2013-2014 Lineup/Roster Thread

devilsrule33

A thread to discuss practice lines, game-day lineups, scratches, potential call-ups, waivers, etc. Basically a thread to bitch. 

To start it off, looks like Tedenby is going to make his season debut tomorrow night. Clowe on the IR. That should make things interesting once Clowe is ready to be taken off the IR (after Saturday's game).

Practice lines today according to TG:

Patrik Elias-Adam Henrique-Jaromir Jagr

Mattias Tedenby-Travis Zajac-Michael Ryder

Dainius Zubrus-Andrei Loktiionov-Damien Brunner

Ryan Carter-Stephen Gionta-Steve Bernier 

Bryce Salvador-Marek Zidlicky

Andy Greene-Adam Larsson

Anton Volchenkov-Peter Harrold

So Fayne still the 7th and Deboer sticking with CBGB after Carter returns from his minor injury. Boooo.

Edited by devilsrule33

That Volch/Harrold pairing has got to fvcking go. It might be the worst pairing in the entire league.

A thread to discuss practice lines, game-day lineups, scratches, potential call-ups, waivers, etc. Basically a thread to bitch. 

To start it off, looks like Tedenby is going to make his season debut tomorrow night. Clowe on the IR. That should make things interesting once Clowe is ready to be taken off the IR (after Saturday's game).

Andy Greene-Adam Larsson

So Fayne still the 7th and Deboer sticking with CBGB after Carter returns from his minor injury. Boooo.

Would it really kill the team in DeBoer's mind to sit Stephen Gionta for one game and put Josefson in there in his place? Is that really too much to ask?

On a side note, I'd like to see DeBoer try to put Brunner on the PK in the same way he did with Kovalchuk. He's got the wheels to be a dangerous threat and it could help him bring his defensive game up to par.

I don't think the PK is the right place to try that, unless we wanna bitch about a crappy PK.

Would it really kill the team in DeBoer's mind to sit Stephen Gionta for one game and put Josefson in there in his place? Is that really too much to ask?

Yeah, because he's a "key player" and you don't sit "key players". *sigh*

Brodeur will be starting vs Ottawa. Will be his first game action in 6 days. This early season schedule has been pretty crappy for getting goalies in any groove whatsoever. I know both spoke out about it being an issue. Just another issue early on in this season. Bad enough Brodeur is starting, but the long layoff creates more of a problem. 

Brodeur will be starting vs Ottawa. Will be his first game action in 6 days. This early season schedule has been pretty crappy for getting goalies in any groove whatsoever. I know both spoke out about it being an issue. Just another issue early on in this season. Bad enough Brodeur is starting, but the long layoff creates more of a problem. 

Would love to see Schneider start getting the bulk of the starts sooner than later, but that's not going to happen, for now.  Just hoping it never gets fugly for Marty (as I always do).   

Would love to see Schneider start getting the bulk of the starts sooner than later, but that's not going to happen, for now.  Just hoping it never gets fugly for Marty (as I always do).   

It kind of has, hasn't it? I mean Brodeur has had moments of brilliance, but the individual numbers for each game suck. 3.19 GAA with a .878 save percentage is brutal. Fan's of the teams the Devils are about to play are giggly when they find out Brodeur is playing instead of Schneider. 

It kind of has, hasn't it? I mean Brodeur has had moments of brilliance, but the individual numbers for each game suck. 3.19 GAA with a .878 save percentage is brutal. Fan's of the teams the Devils are about to play are giggly when they find out Brodeur is playing instead of Schneider. 

It's a small sample, which is keeping it from being fugly to me for the moment.  Can I honestly say I expect it to get much better than that?  Not really.  I'm guessing he finishes in the .890s somewhere. 

With Tedenby becoming active and Clowe claiming that he's nearly ready, what does that mean for the roster? Does that mean Gionta will finally be sent down? Other than a trade, I'm not sure what the other options are. I just hope they don't do something crazy like waive Josefson or Olesz. Triumph mentioned a conditioning stint in another thread, which I guess is another possibility?

I don't think Clowe should be rushed at all. Year 1 of a 5-year deal, you've got a player with a history of concussions already feeling dizzy after an elbow to the head. He needs to sit out for a while. That or the Devils and their doctors aren't up to speed with what's going on in sports and brain injuries. 

But when the time comes and Clowe is ready to play...t's tough to say. I guess we will really know how much this organization loves Gionta.

you know what.... changing forward is something, but our plroblem is the fvcking DEFENCE PETE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Turnovers, not breakout, no transition, no speed, no heavy shot , bad defence covering is our fvckin problem... The D are slow (except for greene and ZID)

Captain Salvador and peter harrold on the blue line are killing this team... (PUT MARK FAYNE IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

try the young guy like the Gelinas and merrill... (Kids will make mistake, but our fvcking veteran are turnovers making machine)

Merrill gelinas fayne in...

Get rid of harrold, zidlicky (volchenkov or Salvador). 

It annying when every time the Devils have goos possession number etc they loose game!!!! The Monahan goal and the third winnipeg goal is an example of how pathetic we are at the blue line.... 

If im schnaider and D play like that for 2 year in front of me, no way i resign there

With Tedenby becoming active and Clowe claiming that he's nearly ready, what does that mean for the roster? Does that mean Gionta will finally be sent down? Other than a trade, I'm not sure what the other options are. I just hope they don't do something crazy like waive Josefson or Olesz. Triumph mentioned a conditioning stint in another thread, which I guess is another possibility?

I'd wager that Teddy is going to get one real good last look here while Clowe is out. If he plays well, I bet we trade him, if not, I wouldn't be surprised to see him waived. Anybody really gonna miss Teddy if we lose him?

I doubt that's what it means, but I don't really know what other options they have.  Conditioning stints don't remove a player from the roster.

Andy Greene-Adam Larsson

You know what they say about the definition of insanity...

I'd wager that Teddy is going to get one real good last look here while Clowe is out. If he plays well, I bet we trade him, if not, I wouldn't be surprised to see him waived. Anybody really gonna miss Teddy if we lose him?

I agree that Tedenby is probably getting a final look. Though I don't think he has much (if any at all) trade value and I think it's likely he'd make it thru waivers. I honestly wouldn't lose any sleep if someone else did claim him. This is his chance to show he deserves a roster spot.

You know what they say about the definition of insanity...

I'm not the type that blames Gionta for all things bad in the world. But if you're trying to figure out something that works, you'd have to think that Gionta should have been scratched at least once.

It's times like this where I wish we had a$$hole beat reporters like in Toronto, or better yet Brooksie, to grill Deboer on the Gionta issue specifically. Not even so much with the hope that he'd give into the pressure, but just to get some kind of explanation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm not the type that blames Gionta for all things bad in the world. But if you're trying to figure out something that works, you'd have to think that Gionta should have been scratched at least once.

It's times like this where I wish we had a$$hole beat reporters like in Toronto, or better yet Brooksie, to grill Deboer on the Gionta issue specifically. Not even so much with the hope that he'd give into the pressure, but just to get some kind of explanation.

I don't know..you aren't going to get any beat writers asking about why a 4th-line player is playing, especially an individual who seems to be as well liked as Gionta. It just isn't something that is asked. You might have one ask about Fayne specifically, or why Josefson hasn't gotten much of a look after a good pre-season. 

I'd rather those questions asked. Deboer's thoughts on Gionta are pretty well known. 

I don't know..you aren't going to get any beat writers asking about why a 4th-line player is playing, especially an individual who seems to be as well liked as Gionta. It just isn't something that is asked. You might have one ask about Fayne specifically, or why Josefson hasn't gotten much of a look after a good pre-season.

I'd rather those questions asked. Deboer's thoughts on Gionta are pretty well known.

It would be one thing if it were a top heavy team. But what's been touted is the team's depth. So who's playing on the fourth line, especially when the team hasn't won a game, and where there's one guy that seems to get the benefit of the doubt more than some first liners, is something that ought to get a bit more attention.

But you're also right that it would tie in to who is not playing. A good question from a Brooksie type would be, "what is Stephen Gionta doing to help win games that Josefson can't do better".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The 4th line:  http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=6377

I'd like for Gionta to be out but right now it just isn't an issue.  He's not getting very much ice time.

Devils are currently using a line of Zubrus-Elias-Jagr, all of which are over the age of 35. Josefson has proven he can handle 11-13 minutes a night, which would be an increase to what Gionta is getting. Any option the Devils can keep Jagr and Elias fresh should be explored

Edited by SMantzas