Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jagknife

Schneider & Salvador to IR

55 posts in this topic

Trading a young defenseman, after having lost Urbom, would be idiotic.  The Devils have Gelinas, Merrill, and Severson as potential NHLers in the next 2 years.  On their defense right now, there's 5 guys who are UFA either this year or next, and then Volchenkov, who I don't think will be here next year.  Salvador and Zidlicky could be on their final NHL contracts.  You think Fayne is definitely not here next year, and indeed, with how the coaching staff uses him when he is getting in games, that may be the case (although I don't think he has a ton of value around the NHL - someone's going to get a real good deal on him).  Now if they wanted to sign a big name UFA and then trade one of these guys for a forward, fine, but trading defense prospects is not easy, and the Devils don't have a bunch of D in their prime who are going to block these guys.  They have Larsson and that is it.

Brandon Burlon will have played three years in the AHL by start of next season. I would hope he'd be able to take on an 8th defenseman spot by then otherwise it's been pretty useless keeping him in the system.

Next year you'll probably have Reece Scarlett and Curtis Gedig starting their first pro season and very likely Seth Helgeson will have had a full year of AHL under his belt. Of these, only Scarlett sees the puck as anything but something to be chucked before it explodes, but that doesn't mean they couldn't be serviceable on a stay at home level. There is still a pipeline, but Merrill and Severson are likely the last of the sweet crude.

Next year you'll probably have Reece Scarlett and Curtis Gedig starting their first pro season and very likely Seth Helgeson will have had a full year of AHL under his belt. Of these, only Scarlett sees the puck as anything but something to be chucked before it explodes, but that doesn't mean they couldn't be serviceable on a stay at home level. There is still a pipeline, but Merrill and Severson are likely the last of the sweet crude.

Scarlett is in the AHL. He has played 6 games. 

Scarlett is in the AHL. He has played 6 games. 

My mistake. In that case by next year he'll have a year under his belt.

Most of you know I'm just against players ove rthe age of 32, in gerneral they are on th downside and I think the team would get more out of a kid learning on the job, there is always the exception, I lvoe Sal right now, he's been great, but Vol, please he is slow and takes too many penalties, as for Harold, He;s 31 and still not a regular, why was a roster spot on him, I donot not understand.

Brandon Burlon will have played three years in the AHL by start of next season. I would hope he'd be able to take on an 8th defenseman spot by then otherwise it's been pretty useless keeping him in the system.

Burlon turns 24 in March, and while I'm not vigilant about keeping up on Albany defensemen, I've never heard anyone mention his name as someone who's really impressing people down there, nor did he have a particularly impressive career at Michigan.  He seems like a body - I wouldn't be surprised if the organization held on to him just because, but there's not a lot of NHL potential there.

Gedig is interesting and Scarlett has potential, but these are guys I'd write into a future NHL lineup with very light pencil - a fair amount has to go right for these to be NHL players.

Edited by Triumph