Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
devilsrule33

2013-2014 Lineup/Roster Thread

1,544 posts in this topic

I don't think Volchenkov has been 'very solid' - he's been a passable 3rd pairing D who helps out on the PK.  I mean yeah Salvador is a tire fire and I hope the layoff has helped him some but I doubt it.

Going forward, the team cannot have both of these guys next year.  They just have too many better defensemen.

totally fair. and again, my bias is making this unfair.

i suppose saying that, on its face, where two defensemen are similar, and one has one year left at $3.1MM while the other has two at $4.2 and isn't the captain, you take the one with one year left.

but sal is such fvcking hot garbage while volchenkov is totally fine for what he does aggravates me to no end.

Is it fair to say that if DeBoer is back next year then Volchenkov gets the compliance buyout? Yeah, Lou has final say but I get the impression that Salvador is one of DeBoer's favorites and having him with 1 year left as opposed to 2 for Volchenkov could factor into it. Volchenkov has the higher cap hit too (not that the cap is an issue for the Devils). 

unfortunately, i don't think it matters who is the coach. the only way, i think anton doesn't get bought out (or moved) is if lou continues with his "i like a logjam defense" roster strategy.

that being said, there is certainly a scenario where both are here next year:

greene-larsson

gelinas-merrill

volchenkov-salvador

harrold

zidlicky and fayne are both UFA. the other 7 are not.

correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't regier still gm when vanek was traded? Also I think buffalo is at least 3 years away especially if they trade miller.

I don't know and its not even relevant who the GM was at the time.  They fleeced the Islanders and Moulsen and Miller will provide alot of quality picks to build from.   Murray is an excellent talent evaluator.  I would say in two years the Sabres will be very competitive.

unfortunately, i don't think it matters who is the coach. the only way, i think anton doesn't get bought out (or moved) is if lou continues with his "i like a logjam defense" roster strategy.

that being said, there is certainly a scenario where both are here next year:

greene-larsson

gelinas-merrill

volchenkov-salvador

harrold

zidlicky and fayne are both UFA. the other 7 are not.

I don't think buying out volch would be a Lou thing to do. And the more I think about it the more I think zidlicky might be back next year (unfortunately IMO).

I don't know and its not even relevant who the GM was at the time.  They fleeced the Islanders and Moulsen and Miller will provide alot of quality picks to build from.   Murray is an excellent talent evaluator.  I would say in two years the Sabres will be very competitive.

no doubt it was a great trade, especially if the islanders fall on their face again next year and they get a top 10 pick, but a lot of that roster will have to be rehauled before they can be any sort of a cup contender.

I'm not knocking Murray but Regier deserves some credit for when the turn around happens. He's the one who completed the Vanek trade and left Murray with an excellent prospect group (ranked 3rd by Hockey Prospectus). He also got Murray another asset to trade away in Moulson. He could have left the organization a lot worse off than he did. 

Sal looks as bad as ever. Hopefully he can get it going, but I don't know...

really? I thought he's had a strong game- not amazing but he made some nice solid plays

really? I thought he's had a strong game- not amazing but he made some nice solid plays

Agreed.  I liked his game a lot tonight.  That was an insane block he had.  Hopefully he's ok.

He fumbled a few pucks and was lost on the second CBJ goal

Any status on Brunner and Salvador? If both are out I wonder what the lines look like tomorrow. If it's a long term thing I wonder of they bring up Larsson just go with 7 d- gelinas was pretty bad 5v5 last night and bernier can play with henrique and Elias.

Maybe just wishful thinking...

Sal looks as bad as ever. Hopefully he can get it going, but I don't know...

I thought he was pretty good and I'm usually his biggest critic. Hope he's okay, that block looked paaaaainful.

yeah Salvador was as bad as usual - made a nice block and had a good play or two, but there were several where he was just lost.  Given that there was no update on his condition last night I think he'll be out a while and that means Volchenkov draws into the lineup.

Part of me is upset that we have to have Bernier slot into the second line when we neeed goal scoring to replace Brunner. I wish we only carried 7D and that way we could've thrown Boucher or even Matteau in there today.

yeah Salvador was as bad as usual - made a nice block and had a good play or two, but there were several where he was just lost. Given that there was no update on his condition last night I think he'll be out a while and that means Volchenkov draws into the lineup.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/good_chance_salvador_will_play_saturday_despite_bruised_collarbone_brunner_out_with_charley_horse/

Looks like we just can't get Sal out of the lineup lol.

Sal playing at less than 100% is not very appealing. I hate this whole hockey mentality, "I have to fight through this pain"

Sal at less than 100% is horrifying. Combined with Marty in net, and I'm nervous as fvck about this game.

Sal playing at less than 100% is not very appealing. I hate this whole hockey mentality, "I have to fight through this pain"

Pretty sure PDB will sit him down and play Volchenkov when they have 8 D at hand.

I knew this would happen. Brodeur starts Tuesday.

I have no clue what the fvck is going on in this organization. Just bend over Lou and Pete for Brodeur.

I feel sorry for Cory. I feel sorry for fans. I'm also fvcking pissed.

I knew this would happen. Brodeur starts Tuesday.

I have no clue what the fvck is going on in this organization. Just bend over Lou and Pete for Brodeur.

I feel sorry for Cory. I feel sorry for fans. I'm also fvcking pissed.

wait. what. they can't be this stupid

Damn, that's gonna be an emotional night if it's Marty's last game. Kinda wish I hadn't sold my tickets for that one.

If this is it for Brodeur I'm okay with it.  If it is not, it's just a bad move.

This is the biggest game of the year. You start who you think gives you the best chance to win.

1) If you think it is Brodeur, Lou should go out and say, we aren't trading the goalie who we think gives us the best chance to win.

2) If you want to give Brodeur the start for one final send off, I mean there better be an agreement between Brodeur, Cory, and the team he is being traded to that we are holding off on a deal because Brodeur deserves one final home game.

3) If there is no trade and Brodeur plays well, well then I imagine you keep going with Brodeur and really alienate the better goalie.

4) If there is a trade or no trade and Brodeur plays poorly, you might have punted the season.

The only good scenario is that Brodeur plays very well and gets traded right after. The rest is just a disaster.

Edited by devilsrule33

This is the biggest game of the year. You start who you think gives you the best chance to win.

1) If you think it is Brodeur, Lou should go out and say, we aren't trading the goalie who we think gives us the best chance to win.

2) If you want to give Brodeur the start for one final send off, I mean there better be an agreement between Brodeur, Cory, and the team he is being traded to that we are holding off on a deal because Brodeur deserves one final home game.

3) If there is no trade and Brodeur plays well, well then I imagine you keep going with Brodeur and really alienate the better goalie.

4) If there is a trade or no trade and Brodeur plays poorly, you might have punted the season.

The only good scenario is that Brodeur plays very well and gets traded right after. The rest is just a disaster.

5) They feel Brodeur earned another start this week and they have a back-to-back with travel this weekend so they want to use Cory in both of those instead.