2013-2014 Lineup/Roster Thread

devilsrule33

Why is broduer playing? Did we throw in the towel on the season? I see no reason why CS can't mentally and physically be ready to play every game left on our schedule.

I can't argue with Marty playing one of these. You have a backup for a reason, and I would imagine that 4 games in 6 days is much more demanding than just a back to back.

I can't argue with Marty playing one of these. You have a backup for a reason, and I would imagine that 4 games in 6 days is much more demanding than just a back to back.

I would 100percent agree with you if Marty was playing as a back up from super early on in the season. Marty has set this team back a few wins at this point, and we have limited time to make up those points. I feel the team is in a position where they have no choice to ride Cory hard for the remainder of the year given how close the race is and how there isn't much opportunity to make up lost ground.

And I honestly believe Cory can take anything we throw at him this seaosn, this is a guy that has played 2nd fiddle all his career when he should be the number 1. He won't give two fvcks, he would actually be excited to play so much (at least my guess is that he would).

As much as I'd prefer Cory play every game, Marty needs a game here and there. If he plays the Isles game, I won't be surprised.

Hopefully they would have traded Vanek by then.  And with no Tavares, their lineup would be depleted.

Speaking of Vanek, I have a trade proposal that I'd do.  You guys will probably disagree though.

2015 conditional 1st if Vanek re-signs

Eric Gelinas

2014 2nd

Keith Kinkaid

for

Thomas Vanek

Edited by Mike Brown

Vanek wants to play in Minni, the trade you proposed has us basically lossing Gelinas Kinkaid and a 2nd for a guy that wants to take off to Minnesota next year.

Unless you have a very short memory we just lost ZP to the wild, hence my comment.

I would much rather trade for Moulson

Kinkaid + Fayne and a 2nd for moulson.

Edited by Sneax
  • Like 1

Vanek wants to play in Minni, the trade you proposed has us basically lossing Gelinas Kinkaid and a 2nd for a guy that wants to take off to Minnesota next year.

Unless you have a very short memory we just lost ZP to the wild, hence my comment.

I would much rather trade for Moulson

Kinkaid + Fayne and a 2nd for moulson.

I doubt that would be enough since Fayne is a UFA.  Our 2015 first would need to be added. at least.

I doubt that would be enough since Fayne is a UFA.  Our 2015 first would need to be added. at least.

You have a slight point I suppose, I meant to throw yayo in there as well. Moulson is also an UFA so there is that.

In fairness, there's no guaranteeing Moulson sticks around next year either.

Yea but its not going around that he wants to play in his hometown. Unlike vanek. And we would have to give up less for moulson than vanek.

Edited by Sneax

glad that sal gets to stay - he created offense in the playoffs 2 years ago for 6 games.

meh, I think sal and Volch are pretty much on the same level, sal gets more hate because he a) is the captain and b) gets more toi.

I'd prefer both sit for Larsson and Merrill. Also I didn't look at TG's lines but I'm assuming Merrill is the one playing the right side with gelinas on the left.

Edited by dmann422

I'm going to be frustrated if Volchenkov sitting out becomes a regular occurence while Salvador still gets to play. That damn C unfortunately.

I am pleased to see Merrill and Gelinas in with DeBoer's boy Harrold sitting though. I also like the move to have Henrique on the wing with Elias and Brunner as well as Loktionov inbetween Clowe and Ryder if TG's expected lines are correct.

I'm going to be frustrated if Volchenkov sitting out becomes a regular occurence while Salvador still gets to play. That damn C unfortunately.

Maybe we'll be lucky, and it's Lou's way of showcasing Salvador and pretending that he's still a top defenseman in a great defensive unit.  And we may get luckier still that Salvador actually plays well for the next couple of games. 

The only team that has benefited from Vanek has been Buffalo in trading him away.  They are getting a fantastic return for him from the Islanders and will get even more when they deal Moulsen.   

Tim Murray is going to make the Sabres a contender in the next few years.

The only team that has benefited from Vanek has been Buffalo in trading him away. They are getting a fantastic return for him from the Islanders and will get even more when they deal Moulsen.

Tim Murray is going to make the Sabres a contender in the next few years.

correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't regier still gm when vanek was traded? Also I think buffalo is at least 3 years away especially if they trade miller.

Salvador's the captain of course he's going to stay.  Volchenkov out is a good sign going forward.

if you want to say it's a good sign because the devils are giving the kids a shot or because they only need one of sal/anton in the lineup, i'll begrudgingly agree to your statement. but sal fvcking sucks and is clearly the least effective defenseman on this team.

you will not be the only one. his play has not warranted being a healthy scratch while salvador's clearly has but alas - screaming at the rain.

if you want to say it's a good sign because the devils are giving the kids a shot or because they only need one of sal/anton in the lineup, i'll begrudgingly agree to your statement. but sal fvcking sucks and is clearly the least effective defenseman on this team.

you will not be the only one. his play has not warranted being a healthy scratch while salvador's clearly has but alas - screaming at the rain.

What sucks is the complete BS praise Deboer gives (forced to give, probably) Sal, but I haven't heard any compliments coming Volch's way. He has been very solid and much more valuable than Salvador.

Edit: I mean I completely understand what Deboer has to do, but there is another veteran defenseman that brings everything you praise Sal for and more, and he is sitting.

Edited by devilsrule33

I don't think Volchenkov has been 'very solid' - he's been a passable 3rd pairing D who helps out on the PK.  I mean yeah Salvador is a tire fire and I hope the layoff has helped him some but I doubt it.

Going forward, the team cannot have both of these guys next year.  They just have too many better defensemen.

I don't think Volchenkov has been 'very solid' - he's been a passable 3rd pairing D who helps out on the PK.  I mean yeah Salvador is a tire fire and I hope the layoff has helped him some but I doubt it.

Going forward, the team cannot have both of these guys next year.  They just have too many better defensemen.

Is it fair to say that if DeBoer is back next year then Volchenkov gets the compliance buyout? Yeah, Lou has final say but I get the impression that Salvador is one of DeBoer's favorites and having him with 1 year left as opposed to 2 for Volchenkov could factor into it. Volchenkov has the higher cap hit too (not that the cap is an issue for the Devils). 

totally fair. and again, my bias is making this unfair.

i suppose saying that, on its face, where two defensemen are similar, and one has one year left at $3.1MM while the other has two at $4.2 and isn't the captain, you take the one with one year left.

but sal is such fvcking hot garbage while volchenkov is totally fine for what he does aggravates me to no end.

Is it fair to say that if DeBoer is back next year then Volchenkov gets the compliance buyout? Yeah, Lou has final say but I get the impression that Salvador is one of DeBoer's favorites and having him with 1 year left as opposed to 2 for Volchenkov could factor into it. Volchenkov has the higher cap hit too (not that the cap is an issue for the Devils). 

unfortunately, i don't think it matters who is the coach. the only way, i think anton doesn't get bought out (or moved) is if lou continues with his "i like a logjam defense" roster strategy.

that being said, there is certainly a scenario where both are here next year:

greene-larsson

gelinas-merrill

volchenkov-salvador

harrold

zidlicky and fayne are both UFA. the other 7 are not.