GDT 7: Devils @ Senators aka first win of the season 730pm MSG+

ZeroGravityFat

He's still playing either way.   Trying to stretch Schnieder to 60 games will probably just get him hurt or burn him out, especially with this wonderful schedule.   But you gotta be better than he was on the second goal.   Getting beat is bad, but not being ready for a shot is worse.

How often does it end pretty for the legends?  Sadly, not often at all.  Regardless of how this season turns out for Marty, I really hope he calls it a career.  I feel like I'm holding my breath every time a puck comes his way.  I hate feeling that way about him.

Stevens and Neids went out when they knew it was time....before looking foolish

Problem is Marty can't adjust well to not playing every game...but he isn't good enough to merit playing every game anymore, especially with Schnieder around.

Stevens and Neids went out when they knew it was time....before looking foolish

Stevens didn't have much of a choice.  Nieds I agree but I don't think he wanted to hang around on a fringe team either, he'd already accomplished everything he could in hockey.

I'm still kinda of the opinion that Marty should've retired after the cup run..but of course, then the Devils don't probably get Schneider so...

But I think that playoff run was the last 'great-ish' goaltending we'll ever see from Marty.  Sad, but father time doesn't wait for anyone..

I've ben saying this for a while.  For about 50 games (after a rough start), he put up about a .920 save%, right through the end of those playoffs.  I think that was the best of what he had left.

If the Devils insist on treating him like the Marty of old and think he's got anywhere near another run like that in him, it's going to be a huge mistake.  No nice way to say it.  And with Schneider on the team, there's no reason to try to make it happen, as the expense of a team with damned near zero margin for error right now.

Problem is Marty can't adjust well to not playing every game...but he isn't good enough to merit playing every game anymore, especially with Schnieder around.

Stevens didn't have much of a choice.  Nieds I agree but I don't think he wanted to hang around on a fringe team either, he'd already accomplished everything he could in hockey.

And Niedermayer hung on too long too.   It wasn't pretty defensively when he went down to slightly above average speed

Marty is a double edged sword. He's got the most wins of any goaltender, but he's also got the most losses of any goaltender.

C'mon, he's also played the most games.  It's not he's a .500ish compiler.

I'm just pointing out the good and the bad. I don't know what I'm trying to say. I mean Reggie Jackson hit a bunch of home runs, but he also had a ton of strikeouts. I'm starting to sound like PK.

He's got a career .620 point percentage.    That has to be one of the higher ones in modern hockey history, it averages 102 points a season on a single goalie

Edited by maxpower

The Devils owned the play the final 7 minutes or so of the period.  If Marty stops those two bad goals, it's still 0-0.

They were on the PP the entire time, I would hope so.   At some point you just have to realize they may be bad.    They've gotten 1 point with Schneider in net and he's clearly been better