GDT: Devils @ Kings 10:30PM

PWW

I turned the game off after the second period......cause I didnt want to go to sleep all PO'd (we looked like crap for the first and second)  but it looks like I shoulda stayed up

They are replaying the game on MSG plus right now.....cant wait to see the third and OT

Go Jags !!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol ill turn it on towards the end certainly not worth watching any of the rest of it

Wow, just finished watching the game on dvr.  it was like we were short handed for 45 mins, the shot differential doesnt even tell the whole story because they missed the net so much. the ice was so crowded every time we had the puck and so open for the kings.

but eventually the kings legs got just as heavy as ours, schnieder stayed brilliant, and was there a michael ryder sighting or what (well at least in the offensive zone there was)???

take that win and get out of the building fast!

2. Fans...I had heard LA fans were wishy washy, come late, get decked out and leave early kinda crowd...NOT TRUE FOR KINGS FANS...these people were parked in their seats 10 minutes before the puck dropped, place was packed to the gills, sold out, and this was the LOUDEST ARENA I have ever been in...the fans were very, very loud and the music and sounds were very, very loud.  These Kings fans are super serious.  No bullsh!t like the rest of LA fans.  The arena/fans were literally 10-12 times louder than any regular season Devils game I have ever been to...probably twice as loud as the last Stanley Cup run.

Interesting to hear. I barely heard the crowd on TV despite the mic'ing of the arena last night sounding so jacked up; you could barely hear what Chico was saying at times when a loud rock song was playing during a stoppage in play. You were there though, so I take your word for it!

Wow I cannot believe we got out of there with a win. I wanna say we had no business even being in that game but a win is a win.

I cannot believe the numbers, SOG and scoring chances. We could not develop anything until the 3rd. Thank god our D and goaltending is rock solid

Edited by Onddeck

This is why you pay a 9th overall pick for a goalie.  I expect Schneider to steal 1 or 2 similar games in the season.

Nothing will be similar to this game. I refuse to believe the Devils will play another game close to what last night was.  They'll get outplayed in some, but not completely thrashed. This team is too proud  

Edited by SMantzas

Wow, just finished watching the game on dvr.  it was like we were short handed for 45 mins, the shot differential doesnt even tell the whole story because they missed the net so much. the ice was so crowded every time we had the puck and so open for the kings.

but eventually the kings legs got just as heavy as ours, schnieder stayed brilliant, and was there a michael ryder sighting or what (well at least in the offensive zone there was)???

take that win and get out of the building fast!

That's how I saw it. It actually looked like the Kings were playing 6 on 5 the entire night,

Deboer should be starting Cory against the Sharks. 1 goal given up in each of his last 3 games. Stopped 80/83 shots. Start the better goalie against, arguably, the best team in the league.

Interesting to hear. I barely heard the crowd on TV despite the mic'ing of the arena last night sounding so jacked up; you could barely hear what Chico was saying at times when a loud rock song was playing during a stoppage in play. You were there though, so I take your word for it!

It was LOUD.  I turned to my girlfriend on probably 5-6 occasions and said, "wow, these people get really, really loud here".  Trust me, the place was jumping.  I was just as surprised as you are.  

Nothing will be similar to this game. I refuse to believe the Devils will play another game close to what last night was.  They'll get outplayed in some, but not completely thrashed. This team is too proud  

They won't play as poorly, but only because the other team won't be as good.  They'll have bad games, though.

The crazy thing about the Kings is that they are both stronger and faster than NJ.  Most teams are faster (obviously) but are not stronger, and NJ can at least beat them in the corners to a draw.  The Devils did that when the Kings were in back to back games but I think the two games reflect pretty well the talent disparity.

I also felt this was a game where Volchenkov and Salvador were missed some at even strength - NJ had a hell of a time winning board battles in their D zone.

Edited by Triumph

They won't play as poorly, but only because the other team won't be as good.  They'll have bad games, though.

The crazy thing about the Kings is that they are both stronger and faster than NJ.  Most teams are faster (obviously) but are not stronger, and NJ can at least beat them in the corners to a draw.  The Devils did that when the Kings were in back to back games but I think the two games reflect pretty well the talent disparity.

I also felt this was a game where Volchenkov and Salvador were missed some at even strength - NJ had a hell of a time winning board battles in their D zone.

Agree with all of this.

I think Clowe would've helped in a game like this. Even Zubrus and Jagr had trouble getting anything going down low. I thought Bernier was excellent and Carter was a fact with his speed

That's how I saw it. It actually looked like the Kings were playing 6 on 5 the entire night,

Deboer should be starting Cory against the Sharks. 1 goal given up in each of his last 3 games. Stopped 80/83 shots. Start the better goalie against, arguably, the best team in the league.

Both have been hot lately...Marty's faced 88 shots in his last three and allowed 6 goals (.932)...definitely got some luck in his last one though.  Right now it feels like you can't go wrong with either one, but based on the ridiculous effort on Schneider's part, I'd probably reward him with the San Jose start.

Numbers have been terrific for these two since both had kind of "meh" starts:

Marty's last 7 starts:  .951 save%

Cory's last 8 starts:  .936 save%

If stopping pucks was a huge problem last year (and it sure was), it most definitely isn't right now. 

This is why you pay a 9th overall pick for a goalie.  I expect Schneider to steal 1 or 2 similar games in the season.

I hated it at the time, and my first reaction was to call it the Devils Kyle Brady moment.  (Was wrapped up in the fact that Nishushkin had fallen so far).  But yeah, looks like I was dead wrong, even though having watched some of the Rags/Stars game last night, Nishuskin looks like a beast already. 

I hated it at the time, and my first reaction was to call it the Devils Kyle Brady moment.  (Was wrapped up in the fact that Nishushkin had fallen so far).  But yeah, looks like I was dead wrong, even though having watched some of the Rags/Stars game last night, Nishuskin looks like a beast already. 

How could you have hated that deal?  Devils needed a very good young goalie in the worst way.  They got one in Schneider.  (Also spoke volumes of what Lou thought of both Wedge and Kinkaid.) 

All I'd like to say is wow, terrible calls all around last night. Terrible game. We won and I'll take it though.

That and Big Z really needs to feel the banhammer. Pure troll and the worst...poster...ever.

How could you have hated that deal?  Devils needed a very good young goalie in the worst way.  They got one in Schneider.  (Also spoke volumes of what Lou thought of both Wedge and Kinkaid.) 

I wasn't too huge on it at first either because a half decent stop gap wouldn't have been impossible to find(Bryz) and we are desperately lacking in high end forward prospects.

Edited by ATLL765

I hated it at the time, and my first reaction was to call it the Devils Kyle Brady moment.  (Was wrapped up in the fact that Nishushkin had fallen so far).  But yeah, looks like I was dead wrong, even though having watched some of the Rags/Stars game last night, Nishuskin looks like a beast already

yeah he had a good game, and looks like he'd fit our system well. but we absolutely needed cory there. no regrets!

The Devils also needed (and still need) young forwards in the worst way.  Lou even admitted it before the draft.  A lot of people said that Nishushkin was the type of player that could go number 1 in a lot of drafts.  I was pumped when Buffalo passed on him. 

Just got home from the game...couple of observations:

1. Staples Center (as expected) is phenomenal...feels like a massive mall/food court with tons of food/beer/drink options and a sick ass sound and lighting system and video board. Top notch facility...no surprise because the Lakers/Kings/Clippers all call it home

2. Fans...I had heard LA fans were wishy washy, come late, get decked out and leave early kinda crowd...NOT TRUE FOR KINGS FANS...these people were parked in their seats 10 minutes before the puck dropped, place was packed to the gills, sold out, and this was the LOUDEST ARENA I have ever been in...the fans were very, very loud and the music and sounds were very, very loud. These Kings fans are super serious. No bullsh!t like the rest of LA fans. The arena/fans were literally 10-12 times louder than any regular season Devils game I have ever been to...probably twice as loud as the last Stanley Cup run.

3. Hockey-wise...we lucked out big time pulling this game out. To get outshot like that and even be in the game going into overtime was a miracle in and of itself. This team owes Schneider a massive trip to a stripclub and bottle service with many HJs and BJs coming his way. The kid was nothing short of miraculous and we didn't do a whole lot to bail him out.

-Gelinas--that kids shot is serious, especially up close

-Jagr--great hands, very slow side to side but has something left, obviously

-Schneider--cool, calm and steady

-Gio/Bernier/Carter--game puck goes to that line because they brought the heat when everyone else was struggling all night long...this win is thanks to them/Schneider/Jagr's game winner.

Also, Kopitar is a beast. This dude is the real deal. He is quick end to end and he is very dangerous with the puck on his stick.

Another also...and this is LA vs. NJ in general so it comes with the turf...their "Ice Girls" are like Victoria's Secret models and our "Ice Girls" are like the Lunch Ladies at William Paterson. No contest.

WOW. What a game. Can't wait to get back to Staples Center to see more hockey because these Kings fans are serious about their hockey.

Here's an idea; get yourself season tickets and a Dustin brown Jersey. I'm guessing this was a joke.

The Devils also needed (and still need) young forwards in the worst way. Lou even admitted it before the draft. A lot of people said that Nishushkin was the type of player that could go number 1 in a lot of drafts. I was pumped when Buffalo passed on him.

put it this way: In Schneider we drafted the best player of that draft. Maybe jones or mackinnon turn out all star careers but we know Cory is all star caliber now. Edited by dmann422

Just got home from the game...couple of observations:

1. Staples Center (as expected) is phenomenal...feels like a massive mall/food court with tons of food/beer/drink options and a sick ass sound and lighting system and video board. Top notch facility...no surprise because the Lakers/Kings/Clippers all call it home

2. Fans...I had heard LA fans were wishy washy, come late, get decked out and leave early kinda crowd...NOT TRUE FOR KINGS FANS...these people were parked in their seats 10 minutes before the puck dropped, place was packed to the gills, sold out, and this was the LOUDEST ARENA I have ever been in...the fans were very, very loud and the music and sounds were very, very loud.  These Kings fans are super serious.  No bullsh!t like the rest of LA fans.  The arena/fans were literally 10-12 times louder than any regular season Devils game I have ever been to...probably twice as loud as the last Stanley Cup run.

3. Hockey-wise...we lucked out big time pulling this game out.  To get outshot like that and even be in the game going into overtime was a miracle in and of itself.  This team owes Schneider a massive trip to a stripclub and bottle service with many HJs and BJs coming his way.  The kid was nothing short of miraculous and we didn't do a whole lot to bail him out.

-Gelinas--that kids shot is serious, especially up close

-Jagr--great hands, very slow side to side but has something left, obviously

-Schneider--cool, calm and steady

-Gio/Bernier/Carter--game puck goes to that line because they brought the heat when everyone else was struggling all night long...this win is thanks to them/Schneider/Jagr's game winner.

Also, Kopitar is a beast.  This dude is the real deal. He is quick end to end and he is very dangerous with the puck on his stick.

Another also...and this is LA vs. NJ in general so it comes with the turf...their "Ice Girls" are like Victoria's Secret models and our "Ice Girls" are like the Lunch Ladies at William Paterson.  No contest.

WOW. What a game.  Can't wait to get back to Staples Center to see more hockey because these Kings fans are serious about their hockey.

Thanks for the write up. I agree with most of what you wrote... leave out the BJs and strip club stiff next time.. it detracts away from the seriousness of your excellent observations