2013-2014 Lineup/Roster Thread

devilsrule33

I would not be opposed to trying Gelinas at wing.  Could it hurt?

I'm actually not opposed to the idea, even long term. Within 2-3 years the Devils foundation of the D could include Greene, Larsson, Merrill, Severson, and Santini. Then they have a lot of guys that could be solid on the 3rd pair like Helgeson, Scarlett, and Gedig. Factor in them probably having 1 or 2 veteran guys and things get a bit crowded and they don't really have much coming up in terms of forward prospects. Play him on the wing at EV and the point on the PP.

It would be nice if Lou did something today, like move Salvador... Please hockey gods? Please?

That's fine, but don't expect the team to be much better with whatever return we get, or whoever replaces him from within.

He's not really the problem with the team. When you're among the best in the league in goals against and shots against, all six of your defenseman must be doing something right.

I guess you could say it would make room for Larsson or Gelinas, which will help the offense. But probably not enough to change the fact that the team will often be required to give up only 1 goal a game to get 2 points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's fine, but don't expect the team to be much better with whatever return we get, or whoever replaces him from within.

He's not really the problem with the team. When you're among the best in the league in goals against and shots against, all six of your defenseman must be doing something right.

I guess you could say it would make room for Larsson or Gelinas, which will help the offense. But probably not enough to change the fact that the team will often be required to give up only 1 goal a game to get 2 points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Lou We Trust had a great piece today about how awesome Salvador has been defensively. He's definitely pulling his weight and making his team better when he's on the ice.

In Lou We Trust had a great piece today about how awesome Salvador has been defensively. He's definitely pulling his weight and making his team better when he's on the ice.

Good thing I wasn't too lazy to click on the link this time, although I sensed something was awry.

In any event, I wasn't trying to say that Salvador is the bees knees.  It's just that getting rid of him won't change the team's fortunes all that much, and certainly not for the remainder of this year, unless the return is an absolute fleecing. 

And as I read the ILWT article, it just says that he's the worse defenseman on the team.  Even if it's true (for example, let's assume that the shot attempts against on the ice while he's on the ice is purely a product of his stinkiness), the Devils are the best, or among the best, in the league in shots against.  So unless there's something that says that replacing Salvador with Larsson, Gelinas or Harrold would reduce the shots against significantly, then his poor play relative to everyone else on the team is neither here nor there.  I kind of doubt that anyone could reliably make that prediction, since it's very hard to get much better at shot prevention than the Devils are now, especially when you factor in who a realistic replacement would be.

I suppose you could squeeze out a little more offense with Larsson or Gelinas.  And even if you assume that Larsson isn't a sure bet to have two bad defensive zone turnovers every game, the Devils defense is not all of the sudden going to turn into something that is historically good, which is kind of what a team that can't score at all will need to have any kind of success.

I get it, where the Devils are at right now, they need to squeeze everything out of their roster as they possibly can.  But if that's the state of the team, the problems go way way beyond Salvador.

We already knew he didn't listen to Jagr when he put Josefson back in witness protection right after Jagr pumped him up publicly. Can't have the kids getting any confidence.

He moved Loktionov to the top line. Response: 'Deboer hates the young players'. It's like there's just blindness about anything the coach does at this point.

He moved Loktionov to the top line. Response: 'Deboer hates the young players'. It's like there's just blindness about anything the coach does at this point.

After he's scratched him for the last eight games - following by the way scoring the game-tying goal in Colorado.  Come on Tri, you know Loik's getting like ten minutes with Jagr at most and then he'll go back to purgatory.

Edited by NJDevs4978

After he's scratched him for the last eight games - following by the way scoring the game-tying goal in Colorado.  Come on Tri, you know Loik's getting like ten minutes with Jagr at most and then he'll go back to purgatory.

I don't know that at all. Loktionov was used plenty last year.  He needs to be better defensively but if he is playing well in that regard and contributing offensively he will be in the lineup.

Where he'll play for all of 10 minutes, maybe.  PDB will then throw him onto the 4th line or bench him, and go back to his familiar lines.  Just like he did with JJ.

Where he'll play for all of 10 minutes, maybe.  PDB will then throw him onto the 4th line or bench him, and go back to his familiar lines.  Just like he did with JJ.

Loktionov has played in 42 games this year.  He has played most of them off the 4th line - indeed, he averages 13:31 ice time per game.  I can understand this attitude, though, because Loktionov has not done all that much with that ice time, so sometimes it can be hard to notice him.

This is what bugs me.  If you're gonna make a move like that, play them for the same 17-20 minutes as a normal top line center would play.  Boucher when here was getting 12 minutes a game.

This is what bugs me. If you're gonna make a move like that, play them for the same 17-20 minutes as a normal top line center would play. Boucher when here was getting 12 minutes a game.

this is fair so long as you understand that toi doesn't occur in a vacuum- by giving loktionov more minutes it takes away from zajac's and henrique's, and I'm jot sure that's the right thing to do. Similarly with Boucher you'd be taking minutes from clowe zubrus and elias(when he was healthy). Edited by dmann422

this is fair so long as you understand that toi doesn't occur in a vacuum- by giving loktionov more minutes it takes away from zajac's and henrique's, and I'm jot sure that's the right thing to do. Similarly with Boucher you'd be taking minutes from clowe zubrus and elias(when he was healthy).

True but I don't think an additional 3-4 minutes is a huge deal.

True but I don't think an additional 3-4 minutes is a huge deal.

3-4 minutes a game becomes a big deal. Since you play that much more over a longer period of time. You can't score if you're not on the ice. If you consistently take that time away from a better player to give to an inferior one, you will get less goals overall.  

Edited by Sneax

3-4 minutes a game becomes a big deal. Since you play that much more over a longer period of time. You can't score if you're not on the ice. If you consistently take that time away from a better player to give to an inferior one, you will get less goals overall.  

Well you can simply take away minutes from the CBGB line as well.