting by him.

i believe i read somewhere that they made them slightly smaller but it was nothing too dramatic.. the actual numbers (sizes) where posted somewhere of what the new pad size needs to be and what he had already been wearing.. just cant remember where i read it. May have been on here somewhere actually

For what it's worth, I just watched the goals against from Marty's last two games and he's getting beat a lot to the blocker side.  I'm not sure if he's off positionally, of if he's having trouble following the puck or something..but they're zipping by him on the blocker.

I'm oddly optimistic still. The new signings are doing well, scoring even. We have a proven great goalie and a solid veteran backup. Our, now crappy, 4th line has Olesz and JJ waiting for a chance to break in. (Surely Gionta is history soon?) Hopefully Fayne will bump Harrold out as well and we'll get our defensive mojo back soon.

Still excited about this team. :)

In fairness, I don't think we can say with any real certainty what Marty is at this point.  No one can.  He's never been a backup in his career, so it's not like playing him less will make him better, or reverse slowing reflexes.  The numbers over the last few seasons overall indicate that he's not a good puck-stopper anymore (the roughly 50-game burst to close out the '11-'12 season was likely the very best of what he has left).  I don't see him being that much better than he's been since the start of last season. 

Schneider will get a workload this season (don't see how he won't, no matter how many games Marty envisions himself starting) that he's never gotten before, and that's good...we need to see if Schneider can play 50-60 games (or more) in a given year. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

For what it's worth, I just watched the goals against from Marty's last two games and he's getting beat a lot to the blocker side.  I'm not sure if he's off positionally, of if he's having trouble following the puck or something..but they're zipping by him on the blocker.

He's all over the place positionally.  It's just a lot of guesswork.  Schneider probably doesn't get beat by either goals 2 or 3 and he has a better chance at stopping 4.

I thought Larrson recovered from two piss poor games.

Sal at 26 is a joke along with Harrold at 22. They're banking on players playing above their head which has backfired in the early parts of the season

I agree. Larsson looked good last night. Harrold is getting Mottau'd. I like him, but not at top 4 minutes.

I really hope harrold sits tonight and fayne gets a chance. . I feel like harrold just really didnt look too good last night.

A nice positive is that the Devils DO have guys they can give a shot to.  Everyone loves wins to start the year, but at the same time, the early season really is like extended preseason...teams like the Devils still need to figure out which guys are every-game players at certain positions.

It'd be a hell of a lot more ideal if the Devils weren't trying to juggle so many damned road games along with player decisions, but it is what it is. 

I'm also guessing (not exactly going out on a limb on this one) that Schneider will be named the Devils' #1 goalie by mid-November.  Marty probably won't be happy about it behind the scenes, but I do think he'll say the right things in public, and not make it a controversy. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Carter didnt have the best game last night but I still think hes one of the best on the 4th line... I dont think id be ready to bench him just yet. Everyone is so fast to pull the trigger.

I dont dislike Carter, i think he is useful.  I just want to give others a shot right now and i'd rather have Bernier than Carter

How about enough with the bullsh!t,  waive harrold,  send him down.

Volchenkov as your 7th, bring up Merrill and play he and Fayne

Bench Gionta and Carter, play Olesz/Bernier/Josefson

Bingo, but replace Merrill with Gelinas. 

Also, I'd like to point out that DeBoer used his timeout last night on a PK after the game went to 4-3. What in the actual fvck is he doing these days?

Bingo, but replace Merrill with Gelinas. 

Also, I'd like to point out that DeBoer used his timeout last night on a PK after the game went to 4-3. What in the actual fvck is he doing these days?

He didn't do that.  He had already used his timeout in the 2nd period.  Of course, Chico and Steve, Steve being clueless about hockey and Chico about everything, thought it was Edmonton who called the timeout in the 2nd, because Chico has still not figured out that you can't change lines after icing the puck.  

Harrold is playing 20 minutes a game, I don't see him on waivers any time soon.

Edited by Triumph
  • Like 1

Don't feel good about this one, but let's go Devils!

I went to bed during the second intermission, while the Devils had a 3-0 lead. I was looking forward to quoting this post, saying "wow, I should feel bad about more Devils games if this is the result." I'm really shocked at what happened.

Olesz for Gionta, Josefson for Henrique anyone? Maybe it isn't the time for Henrique to come out yet, but he's got to start scoring soon. It definitely shouldn't be permanent, but the guy needs some pressure, imo.

Edited by nessus

Rewatch it. The 2nd period timeout was Edmonton. DeBoer called his down 4-3. I literally just watched.

Rewatch it. The 2nd period timeout was Edmonton. DeBoer called his down 4-3. I literally just watched.

Okay, great.  Why does the NHL play by play say VISITOR TIMEOUT in the 2nd period and HOME TIMEOUT in the 3rd period?  Because the Devils took a timeout in the 2nd.  They had iced the puck and their line had been out for a long time.  Chico is still oblivious to this, he picks up on it less than half the time, he'll say something like 'They just want to get things settled down, I guess'.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20132014/PL020035.HTM

Edited by Triumph

I went to bed during the second intermission, while the Devils had a 3-0 lead. I was looking forward to quoting this post, saying "wow, I should feel bad about more Devils games if this is the result." I'm really shocked at what happened.

Olesz for Gionta, Josefson for Henrique anyone? Maybe it isn't the time for Henrique to come out yet, but he's got to start scoring soon. It definitely shouldn't be permanent, but the guy needs some pressure, imo.

your really jumping the gun here trying to scratch henrique already jesus... he wouldve had the one last night if the puck wasnt bouncing when it was passed to him. Zajac hasnt been good either shoukd we scratch him too?

Okay, great.  Why does the NHL play by play say VISITOR TIMEOUT in the 2nd period and HOME TIMEOUT in the 3rd period?  Because the Devils took a timeout in the 2nd.  They had iced the puck and their line had been out for a long time.  Chico is still oblivious to this, he picks up on it less than half the time, he'll say something like 'They just want to get things settled down, I guess'.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20132014/PL020035.HTM

I'll be honest, I watch the games on mute most of the time. Even the graphic on screen in the 2nd said "Timeout Edmonton". Can't even trust that I guess. Ugh. My bad.

I thought Larrson recovered from two piss poor games.

Yeah, him getting beat by Hemsky with a beer league toe drag was awesome. I think it was a 2 on 1 as well, with Hemsky being a right handed shooter on the right side. Adam going to Hemsky and missing everything shows me what we are dealing with. I am tired of hearing about age, he blows. Go watch Jake Trouba play.