The Pete Deboer Thread

Derlique

They had a slow as molasses defense three years ago and ran the trap fine then.

C'mon now, that wasn't a trap. That relied on the brilliant forechecking of Parise and guys like Carter and Henrique up front. Our D ended up not having to do as much work because of the hustle up front.

Now, I think the league's figured it out, every coach has the book on us and it's not that complex.

C'mon now, that wasn't a trap. That relied on the brilliant forechecking of Parise and guys like Carter and Henrique up front. Our D ended up not having to do as much work because of the hustle up front.

Now, I think the league's figured it out, every coach has the book on us and it's not that complex.

I was referring to Lemaire's second half in '11.  They had basically White and Volchenkov as a top pair for long stretches lol...that's about as slow as it gets.  They had Greene, Fayne, Tallinder, Salmela/Leach as well.  

So Greene, Fayne and Volch are still here.  You're replacing White with Salvador, not much difference there.  Zidlicky and Harrold don't provide all that much more speed than Tallinder and Salmela/Leach.

Edited by NJDevs4978

After Tuesday night’s 4-1 loss in Columbus, Devils coach Pete DeBoer talked about how his team didn’t win “enough battles in the tough areas of the rink” and having only “15 or 16 guys prepared to be in the fight and win battles.”

DeBoer continued on that subject today when I asked him the main reason why the team was not able to build off the 4-0 win over the Rangers on Saturday.

“We just had three or four passengers and we’re not the kind of team that can have that,” DeBoer said. “There are teams that can get away with that in this league, have three or four passengers on a night and still win a game. We’re not one of those teams.” http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/deboer_needs_devils_passengers_to_get_on_board_gelinas_gets_nice_wake-up_call/

I don't know if that means the end is near but it sure as shooting means Pete's feeling the heat.  He doesn't usually call out players publicly, even in a veiled fashion.  

I think that's fair, but he never really needed to call out players last season. When they lost, you couldn't really point to one individual who was playing poorly other than the goalie. That's what happens when you lose outshooting an opponent 33-11. It wasn't going to do him any good calling out Marty or Johan.

I don't think it does any good calling out specific players in the media anyway. Really no benefit. If a player is struggling, the right thing to do is limit their minutes or sit them down..or keep it in house. 

The critical part is that he is right.  Brunner and Loktionov have been largely worthless the last few games they've played, save Loktionov's goal.  The Devils need them if they are going to be any good.

I'm not sure who the other passengers are - Harrold had a bad night but I can't see Pete ever calling him a passenger - but yeah.  The Devils need 4 lines working and they had 2 working last night.

The critical part is that he is right.  Brunner and Loktionov have been largely worthless the last few games they've played, save Loktionov's goal.  The Devils need them if they are going to be any good.

I'm not sure who the other passengers are - Harrold had a bad night but I can't see Pete ever calling him a passenger - but yeah.  The Devils need 4 lines working and they had 2 working last night.

Well we've got a bunch of players that are used to only being on offense with no defensive skill. They need to start working on that part of their game. Even Kovy did that.

My main defense of DeBoer, and if you've been reading, I haven't defended him much, is that the players always went to war for him, even last year when they were losing. That's not true anymore. What does he do right at this point?

My main defense of DeBoer, and if you've been reading, I haven't defended him much, is that the players always went to war for him, even last year when they were losing. That's not true anymore. What does he do right at this point?

I do think his offensive system is good.  We still are good at pinning the opposition in their zone.

Problem may be that these guys dont want to play, they want to win. 

Talented people get benched while hard workers play -- and they lose. 

No one learns from benching that way. I think I was wrong -- this is a new team and that is the problem.  They dont understand the whole work ethic thing.  It can't be successfully pounded into their brains if they dont even want to hit the ice only to lose - they wont see their accountability. They just think deBoer is stupid and not giving them a chance all for his stupid code of honor or whatever.  It's a thought anyhow.

Who is out there to take his place? Forget about Lemaire, he doesn't want to be a full time coach anymore.  He helped out Lou when Maclean was let go. Steven's /Dave Barr/Kowalski would have to take over. You still have same product on the ice. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh>t. 

My feelings are keep PDB, play more youth, (like buffalo's doing) and don't worry about the damn goal song