2013-2014 Attendance

Mike Brown

Not true. You need a bachelor's degree minimum. Any other kind of education such as communications degrees and criminal justice degrees are helpful but not mandatory. A lot of cops actually go back to school for the other two while on the job.

Straight from the NJSP website:

"A candidate must have: (1) a bachelor's degree; OR (2) possess a minimum of 90 credits and will complete their degree by a specified date prior to the written examination. The deadline for completing a bachelor's degree under option 2 and remaining eligible will be announced at the time of initial application. (3) OR a candidate must have an associate's degree or 60 college credits, PLUS at least 24 months of satisfactory employment or military experience; OR (4) 30 college credits, PLUS at least 24 months of active duty military service with an honorable discharge. All college degrees/credits must be from an accredited college or university."

Totally don't need a degree.

From the NJ State Association of Chiefs of Police:

"Qualifications for Becoming a Law Enforcement Officer

New Jersey law sets the basic requirements for becoming a law enforcement officer. However, potential applicants are strongly encouraged to contact agencies directly to enquire as to any specific requirements for employment.

In general, no person may be appointed to a police department unless he or she:

• is a citizen of the United States

• is sound in body and of good health sufficient to satisfy the board of trustees of the police and firemen's retirement system of New Jersey as to his eligibility for membership in the retirement system

• is able to read, write and speak the English language well and intelligently

• is of good moral character, and has not been convicted of any criminal offense involving moral turpitude

• shall not be less than 21 or over 35 years of age [Civil Service rules have some exemptions and alternate provisions in this regard]"

Edited by ATLL765

Straight from the NJSP website:

"A candidate must have: (1) a bachelor's degree; OR (2) possess a minimum of 90 credits and will complete their degree by a specified date prior to the written examination. The deadline for completing a bachelor's degree under option 2 and remaining eligible will be announced at the time of initial application. (3) OR a candidate must have an associate's degree or 60 college credits, PLUS at least 24 months of satisfactory employment or military experience; OR (4) 30 college credits, PLUS at least 24 months of active duty military service with an honorable discharge. All college degrees/credits must be from an accredited college or university."

Totally don't need a degree.

You're focusing on #4 only and making it looks like it applies to the whole. There's more cops that fall into 1-3 then 4, even though it's a dirty little secret how most depts. prefer military training and they do discriminate.

You're focusing on #4 only and making it looks like it applies to the whole. There's more cops that fall into 1-3 then 4, even though it's a dirty little secret how most depts. prefer military training and they do discriminate.

Let me quote your last post here:

"You need a bachelor's degree minimum".

Then I proved you wrong. Or were you being sarcastic?

Edited by ATLL765

Let me quote your last post here:

"You need a bachelor's degree minimum".

Then I proved you wrong. Or were you being sarcastic?

A minimum education requirement is a bachelors degree for 1-3. If you have a criminal and communications, that's even better. There are more cops that are hired 1-3 then 4. You've got a pretty big problem with cops so you're selectively choosing. You focused in on #4 and ignored 1-3. I see what you're doing though, you're trying to poke a hole in what i said using a 4th requirement which is made up of a quota anyway (which they will never admit to)

If you don't have a degree then your military training trumps as 30 college credits in the military is probably an E-4 grade anyway. All things being relative the "military" degree they view the same as a college degree. 

Oh, and get off the "sarcastic" comeback each time we answer each other, it was old the first time and the 345 times you've bought it up, which is usually soon after the second(or third) exchange we have. 

Edited by TheRedStorm

A minimum education requirement is a bachelors degree for 1-3. If you have a criminal and communications, that's even better. There are more cops that are hired 1-3 then 4. You've got a pretty big problem with cops so you're selectively choosing. You focused in on #4 and ignored 1-3. I see what you're doing though, you're trying to poke a hole in what i said using a 4th requirement which is made up of a quota anyway (which they will never admit to)

If you don't have a degree then your military training trumps as 30 college credits in the military is probably an E-4 grade anyway. All things being relative the "military" degree they view the same as a college degree. 

Oh, and get off the "sarcastic" comeback each time we answer each other, it was old the first time and the 345 times you've bought it up, which is usually soon after the second(or third) exchange we have. 

You said the degree was a minimum, but it's not. So what is your point again?

Only 1 and 2 require bachelor's degrees.  The third option only requires an associate's degree or 60 credits, which is only about half of a bachelor's degree, and it doesn't require military experience either as long as you have two years of "satisfactory employment."  Also since you were talking about the MINIMUM education requirement, it doesn't make sense for you to say that 1-3 (really it is just 1 and 2) require a bachelor's degree, because 3 and 4 establish that the minimum requirement is lower than a bachelor's degree.  ATLL is obviously correct here that you don't need a bachelor's degree to be a police officer.

Also I don't know if municipal police and corrections officers have different requirements than what was posted above or something, but I know plenty of police officers who not only don't have an associate's degree, but they don't even have any college credits at all, and they have no military experience either.

Edited by devilsfan26

Only 1 and 2 require bachelor's degrees.  The third option only requires an associate's degree or 60 credits, which is only about half of a bachelor's degree, and it doesn't require military experience either as long as you have two years of "satisfactory employment."  Also since you were talking about the MINIMUM education requirement, it doesn't make sense for you to say that 1-3 (really it is just 1 and 2) require a bachelor's degree, because 3 and 4 establish that the minimum requirement is lower than a bachelor's degree.

Also I don't know if municipal police are different or something, but I know plenty of police officers who have a total of zero college credits and zero military experience.

I have relatives in two police depts in central NJ. We've had this discussion plenty and they agree and know first hand that without a bachelors, you aren't going to be a cop it doesn't matter what the guidelines are 1-4 (with 4 being the quota hire). I'm going to take their words over all else. It's no different then any other job that discriminates, but says they don't. 

Knowing some of you around here, i probably should have phrased it along the lines of that instead. My pal above is painting with a wide brush because he has a personal problem with the police. I take exception to that because it simply isn't true.

Edited by TheRedStorm
  • Like 1

I have relatives in two police depts in central NJ. We've had this discussion plenty and they agree and know first hand that without a bachelors, you aren't going to be a cop it doesn't matter what the guidelines are 1-4 (with 4 being the quota hire). I'm going to take their words over all else. It's no different then any other job that discriminates, but says they don't. 

Knowing some of you around here, i probably should have phrased it along the lines of that instead. My pal above is painting with a wide brush because he has a personal problem with the police. I take exception to that because it simply isn't true.

I posted a quote from the state police website and another law enforcement site. It's black and white. It's NOT a requirement.

wow.. this doesnt sound like attendance talk.. but since everyone thinks they know everything ill tell you exactly how it is .. i do not have a college degree and i start the academy in 20 days.. you in fact do not need a college degree to get a job as a police officer.. and no i dont have any military background either.

I posted a quote from the state police website and another law enforcement site. It's black and white. It's NOT a requirement.

And i just shared input from two family members, one happens to be a chief. I bet you also believe in equal opportunity hiring, fair hiring practices and no such thing as a quota. What makes you think just because it's law enforcement, it's any different? 

You can qualify under 1-4, go through the academy, take the written and it still doesn't mean you'll be a police offer. They're going to take the most educated candidates first. 

Edited by TheRedStorm

wow.. this doesnt sound like attendance talk.. but since everyone thinks they know everything ill tell you exactly how it is .. i do not have a college degree and i start the academy in 20 days.. you in fact do not need a college degree to get a job as a police officer.. and no i dont have any military background either.

I just lost all respect for law enforcement then.

i also have family members who are cops as well and they do not know everything when it comes to requirements either.. as i said already i dont have a degree and i start in the academy next month.. to be a basic patrol officer it is not needed, you can have a combination of just 60 college credits, 30 college credits and 1yr full time work experience, or 2 years of full time work experience. However certain positions when you are eligible for promotions do require some type of a degree

And i just shared input from two family members, one happens to be a chief. I bet you also believe in equal opportunity hiring, fair hiring practices and no such thing as a quota. What makes you think just because it's law enforcement, it's any different? 

You can qualify under 1-4, go through the academy, take the written and it still doesn't mean you'll be a police offer. They're going to take the most educated candidates first. 

Holy sh!t. Get over it. That's not a requirement, it's a preference. You seriously need to take an English class.

I just lost all respect for law enforcement then.

probably because you constantly think you are correct when i just proved you wrong.. im going through the process of it currently.. so i hate to tell you sir.. (i mean i guess i can call you sir you argue and act like a man..probably look like one also) that you in fact are not correct, once again.

Holy sh!t. Get over it. That's not a requirement, it's a preference. You seriously need to take an English class.

Look who's talking you snotty little brat. You're the one who carried it on this far. 

Edited by TheRedStorm

probably because you constantly think you are correct when i just proved you wrong.. im going through the process of it currently.. so i hate to tell you sir.. (i mean i guess i can call you sir you argue and act like a man..probably look like one also) that you in fact are not correct, once again.

You haven't proved anything, but being accepted. Getting a job after is another. 

By the way, i think you're nothing but a punk.

Edited by TheRedStorm

perfect quote just to show you really dont know what the hell you are talking about... at all "go through the academy, take the written and it still doesn't mean you'll be a police officer" ... you dont even know the process yet your trying to argue with people.. you dont go through the academy then take a written moron that wouldnt make much sense now would it.. you take a written which you have to score high enough to even get close to progressing usually higher then a 90. You then get a letter and you have to go take a pretty extensive physical (this varies from academy to academy). If you pass your physical you then have to go and pass a psychological.. if you pass that then starts interviews and investigations. Once and if you get hired you then get put through an academy by the department which is hiring you which is the last step of the process.. you graduate go through about a month of field training and thats it.

You haven't proved anything, but being accepted. Getting a job after is another. 

By the way, i think you're nothing but a punk.

and as i just said you have to be hired before being put through the academy.. but thank you for your kind thoughts iam so going to lose sleep tonight because some trash ball lady on a forum thinks im a punk ... your upset because you are trying to have an argument in which you are wrong but continue to argue as thats all you know how to do instead of just accepting the fact you are incorrect and moving on.

I can vouch for what Sik02gt is saying, my friend went thru this process last year and is now an officer.

FWIW I have two friends who are officers, neither has a bachelor's degree and only one has an associate's. Of course having any degree is a plus, but it's certainly not a requirement. Both have no military experience but did work as dispatchers for a few years which helped them get an in at the department they work for.

I've been searching far and wide, what academy did you get in my man? cape may? Or a county's college one? I've been at lost with looking. Thanks

"he" redstorm.. is actually a she, well supposedly.. maybe its both who knows ..but it (is what we will call it) is just arguing to argue