Elias torches Clarkson and Leafs in interview

Marshall

I'm not saying Elias is a saint and can do no wrong.  I'm more saying I think he's got some interesting opinions, some of which would probably be surprising.  What he's saying in this case isn't really all that controversial, if you think about it...neither player is a teammate of Elias' anymore.  Kovy might as well be playing on another planet, and who knows, maybe if Clarkson ever hears about these commetns, he goes out of his way to throw a check at Elias next time the Devils play the Leafs.  Not like anything's really coming out of any of this. 

Supposedly, he was all set to go to the Rangers if Sather had been willing to put a no-trade clause in his contract...Sather refused, so he stayed with the Devils and signed his 7-year, $42 million deal that turned out to be pretty good overall (but was looking pretty shaky after the first two seasons, especially during that 4 goals in 44 GP stretch.

Well that would have been tragic. 

As for his career after playing, I don't see him wanting to be a coach or GM, more of a "special assignment scout". He doesn't even want to be captain.

I just find it weird and unusual to see Elias tear into Clarkson and the Leafs like that. That doesn't happen all that often, that players comment on other franchises and their players (unless something has happened, like a dirty hit or some other incident).

Besides, Clarkson has been saying all the right things about NJ and his time there. I found it very surprising.

I just find it weird and unusual to see Elias tear into Clarkson and the Leafs like that. That doesn't happen all that often, that players comment on other franchises and their players (unless something has happened, like a dirty hit or some other incident).

Besides, Clarkson has been saying all the right things about NJ and his time there. I found it very surprising.

Eh, Elias isn't spiteful, but he's never been one to pull punches. If he was asked about the contract, he was going to speak his mind. And he didn't say anything that wasn't true. He didn't even say Clarkie was a bad player, just not one worth the money he got.

Still funny though.

I'll obviously get ripped for saying this by the same usual 3-4 guys, but when Patty says something most people agree with here he's the fvcking man and we praise him, but when he says he's not supporting Lou's way of not talking during the season then "he just like to rant" and his opinion doesnt matter then.

Also glad the leader of this team is agreeing with me.

Edited by SterioDesign

Still funny though.

I'll obviously get ripped for saying this by the same usual 3-4 guys, but when Patty says something most people agree with here he's the fvcking man and we praise him, but when he says he's not supporting Lou's way of not talking during the season then "he just like to rant" and his opinion doesnt matter then.

Yep Patty said he didn't like it and then promptly re-signed. Twice.

Still funny though.

broken-record-bernard-jaubert.jpg

Thank you Patty. Not that I needed vindication on my Kovy argument, but to hear it echoed by the leader on this team speaks volumes.

He is dead on about Clarkson too.

You do need vindication and that vindicates nothing. I like Elias a lot, but he's always had some issues with Kovy. And again, while Kovalchuk was the Devils best player (while injured) in their Cup run (the only time they made it out of the 2nd round in a decade), Elias was an absolute ghost and finished 10th in scoring. He was also non-existent in the 2009 and 2010 playoffs.

So you can talk about playing at both ends and playing a team system, but you can also talk about results too. Kovalchuk was playing so well that no one had to notice Elias was struggling. The Devils with Kovalchuk got back to the Cup Finals where all the Stevens/Niedermayer-less teams could not.

And that's the thing...hate on Kovalchuk for leaving or quitting...hate on the contract given out, but at no point should anyone be arguing the team is better playing a team system with 12 system players or what and not with a player or two with Kovalchuk's skills. You can talk about what the team can do with that money when it is on a budget and Kovy is making 11+ million, sure, but why applaud Elias for talking sh!t about Kovy. Like I said the first time, maybe this is taken out of context, and he said many positive things.

Kovalchuk did his thing and made plays. I'll just remember the 2012 playoffs and game 6 against Florida when Kovalchuk got the puck and was considered so dangerous that when he cut in to the center of the ice, two Panthers went to him and he found Zajac with a nice pass for the OT winner. Or Game 3 against the Flyers in OT where he made a hell of a play catching the Flyers changing and finding Pony with a perfect pass. Game 5 against the Rangers. The Devils were imploding in the pivotal game, and Kovy made a huge play forechecking hard on the GWG by Carter...and Game 6 ...his ridiculous finish on the 2nd goal and of course the GWG goal jamming like crazy at the loose puck before Henrique found it for the open net.

If he stayed 5 more years...10 more years, there might have been some bad, but I bet a lot of good as well...pretty much like his stay here. But the good was awesome. 

As for the Clarkson stuff...it's pretty spot on, and I think most people thought the same in the organization, but I bet a bunch were happy for him. I don't think Elias was.

Edited by devilsrule33