GDT 6: Devils @ Jets

NJDEVS1730

I posted this in another thread, but when I see Clowe's numbers from '08-'09 to '11-'12, I almost can't believe he actually did that.  He looks nothing like a guy who can contribute that kind of offense for the Devils. 

He scares me just as much as Zajac and Henrique do.   

Henrique doesn't scare me at all, he's going to at least be a good NHLer.  Zajac too.  Right now Clowe doesn't have the puck ever and when he does have it he's not doing anything good with it.  He's probably more in line for a healthy scratch at the moment.

I posted this in another thread, but when I see Clowe's numbers from '08-'09 to '11-'12, I almost can't believe he actually did that.  He looks nothing like a guy who can contribute that kind of offense for the Devils. 

Wasn't he playing with Thornton a lot back then? Plus, I'm pretty sure they had a really good power play for a while, and I'm assuming he was a part of that. Clowe looked really good at the beginning of the preseason, but he seems kind of lost now.

If Zajac and Henrique are Parise products, then we're going to be in a lot of trouble. I'm starting to feel hopeless about Henrique. Although, I suppose I can't blame him. He has been moving from line to line just as much as anybody else.

At this point, I'm kind of hoping PDB starts giving better minutes to Olesz, Loktionov, Josefson, etc., just to shake some things up. The pace is terribly slow and play is so predictable.

...The power play doesn't look like it quite knows what it's doing - this was to be expected, but right now NJ is generating more shots per minute at 5 on 5 than 5 on 4, so that's gotta change really quick.

What do you mean by "quick"? To my eye, you could say this for the last several seasons. I can't remember the last time the PP has been consistently effective. It's so pitiful I've been saying for two or three years now that I wish we could decline the Power Play. My wife and I call it the Powerless Play.

Salvador's quote from last night:

“Even though we only have three points, I think if you look at our division we’re still in the middle of the pack,” Salvador said. “So, I think what’s important here is not to get discouraged because I think one win and we’re back close to the top of our division. So, we’ve got to keep that in perspective. We’ve got a big game in Ottawa for sure. Get home for a couple of days and realize that we’ve been fortunate to this point that other teams in our division haven’t had a great start either."

Seriously? This is the captain DeBoer has picked for the team? And how is Lou tolerating this? Holy sh!t, this is simply unacceptable. No wonder standards have dropped significantly.

Edited by Anhkheg

Not getting discouraged really hasn't lead to anything spectacular the past two seasons.  Why not give it a shot?

Maybe a little discouragement would lead to positive action?  Worth a try at least, don't you think? 

Oh no... it's the Devils, stay the course game in game out - get the coach fired - that's good for a mid/late season jump.  

Salvador's quote from last night:

“Even though we only have three points, I think if you look at our division we’re still in the middle of the pack,” Salvador said. “So, I think what’s important here is not to get discouraged because I think one win and we’re back close to the top of our division. So, we’ve got to keep that in perspective. We’ve got a big game in Ottawa for sure. Get home for a couple of days and realize that we’ve been fortunate to this point that other teams in our division haven’t had a great start either."

Seriously? This is the captain DeBoer has picked for the team? And how is Lou tolerating this? Holy sh!t, this is simply unacceptable. No wonder standards have dropped significantly.

With last season still fresh in a lot of fans' heads (it gets brought up and lumped in with this season a lot), and a uh-oh kind of start to this one, can't say this is really what people want to hear...even if this is how he feels, and he's not being phony.  I think it's one thing when you go winless in 3 or 4 games, but when the losses start adding up, people want to see a LITTLE urgency and desperation...especially since 2010-11 is also apparently fresh in a lot of fans' heads.   

Some will say "Well, if the Devils had won their shootouts, then they're 2-3-1, and that's not so bad."  Yeah, that's easier on the eyes for sure, but then you'd hear "But they don't have a regulation win yet."  To a lot of fans, shootout wins don't feel like real wins, and I think most fans would feel like the Devils would be very lucky to be 2-3-1 under those circumstances (like many did in 2011-12 when the Devils went 12-12-1, with 5 of those wins coming in the shootout).  So I think there'd still be a lot of angst, even with a nicer-looking record.    

Some will say "Well, if the Devils had won their shootouts, then they're 2-3-1, and that's not so bad."  Yeah, that's easier on the eyes for sure, but then you'd hear "But they don't have a regulation win yet."  To a lot of fans, shootout wins don't feel like real wins, and I think most fans would feel like the Devils would be very lucky to be 2-3-1 under those circumstances (like many did in 2011-12 when the Devils went 12-12-1, with 5 of those wins coming in the shootout).  So I think there'd still be a lot of angst, even with a nicer-looking record.    

And even so, the logic makes me think of the yiddish expression: Az der bubbe volt gehat beytzim volt zi geven mein zeide (if my grandmother had balls, she'd have been my grandfather). If only goes so far. The fact of the matter is that we didn't win those games in shootouts. We didn't win them in regulation or overtime either. We just plain didn't win them in any way. Going with the "if" logic only gets us far as fans to alleviate the emotional damage of our team sucking, but the team itself needs to face that fact of where they are at this point and what they need to do to reach the standards that are expected.

And even so, the logic makes me think of the yiddish expression: Az der bubbe volt gehat beytzim volt zi geven mein zeide (if my grandmother had balls, she'd have been my grandfather). If only goes so far. The fact of the matter is that we didn't win those games in shootouts. We didn't win them in regulation or overtime either. We just plain didn't win them in any way. Going with the "if" logic only gets us far as fans to alleviate the emotional damage of our team sucking, but the team itself needs to face that fact of where they are at this point and what they need to do to reach the standards that are expected.

You got what I was going for, correct?  I was saying that I WOULDN'T really feel much better if the Devils were 2-3-1 to start the season, if the victories came on shootouts (with the rest of those games that led up to the shootout part being identical). 

In a way I'm glad that the Devils are 0-3-3, in that they're not really getting away with anything...there's clearly issues with their play, and shootout wins aren't helping to cover them up.  Schneider said it perfectly...yes, they're close on the scoreboard, but there's not really any one game out of the six that screams "Devils got robbed", unless you want to throw Ryder's waved-off goal in the mix.   

You got what I was going for, correct?  I was saying that I WOULDN'T really feel much better if the Devils were 2-3-1 to start the season, if the victories came on shootouts (with the rest of those games that led up to the shootout part being identical). 

In a way I'm glad that the Devils are 0-3-3, in that they're not really getting away with anything...there's clearly issues with their play, and shootout wins aren't helping to cover them up.  Schneider said it perfectly...yes, they're close on the scoreboard, but there's not really any one game out of the six that screams "Devils got robbed", unless you want to throw Ryder's waved-off goal in the mix.   

I understand what you're saying and I agree that it's better to see the wood-rot on the outside so you know the tree is dying than to have it going on inside and suddenly collapse without any warning. But I guess at the end of the day, the problem is still there whether it's more apparent in the standings or hidden over by shootout points and luck. It might be easier for the coach to deal with the problem given that it's very apparent that it exists, or it might be harder because losing in and of itself carries with it more problems to solve.

You got what I was going for, correct? I was saying that I WOULDN'T really feel much better if the Devils were 2-3-1 to start the season, if the victories came on shootouts (with the rest of those games that led up to the shootout part being identical).

In a way I'm glad that the Devils are 0-3-3, in that they're not really getting away with anything...there's clearly issues with their play, and shootout wins aren't helping to cover them up. Schneider said it perfectly...yes, they're close on the scoreboard, but there's not really any one game out of the six that screams "Devils got robbed", unless you want to throw Ryder's waved-off goal in the mix.

I think the most alarming thing about these past 2 games has been their 3rd period play. Both close games that were up for grabs. Not only did they "lose" those periods, but they couldn't generate anything against mediocre opponents

I think the most alarming thing about these past 2 games has been their 3rd period play. Both close games that were up for grabs. Not only did they "lose" those periods, but they couldn't generate anything against mediocre opponents

Past 2? More like Past 5.

The most alarming thing is who they've been losing to - mostly non-playoff teams and their crummy backup goalies.  And the fact that effort's clearly gone backward the last two games.

Edited by NJDevs4978

If Clowe can stay healthy, he can contribute.  I have no doubts.

The most alarming thing is who they've been losing to - mostly non-playoff teams and their crummy backup goalies.  And the fact that effort's clearly gone backward the last two games.

I mean it is a west coast trip and those are usually bad news and it makes sense they'd get worse as they go on. Not that it's an excuse at all, they still shouldn't be 0-6

All the teams we played can definitely make the playoffs.  Well maybe not Calgary.

Edmonton just needs to get a real goalie.  They have a very talented forward core, and a better defense with Ferrence leading the way.

Vancouver is still a good team even if they have fallen back a bit.

Winnipeg has all the pieces to be a playoff team.  Good group of forwards, a solid blueline, and Pavelec is a solid goalie.

The Devils really miss that momentum changer type of player they had in Kovalchuk, in my opinion. There are no numbers to back it up, especially since Kovalchuk hasn't been great 5-on-5, but the team clearly misses his energy. Now, they look so uninspired, and it seems that there's no one there to lift them up.

Honestly, I'm hoping Tedenby gets a game or two soon, because even he could help put a little jump in this team, even if he's horrible defensively.

If Clowe can stay healthy, he can contribute.  I have no doubts.

i would love for him to get traded.. its going to be a long 5 years having to watch this doof every game... wait not every game chances are he will be injured more then he is healthy so maybe it wont be so bad after all.