GDT: Jets @ Devils 7PM

ThreeCups

fire everyone demolish the arena move and change my name to waldo and the only clothes i would wear would be a white jump suit with red stripes along with big doofy glasses and a matching hat. done deal.

Hmmmm?  Interesting proposition.  On what theory does this lead to more Devils goals?

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would start Schneider the majority of the games, including tonight. Cory should have started tonight. In fact, I would've played him Tonight, Wed and Sat.

I would recall Joe Whitney and give him a shot at making the team.

A game like tonight, I think we could've used the young raw energy on the offense. I'm not saying he's going to change our fortunes, but we need guys who might be able to produce points. He MIGHT be able to. Because right now, Ryder, Brunner are doing dick. Whitney could certainly do more than Cam Janssen who is in the lineup because.....?

Other than that, there's not much you can do. This is the lineup we have. There aren't really trades out there to make. I mean who's out there? Martin Erat? We don't have enough pieces to trade and I'm not parting ways with a young defenseman right now.

So stay the course, play out the year, if a trade pops up along, you do it - but our problems can't be solved with a trade without gross overpayment in assets. We need gamebreaking offensive talent. Rarely can you find that in a trade without giving up real value (something we don't have).

I don't like Family Guy.

But seriously guys. If you had control of the team, what moves would you make to make this team better? Be realistic.

I really dont think theres much to do, we knew getting in this season that it would be hard and lots of things had to go right for us to have success. Lou did what he could to fill the holes but (and ill say this very carefuly) we lost too many assets and we dont have enough to turn it around or look forward too ( our dcorp should be fabulous but we'll need goals and god knows where theyll come from in the future).

So i think we'll have to suck it up for awhile hoping for lou to find ways to get picks ands stock our farm team, and hopefully get a few good free agents in their prime

Edited by SterioDesign

I really dont think theres much to do, we knew getting in this season that it would be hard and lots of things had to go right for us to have success. Lou did what he could to fill the holes but (and ill say this very carefuly) we lost too many assets and we dont have enough to turn it around or look forward too ( our dcorp should be fabulous but we'll need goals and god knows where theyll come from in the future).

So i think we'll have to suck it up for awhile hoping for lou to find ways to get picks ands stock our farm team, and hopefully get a few good free agents in their prime

Even if the Devils had retained these players at their present cap hits and salaries, they'd be having a hard time scoring, because their depth would be gone.  (That, or they'd have no goaltending, which would amount to the same thing).

Tonight the Jets scored on their chances and the Devils didn't.  Brodeur gave up a goal he should've stopped, Pavelec didn't.  That's how things will go for the Devils, especially in these games where they don't draw power plays.  You can't expect to score 3 goals consistently if you are only drawing 2 PPs.

Even if the Devils had retained these players at their present cap hits and salaries, they'd be having a hard time scoring, because their depth would be gone.  (That, or they'd have no goaltending, which would amount to the same thing).

Tonight the Jets scored on their chances and the Devils didn't.  Brodeur gave up a goal he should've stopped, Pavelec didn't.  That's how things will go for the Devils, especially in these games where they don't draw power plays.  You can't expect to score 3 goals consistently if you are only drawing 2 PPs.

Well i dont agree cause right now were "surviving" without salvador, volchenkov and clowe, thats 12m in cap space and i really but really dont think that having those 3 guys would make us a better team, actually im pretty confident it would make us a worst team. So getting rid of salvador and volch's contract (which i could totally live with the downside of it... If theres any) and use that space for offence is absolutely possible and would give us better depth.

But having gelinas up is definitly a step in the right direction, without him and jagr im horified to think of where this team would be

Zajac, Henrique, Loktionov, Brunner, Ryder

What will it take to get these guys to start scoring? That's way too many forwards struggling.

Well, all of them were at their best when they played with either an elite sniper and/or disher. So there ya go.

Well i dont agree cause right now were "surviving" without salvador, volchenkov and clowe, thats 12m in cap space and i really but really dont think that having those 3 guys would make us a better team, actually im pretty confident it would make us a worst team. So getting rid of salvador and volch's contract (which i could totally live with the downside of it... If theres any) and use that space for offence is absolutely possible and would give us better depth.

That's a summer project. There's no elite scoring to be had nor found at this point and certainly not for a price the Devils can pay with the lack of 1st rounder and relative lack of prospects (D aside).

Edited by Marshall

I knew this was a loss because we suck against the Jets, pure and simple.

For some reason that team has our number.

Since they became the jets their record against us is 5-2-2. And since last season the jets are 4-0-1 against us.

Unfortunately, the Devils are going to lose games like this now and then.  There's nights where they're going to be a rough watch, and it feels like they're never going to put one home (9 games of 1 goal or less in 24 games).  If the expectations were higher from an offensive production standpoint, I'd be a lot more frustrated by that, but I've grown to accept that this team is simply going to have single game and multiple games of offensive futility.  And I don't know how much that part of the Devils' game will improve.  But defense, goaltending, and hopefully timely scoring keeps the Devils hanging around.  Also would be nice if some of these forwards who never put the damned puck in the net started doing so...even just a little.   

Zajac, Henrique, Loktionov, Brunner, Ryder

What will it take to get these guys to start scoring? That's way too many forwards struggling.

it would be easier to form a list of those who are scoring then those who aren't. honestly the only two forwards we can depend on are jagr and elias

He didnt do much, in fact he looked a little unsure at times...but he didnt make any glaring mistakes, so in time he should be OK

Anyone notice he fell into the boards, AGAIN?! To me he looked like a timid rookie who needs a year in Albany before he is ready for this level.. He didn't make any mistakes that cost a goal, but he was making hasty decisions.. Gelina did his time in Albany and came to the NHL with a high level of confidence.. Merrill needs more time

But having gelinas up is definitly a step in the right direction, without him and jagr im horified to think of where this team would be

Volchenkov was signed before the Devils started 'losing talent'.  Salvador I'll grant you.  In Clowe's 6 games he didn't show much but he was a pretty decent player last year and would definitely help this team put in some rebound goals or screen goalies.  Assuming Clowe is still halfway decent, the Devils definitely are missing the element he brings - I thought he was a good fit with Brunner.  Right now Bernier is playing too many minutes.

I did see Merrill fall into the boards and yeah he made a few plays that were shaky, but clearly the ability is there.  Whether he's 'ready' or not I don't know, but I think it's a bit hasty to say he belongs in Albany all year.

Edited by Triumph

Agree with Colin.  He needs to spend the season in Albany.  However, in an emergency situation, its either him or Burlon getting called up since Larsson went down with an injury.  Can't be too pissed it was him that got the nod.  I thought he looked ok and played well positionally.  No glaring mistakes, other than tripping himself into the board and letting the pass from the corner go under his stick at the point.

Excellent team game but not enough "class" to make the difference 1 v 1.  Teams that win "team efforts" usually have one or two players that can break open the game at some point during the contest.

The Devils have a lot of foot soldiers but not enough snipers.

In all the years i have been going to games, last night was by ar the most unispiring effort I have seen, what a friggin bore fest!!

No life on the ice , no life inthe building.!!!

The team came back from a West Coast trip and had one day off.  I was surprised they looked as good as they did.

In all the years i have been going to games, last night was by ar the most unispiring effort I have seen, what a friggin bore fest!!

No life on the ice , no life inthe building.!!!

I had no problem with the effort.  We've seen a lot worse on many occasions.

Merrill looked pretty good.  He definitely did not look out of place. 

I really hope Clowe is not completely dead weight whenever he comes back.  This team needs every goal it can scrounge together.

I did see Merrill fall into the boards and yeah he made a few plays that were shaky, but clearly the ability is there. Whether he's 'ready' or not I don't know, but I think it's a bit hasty to say he belongs in Albany all year.

He hasn't even had a full year of playing professional hockey under his belt. And it's not like he played a great deal in college. Defense is not a position most young players can be thrown into and expected to succeed. And with our glut of defensemen, theres no need for the kid to be up here looking shaky and falling into boards, wrecking his confidence and body. I would hope Merrill is down in Albany most of the season.