Oh these new owners are just dandy

RangersSuck23

Don't chant YS during the goal song.  Any chant during the goal song should be a positive chant showing actual support for the team.  I really like how they worked "Let's go Devils" into the goal song.

I just never felt it was appropriate to jeer the opposition during our goal song.  Any mocking or jeering should be done AFTER the goal song.

So based on your definition you would lump the Diablos (with their friggin vuvuzela playing), Earl's Dance Party, and Devils Dancers as traditions too? 

C'mon you are reaching there and you know it.

Rock n Roll pt 2 without the YS part is a tradition (been around when they were in Colorado).  Baumann chant is a tradition (been there since the beginning when he started it).  Those are traditions.

The YS chant was MUCH more wide spread than the vuvuzelas. It seems like anyone outside the diablos hates them, that wasn't exactly the case with the YS chant. Not a fan of the chant either, but I'd say it was borderline tradition. It may have been started 6-7 years ago, but it took a couple years to gain traction.

So based on your definition you would lump the Diablos (with their friggin vuvuzela playing), Earl's Dance Party, and Devils Dancers as traditions too? 

C'mon you are reaching there and you know it.

Don't confuse a) things that were set in motion (or subsidized in the case of the Diablos) at some Devils marketing/PR meeting with b) things that evolved organically within the arena and the fans. Completely different things.

"Fan Fest", Devils dancers, the Diablos, the high school drumline that came in during the playoffs, etc., are not Devils traditions. 

Like it or not, the YS chant, the "Rangers suck, Flyers swallow!" chant, even the whole booing Gary Bettman thing, were all started by Devils fans, with other Devils fans joining in, at Devils games in the Devils' arena. I don't know the back story, but I'd guess Earl's Dance Party started similarly, where the camera must have caught him spontaneously groovin' out and having the time of his life; things took shape after that.

It was fun, the crowd enjoyed it and everyone got into it. There was just absolutely no need to get rid of it, why?... That's all I was saying before you brought up the YS chant and what you think matters and doesn't matter in our arena.

Don't confuse a) things that were set in motion (or subsidized in the case of the Diablos) at some Devils marketing/PR meeting with b) things that evolved organically within the arena and the fans. Completely different things.

"Fan Fest", Devils dancers, the Diablos, the high school drumline that came in during the playoffs, etc., are not Devils traditions. 

Like it or not, the YS chant, the "Rangers suck, Flyers swallow!" chant, even the whole booing Gary Bettman thing, were all started by Devils fans, with other Devils fans joining in, at Devils games in the Devils' arena. I don't know the back story, but I'd guess Earl's Dance Party started similarly, where the camera must have caught him spontaneously groovin' out and having the time of his life; things took shape after that.

It was fun, the crowd enjoyed it and everyone got into it. There was just absolutely no need to get rid of it, why?... That's all I was saying before you brought up the YS chant and what you think matters and doesn't matter in our arena.

The YS chant wasn't started by Devils fans.

the you suck chant lives on too bad if someone here doesnt like it they can cry themselves to sleep I guess.. you can tell from watching at home they try to drown it out on tv but you can clearly hear it is going on.

The Diablos were originally an organic group called the Supporters Section. The idea was taken and run with by the Devils who turned it into the Diablos. So it's not something different.

In effect, you're contradicting yourself. You said in another post that "Anything that happens at every game for more than a year seems like "tradition" territory, as far as I'm concerned".  Well, the Dancers and Diablos are "tradition" according to your logic, right? 

In effect, you're contradicting yourself. You said in another post that "Anything that happens at every game for more than a year seems like "tradition" territory, as far as I'm concerned".  Well, the Dancers and Diablos are "tradition" according to your logic, right? 

Okay, I didn't mean "anything", you caught me, I'm contradicting myself.

The Diablos were originally an organic group called the Supporters Section. The idea was taken and run with by the Devils who turned it into the Diablos. So it's not something different.

It's most certainly not organic now. The tickets were set at $100 for the season, with family-friendly (and new) chants passed to them, and they're announced a few times a game. I mean, I appreciate what they do, but DevsMan84's putting words in my mouth to insinuate that I'd think they're a "tradition". Until 75% of the arena has a vuvuzela in hand for a whole season, I won't consider it a tradition.

Edited by DJ Eco

The YS chant wasn't started by Devils fans.

Neither was the "rangers suck" chant, Baumann's chant, etc. that goes on at Devils games.  All were ripped off from college sports or other pro teams.  Doesn't make them any less of a Devils "tradition," no matter how you define that term.

The crowd still does the YS chant during the new goal song.  Only difference is, it hasn't fully caught on yet (but it is growing), and the team has tried to drown it out for TV by playing the music so loud your ears bleed while in the arena.  The Let's Go Devils part of the new goal song is as dumb as the "you rock" thing they tried a few years ago.  Nobody does it or pays any attention to it.

Who was it started by?

A number of colleges had done it prior.  The Devils and Preds were the first NHL fanbases that I can remember doing it, with the Devils fanbase adding sucks at the end of the names being annouced for the starting lineups and scratches of the opposing team dating back to the 90's.  Is that a tradition of ours?  Just wondering.

I think we all realized he meant anything that started organically, as he stated in his post, previous to the sentence you're referring to. This of course means he didn't need to qualify that statement.

If you're gonna argue semantics, at least know you're right.

A number of colleges had done it prior.  The Devils and Preds were the first NHL fanbases that I can remember doing it, with the Devils fanbase adding sucks at the end of the names being annouced for the starting lineups and scratches of the opposing team dating back to the 90's.  Is that a tradition of ours?  Just wondering.

Preds fans do it too.  "Sucks" after each opposing player name during intros was their's before it was ours.  I'm pretty sure.

Preds fans do it too.  "Sucks" after each opposing player name during intros was their's before it was ours.  I'm pretty sure.

This is old too. I can remember the Avalanche fans doing that to us in the 2001 finals. The word "sucks" has been used profusely throughout all sporting events (and almost all events involving beer I've noticed) 

I don't know that we'll ever get to the bottom of this.

I liked the YS chant and I hope it stays.

I figured we weren't the first in the world to conceive the chant, I'm just saying, it's a chant that just "came about" and stuck around for the years it did. If "short tradition" had its own word, that's what it'd be considered.

And yes it's a tradition that Devils fans say "..sucks!" after the opposing team's starting lineup is called out. What would you (or DevsMan84 or anyone) like to call it?

I figured we weren't the first in the world to conceive the chant, I'm just saying, it's a chant that just "came about" and stuck around for the years it did. If "short tradition" had its own word, that's what it'd be considered.

And yes it's a tradition that Devils fans say "..sucks!" after the opposing team's starting lineup is called out. What would you (or DevsMan84 or anyone) like to call it?

I actually agree with you on all your points.  IMO, it doesn't have to be 50 years old to be a tradition.  I was being sarcastic, which doesn't always come across well on these boards.

I actually agree with you on all your points.  IMO, it doesn't have to be 50 years old to be a tradition.  I was being sarcastic, which doesn't always come across well on these boards.

tra·di·tion   [truh-dish-uhthinsp.pngthinsp.pngn]  Show IPA
noun
the handing down of statements, beliefs, legends, customs,information, etc., from generation to generation, especially byword of mouth or by practice: a story that has come down to us bypopular tradition.
something that is handed down: the traditions of the Eskimos.
a long-established or inherited way of thinking or acting: Therebellious students wanted to break with tradition.
a continuing pattern of culture beliefs or practices.
a customary or characteristic method or manner: The winner took avictory lap in the usual track tradition.

Here's the defintition of tradition from dictionary.com. Notice the words "generation to generation", "long established", "inherited", "continuing pattern"? These are words that are used to describe something that is done over a long period of time. Not 1 year, not 5 years and not 10 years. A generation certainly isn't 10 years. As a matter of fact, the Devils are arguably only in their 2nd generation of fans. So if we're going to play it by definition you're going to need something that stretches all the way back to early "Brendan Byrne" to hold some weight.

Edited by TheRedStorm

All of this is irrelevant though. Someone made a good point on Page 6 that all the new owners had to do was make the team financially stable and not meddle/micromanage in the everyday goings on of the arena and fans. What is and isn't a tradition is irrelevant. 

In the grand scheme of things, this year having the worst attendance in years, getting rid of Earl's Dance Party and the YS chant should be at the bottom of the priority list, and yet, every game that goes by, these little things are being changed and meddled with, when there's absolutely no need.

As a matter of fact, the Devils are arguably only in their 2nd generation of fans.

So is it a matter of fact or arguable?

^^See how annoying that is? That's what you're doing. This is all irrelevant nonsense. Do you think this stuff is the most important series of issues this franchise is facing or not? If not, then you agree with my general point.

Edited by DJ Eco

So is it a matter of fact or arguable?

^^See how annoying that is? That's what you're doing. This is all irrelevant nonsense. Do you think this stuff is the most important series of issues this franchise is facing or not? If not, then you agree with my general point.

I said arguably because i'm sure someone won't agree but, IMO, it's fact. This team is only in it's 2nd generation.

It's all good, though  :thumbsup:  Yeah, i'd be more worried about the on-ice product  :doh1:

Edited by TheRedStorm

Sorry Mike, but you are wrong on this one.  They weren't even a team when the Devils fans started doing it.  I specifically remember hearing it during the '95 Cup run.

I use to go to Flyers games in the late 80's early 90's and they did it then.

Earle's Dance Party is eerily similar to the husky kid that used to do that(dance about) as a fan in 200's at the Flyers arena. He is now the on ice promotions guy for the team during games.

The only tradition this team has is problems scoring goals.

Edited by hystyk28