GDT 7: Devils @ Senators aka first win of the season 730pm MSG+

ZeroGravityFat

cant just get up and give up on marty like this.. hes older hes not as good as he once was but fans still need to support him.

No true Devils fan can "give up" on Marty... but it is becoming clear quite quickly that Schneider should be starting close to 60 games this year, and we know that is not happening.

Gionta is freaking terrible and does not belong on NHL ice. There's no opinion or debate about that. He is a negative.

He's by far the hardest worker out there, and makes a ton of hustle and hard-nosed plays no one else is willing to. He's not the best finisher, but he creates opportunities every night. And he's seemingly the only one willing to play a physical game.

No true Devils fan can "give up" on Marty... but it is becoming clear quite quickly that Schneider should be starting close to 60 games this year, and we know that is not happening.

honestly it is what it is the team isnt playing well in front of either goalie so it doesnt really make that much of a difference.. i dont see this group going too far anyway. Especially the way that it is right now

Totally agree- thank you for injecting some sanity to the Gio argument. Him and Volcheckov will always be the go-to guys around here when it comes to blamefor losses.... somehow people think that Fayne and Josefson would magically make the difference in each of these games.

I'm not the biggest fan of either, but Pete playing them over JJ and Fayne is not the reason we are losing. People are just looking for things to pile on Pete about, when clearly Marty has not been sharp in any of his games and the offense as a whole hasn't clicked yet.

I'm not going to argue that not playing these guys is losing us games, but Jo can really become a strong player, and I'd love to see him get the ice time I think he deserves. But by no means is that going to change the results, but if he's developed well (not a great chance in this organization) he could be a core player down the line, I think.

He's by far the hardest worker out there, and makes a ton of hustle and hard-nosed plays no one else is willing to. He's not the best finisher, but he creates opportunities every night. And he's seemingly the only one willing to play a physical game.

Hardest worker does not equate to deserving ice time.

Hell, give me some skates and I'll try my darnedest for the Devils. Does that mean I deserve a spot?

Let me answer that: No. I'm terrible. And so is Gionta.

I'm not going to argue that not playing these guys is losing us games, but Jo can really become a strong player, and I'd love to see him get the ice time I think he deserves. But by no means is that going to change the results, but if he's developed well (not a great chance in this organization) he could be a core player down the line, I think.

I agree that Josefson should have a spot somewhere and Gionta should not have a guaranteed spot in the lineup (I think hes a good 13th forward who can spot start to bring energy). What I have a problem with is people who are obsessed with it like its our biggest problem right now.

Hell, give me some skates and I'll try my darnedest for the Devils. Does that mean I deserve a spot?

We've got Volchenkov who plays 15 minutes a night and literally costs us a goal against a game.  We've got Brodeur who gives up at least one soft goal a game.  Most of our key offensive players are on the back of milk cartons.  But let's pick on the role player who gets 10-12 minutes a night and actually was one of the better players tonight.

The Jets suck.   If they make the playoffs it'll only be because no one misses the playoffs in the West and two potential playoff teams moved east.

You're in denial right now.

I'm not in denial at all.  If the Devils actually were sucking, I'd be the first to say it.  I'm as objective as anyone here.  

The Jets are in one of the best divisions in the sport.  If they make the playoffs, it's because they're a good team.

I agree that Josefson should have a spot somewhere and Gionta should not have a guaranteed spot in the lineup (I think hes a good 13th forward who can spot start to bring energy). What I have a problem with is people who are obsessed with it like its our biggest problem right now.

the player that performs best is the player that should be playing.. everyone on here thinks they are some type of coach going on and on about who should be sitting and who should be playing.. obviously these people know nothing more then what they see on tv they dont know what goes on behind the camera during practice etc. ... and i agree what a small issue to be hung up on how about our slow ass D or our forwards who can barely put any pucks in the oppositions net and the players that are leaving the goalies out for dead.. alot of other key issues that we see going on

I love Marty but he was absolutely atrocious. It's painful to watch him go out like this. Rough night for Loktionov, 0/8 Faceoffs, least amount of time at EV with 8:48, no shots. Tedenby was bad as expected. -3, no shots, bad penalty in 9:40. Honestly don't care when he gets waived. Brunner's been disappointing after his nice start.

I don't think highly of Gionta but the 4th line was without a doubt a positive tonight. Gionta (assist, 5 shots, 5/9 faceoffs, 12:02), Bernier (goal, 5 shots, 13:40), Carter (2 shots, 12:14). The trio of them did well in possession tonight but did have some pretty favorable zone starts. With that said, it's just one game.

Have to wonder what goes through Fayne's and Josefson's minds while they sit in the press box game after game watching this terrible start.

I'm not in denial at all.  If the Devils actually were sucking, I'd be the first to say it.  I'm as objective as anyone here.  

The Jets are in one of the best divisions in the sport.  If they make the playoffs, it's because they're a good team.

They're only 7 teams in the division and 5 could make it.   Anyways, it's not a "good" division, it's two strong teams and a 3rd that's gotten off to a flying start.

And four other mediocre teams

I love Marty but he was absolutely atrocious. It's painful to watch him go out like this. Rough night for Loktionov, 0/8 Faceoffs, least amount of time at EV with 8:48, no shots. Tedenby was bad as expected. -3, no shots, bad penalty in 9:40. Honestly don't care when he gets waived. Brunner's been disappointing after his nice start.

I don't think highly of Gionta but the 4th line was without a doubt a positive tonight. Gionta (assist, 5 shots, 5/9 faceoffs, 12:02), Bernier (goal, 5 shots, 13:40), Carter (2 shots, 12:14). The trio of them did well in possession tonight but did have some pretty favorable zone starts. With that said, it's just one game.

Have to wonder what goes through Fayne's and Josefson's minds while they sit in the press box game after game watching this terrible start.

To be fair to Tedenby, his -3 was total happenstance.   The only mistake I saw on any of those goals was a bad clear by Zubrus on the first

Edited by maxpower

neither the jets or the devils are a good team so far this season.. clearly still winless and the only team in the whole damn league that hasnt even won a game yet. we took a bad team last year and tried to do the best we could with what was available on the market which wasnt anything great.. clarkson walks and we tried replacing him with slowe. kovy walks and hes not replaceable at all.. they added jagr who is old as hell and wayyy past his prime also quite slow.. olesz who i think has played what 1 game so far? not even good enough for a roster spot. Brunner who netted up a few goals earlier and hasnt done too much the past few games so who knows how he will end up working out and ryder who looked like he has trouble walking the puck out of his own end into offensive territory. Schneider who will most likely play less games then marty how many less who knows but either way an entire team that leaves the two goalies for dead. HA

honestly it is what it is the team isnt playing well in front of either goalie so it doesnt really make that much of a difference.. i dont see this group going too far anyway. Especially the way that it is right now

On one hand you say don't give up on Marty and then the other you basically give up on the team as a whole... doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I know we're discouraged now but everyone needs some perspective. After ten games last year we were atop the Conference and dominated the Pens. Heck in the Maclean era we sucked a whole lot worse than this for a whole lot longer and still just barely missed the playoffs.

To give up on the season now (or in Sterio's case, to give up on the next 5 seasons, it seems) is so naive that it makes me laugh... which is good considering I'm pissed right now.

On one hand you say don't give up on Marty and then the other you basically give up on the team as a whole... doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I know we're discouraged now but everyone needs some perspective. After ten games last year we were atop the Conference and dominated the Pens. Heck in the Maclean era we sucked a whole lot worse than this for a whole lot longer and still just barely missed the playoffs.

To give up on the season now (or in Sterio's case, to give up on the next 5 seasons, it seems) is so naive that it makes me laugh... which is good considering I'm pissed right now.

The MacLean era was nine wins in 33 games.

This Devils team with DeBoer has eleven wins in 42 games.

Hes the only one thats got the balls to scrap in front of the net and play an all around physical game. Hes one of the only guys whos playing respectable hockey right now. Hes an invaluable asset to the team.

i dont think the fan base should give up on marty or the team for the matter.. you can have some faith and continue to support the group but realistically realize that their level of play right now is obviously not going to get them far at all... which is what i was saying. hope that clears that up ;)