GDT: Devils @ Ducks 10PM

PWW

The Devils' PK is hurting.  The shots against numbers have been climbing since Volchenkov went out of the lineup - they were around 40 shots/60, now they are at 44.4, which is a pretty big jump for the 4 games that Volchenkov has been out.  The Devils as a whole are still preventing shots 5 on 5 but that's because they have a shot preventer like Fayne to jump right in when Volchenkov gets hurt.

Either way, not the greatest win last night but I'll take it.  I was most impressed with NJ's 3rd period start - they haven't come out real good in 3rd periods even in games where they are trailing, but they did last night.  

Brunner needs a jump-start playing with Elias.  You can see Brunner has good speed but he's making bad reads with and without the puck - it's like his defensive game became passable at the expense of the rest of his game.  I think/hope he'll get it soon.

i agree with that you need warriors like that, but in todays NHL i'm pretty sure you don't need 2, especially 2 old overpaid ones. Volchenkov and Salvador are pretty much the same player. But they'll still cost us goals by being caught flatfooted and not able to get back to the guy or wtv cause they are really slow. How i wish they'd get rid of one of them at least to give Fayne the chance to really establish himself so that he doesnt run away from this organization at the second he can.

i agree with that you need warriors like that, but in todays NHL i'm pretty sure you don't need 2, especially 2 old overpaid ones. Volchenkov and Salvador are pretty much the same player. But they'll still cost us goals by being caught flatfooted and not able to get back to the guy or wtv cause they are really slow. How i wish they'd get rid of one of them at least to give Fayne the chance to really establish himself so that he doesnt run away from this organization at the second he can.

They also save goals by being good positionally and blocking shots.  It's just that you rarely see those goals, whereas you do see them being flat-footed and giving up goals that way and you blame them for that.  I agree that both are not needed.

Fayne is really not much better than either Salvador or Volchenkov offensively.  It looked like he was from the first year he was here, but he isn't.  He can lead a rush up the ice a little better, but that seldom happens.

Edited by Triumph

I really think if we had Gelinas in the lineup from Game 1 we would have at least another 2 wins on the year...

Better late than never

I don't know how many times I've said I think the PP works better when the point man moves down low, but man did it work well on his goal. Gelinas has been pretty impressive so far.

They also save goals by being good positionally and blocking shots.  It's just that you rarely see those goals, whereas you do see them being flat-footed and giving up goals that way and you blame them for that.

Fayne is really not much better than either Salvador or Volchenkov offensively.  It looked like he was from the first year he was here, but he isn't.  

True, but he's definitely a bit more mobile and I think he pinches in a lot more effectively than either Sal or Volch.

They also save goals by being good positionally and blocking shots.  It's just that you rarely see those goals, whereas you do see them being flat-footed and giving up goals that way and you blame them for that.  I agree that both are not needed.

Fayne is really not much better than either Salvador or Volchenkov offensively.  It looked like he was from the first year he was here, but he isn't.  He can lead a rush up the ice a little better, but that seldom happens.

well my point is that Fayne is still young and could be part of this team for the future. I hate to see "his time" given to guys that we already can't wait to get rid of.

I'd just like them to "invest" more in him hoping to keep him rather than using the others to the bone. That poor kid must be so frustrated

well my point is that Fayne is still young and could be part of this team for the future. I hate to see "his time" given to guys that we already can't wait to get rid of.

I'd just like them to "invest" more in him hoping to keep him rather than using the others to the bone. That poor kid must be so frustrated

Fayne is as good as gone IMO. I don't like it, but between Deboer jerking him in an out of the lineup and the insertion of our prospects, he won't come back

Fayne is 27 in 2014 and the Devils have several players coming up behind him.  Gelinas has already taken his spot.  I don't think there's any way he's kept or that NJ is looking to - they have to pay him what he's worth now.  I don't think that's worth it if he's going to be used like this.

Fayne is 27 in 2014 and the Devils have several players coming up behind him.  Gelinas has already taken his spot.  I don't think there's any way he's kept or that NJ is looking to - they have to pay him what he's worth now.  I don't think that's worth it if he's going to be used like this.

yeah fair, just hope Lou could move him maybe once Salvador or A-Train if he could instead of jerking him off like that. I know he's good depth if we can make the playoffs but getting picks this year could help or package him for something.

ya The Fayne situation is tough and Im sure that Lou would love to move Sal or A-Train for something but I think the league knows this and there just are no takers. I like Fayne but ultimately it seems like we have stockpiled talent there. BTW, I changed channels with 10 minutes left and then passed out. Very happy to wake up and see we won.

yeah fair, just hope Lou could move him maybe once Salvador or A-Train if he could instead of jerking him off like that. I know he's good depth if we can make the playoffs but getting picks this year could help or package him for something.

Don't really think there's much value there.  It wouldn't surprise me if it happened, but I don't think they could expect anything more than a 4th round pick.

It's only 11 games and his zone starts haven't been particularly friendly, but his Corsi is the worst on the defense so far.

lol "jerking him off?"

But I have two random questions., but serious ones.

Why do we hate corey perry? He's just a dirtbag?

And has jagr made it known what his plans are after this year? Any chance we sign him for one more?

lol "jerking him off?"

And has jagr made it known what his plans are after this year? Any chance we sign him for one more?

Wait until later on that one...as well as he's played for so far, the old guys tend to wear down as the season goes on.  If he's still playing to this level by the end of the year, I'll be beyond surprised...and extremely impressed. 

lol "jerking him off?"

If he looks this good all year, def something the team should consider. But the price will have to be right as I imagine we'll be paying that $2M on the cap next year for his game played bonus.

If he looks this good all year, def something the team should consider. But the price will have to be right as I imagine we'll be paying that $2M on the cap next year for his game played bonus.

Devils will likely be able to fit most of the bonuses under this years cap, barring trades and injuries.

Anyone being honest knows we got some calls and lucky, not that the refs didn't try correct their mistake by giving the ducks tons of PP time. But this team still plays hard till the last second, they don't give up which is what you want out of your team. So on balance we deserved this, glad we got it also because points from the remaining 2 teams on this trip are going to be hard to come by. If we finish 1-1-1 on this trip I'd be happy as balls.

Don't really think there's much value there.  It wouldn't surprise me if it happened, but I don't think they could expect anything more than a 4th round pick.

It's only 11 games and his zone starts haven't been particularly friendly, but his Corsi is the worst on the defense so far.

its true but having picks will always be better than nothing, it's helping your chances to find a gem at some point. With our forwards depth in the minors i'd really try to get as much picks as i could, who knows which 4th pick could be a Gallagher/Loktionov or wtv. Worth the try. 

There's no way around it, it's always better to have assets to deal with than not having them. It gives you options.

edit : about the Jagr thing, i'd like to see him retire as a Devil really

Edited by SterioDesign

Perry, to me, was diving and whining all night, in addition to running/making contact with Brodeur.  I didn't (and really still don't) have anything against him, I just think he was kinda playing a sh!tty game last night.

Jagr has said he wants to finish his career over seas so most likely back their after seasons end.

if jagr maintains this pace for the rest of the season there is no way he doesn't return to the NHL next year. It's clear to me he's not only playing at a high level but he loves doing it.

He'll go oversees when he can't compete here anymore.

if jagr maintains this pace for the rest of the season there is no way he doesn't return to the NHL next year. It's clear to me he's not only playing at a high level but he loves doing it.

He'll go oversees when he can't compete here anymore.

If he doesn't fade I really hope he will come back.

its true but having picks will always be better than nothing, it's helping your chances to find a gem at some point. With our forwards depth in the minors i'd really try to get as much picks as i could, who knows which 4th pick could be a Gallagher/Loktionov or wtv. Worth the try. 

There's no way around it, it's always better to have assets to deal with than not having them. It gives you options.

edit : about the Jagr thing, i'd like to see him retire as a Devil really

It's a weak draft and the Devils have 4 RH defensemen but no one behind that in the system.  Fayne's value is not 'nothing' to the Devils right now.

It's a weak draft and the Devils have 4 RH defensemen but no one behind that in the system. Fayne's value is not 'nothing' to the Devils right now.

yeah if fayne can't fetch anything better than a third rounder it's just smarter to keep him and let him walk... If we make a playoff push and (maybe even a) run he could very well be a key to have if injury hits (this assumes sal and Volch get back)

A contender in need of a nice 3rd pairing d may be willing to bid up to a 3rd rounder for him, but even then if we're still in it is rather keep him.

yeah if fayne can't fetch anything better than a third rounder it's just smarter to keep him and let him walk... If we make a playoff push and (maybe even a) run he could very well be a key to have if injury hits (this assumes sal and Volch get back)

A contender in need of a nice 3rd pairing d may be willing to bid up to a 3rd rounder for him, but even then if we're still in it is rather keep him.

This.  Some people don't get that you can't always try to horde mid-round picks for the future at the expense of the present.  I'm sure Fayne isn't thrilled with the way he's been used, but the fact is he's a good depth player who will get chances to play (he's played in over half of the Devils' games this season), and there's d-men on the Devils that have trouble staying healthy (exactly two have played in every game this season).  If the Devils are firmly in playoff contention as the season goes on, I'd rather have Fayne on the roster...even if the Devils are going to lose him for nothing.  Only exception would be if someone was willing to give up something more than he's worth to get him (which doesn't seem likely). 

This.  Some people don't get that you can't always try to horde mid-round picks for the future at the expense of the present.  I'm sure Fayne isn't thrilled with the way he's been used, but the fact is he's a good depth player who will get chances to play (he's played in over half of the Devils' games this season), and there's d-men on the Devils that have trouble staying healthy (exactly two have played in every game this season).  If the Devils are firmly in playoff contention as the season goes on, I'd rather have Fayne on the roster...even if the Devils are going to lose him for nothing.  Only exception would be if someone was willing to give up something more than he's worth to get him (which doesn't seem likely).

i feel like fayne gets cought often and cant make it back to the zone fast enough.. atleast last night anyway i noticed more then once he was behind the puck racing back to the zone with opposition in front of him already

i feel like fayne gets cought often and cant make it back to the zone fast enough.. atleast last night anyway i noticed more then once he was behind the puck racing back to the zone with opposition in front of him already

It's because he pinches more than some of the other D. I don't think it was his best night, but I mean, c'mon, the whole team was god awful last night except for Schneider.

It's because he pinches more than some of the other D. I don't think it was his best night, but I mean, c'mon, the whole team was god awful last night except for Schneider.

I also think some guys like fayne who are sitting often then get in a game due to injury or just to rest another guy feel like they have to make a mark on the game to warrant the coach to keep them in the lineup.

They may take a few more risks to try to make something happen than if they knew they had a solid spot in the lineup.