Edmonton Making Moves

thefiestygoat

TSN

The Edmonton Oilers traded defenceman Ladislav Smid and goaltender Olivier Roy to the Calgary Flames on Friday in exchange for forward Roman Horak and goaltender Laurent Brossoit.

The Oilers also reached a verbal agreement on a one-year contract with goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov, pending completion of the trade with the Flames.

Oilers have a lot of issues but from what I've read, it seems Smid has been passed on the depth chart and it made sense to clear him out for salary cap purposes. Also they have young D like Oscar Klefbom and Darnell Nurse who could be playing in the NHL very soon. Who knows what they'll get out of Bryzgalov. Corey Pronman's twitter has some interesting insight into Horak as a prospect.

I like Roman Horak as a prospect. He's got good hockey sense/vision, can finish and has developed a decent defensive game 1/2 on Horak.

Scouts I talked to when CGY got him were optimistic about off potential, but hasn't shown a ton in that area. Has a chance to be a 3L F.

Had a chance to scout Horak last week and was used in a tough minutes + PK role in AHL.

Also rumors are that the Oilers are interested in Wayne Simmonds and that Ales Hemsky's locker has been cleared out.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Is that confirmed yet? There was a fake Gord Miller account that tweeted that in the last half hour that caused some confusion.

Just got an app notification from bleacher report team feed. Theyre usually ahead of anyone else. Id say edmonton is 1 for 2 tonight. I dont get why you trade one of your only good dmen when you need more defense. But they did get simmonds who I believe is one of the most effective power fowards in the league.

Seems to be something to the Simmonds-Hemsky rumor though. From SportsNet:

The Oilers have long coveted big right-winger Wayne Simmonds, and are well aware of the need to add size to their top-six group of forwards. Sources tell Sportsnet.ca that Flyers GM Paul Holmgren is listening to offers on any Philadelphia player not named Claude Giroux or Steve Mason.

Rumours abound that right-winger Ales Hemsky is going east, and he is a player that has been on the block for a long time in Edmonton. The Flyers will need much more than Hemsky (a pending UFA) in return, and are likely asking for right winger Jordan Eberle, who could add some scoring touch on a Flyers team averaging just 1.47 goals per game, dead last in the NHL.

In other words, it's not confirmed at all and is probably just a made-up rumor.

Not really, yeah you say that now since you know its not true, but thats just being a monday morning qb. They were the first ones to confirm the hybrid icing rule, about 2 hours before nhl.com even announced it. Bleacher report is actually pretty good, I honestly cant think of a better sports news app than them. Espn blows, the hockey news is silly, and I dont think deadspin has an app. I havent looked for a TSN app either. Regardless, the bleacher report team feed app is actually awesome. I get updates for the devils, panthers, and mets waaaay before the nhl, nfl, and mlb apps.