Josh Harris To Buy English Soccer Club

TheMazz

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2515257/Charlton-set-bought-American-sports-owner-Josh-Harris--CHARLES-SALE.html

Investment banker Josh Harris is set to become the latest American sports franchise owner to buy into English football. The 48-year-old billionaire, who owns basketball’s Philadelphia 76ers and ice hockey team New Jersey Devils, is said to be in detailed talks to purchase Charlton. The Championship club have been linked with a number of potential takeover moves recently, including consortiums from Turkey and Russia. But the bid by Harris is understood to have progressed to an advanced stage since his associates came over for Charlton’s home game against Leeds earlier this month.

Charlton are co-owned by Tony Jiminez and Michael Slater but it is claimed Mayfair property developer Kevin Cash bankrolls the London club and is keen to recoup his funding. Also, Jiminez has had to repay £500,000 to his former Newcastle colleague Dennis Wise after a High Court ruling regarding a property investment. Manager Chris Powell and a number of players are in the last year of contracts that haven’t been renewed because of the likelihood of a Charlton sale. Harris, who spent around £500million buying his NBA and NHL franchises, could easily afford the mooted £43m price for Charlton that would include the freehold of The Valley. And there are ambitious plans being proposed for Charlton, who could, with the aid of wealthy owners, build a new stadium on land near the O2 Arena.

I'm pretty interested in this if this report is accurate. The Daily Mail has some good journalist and I don't see why they would print this if it wasn't based on solid info. They do tend to print a lot of bs transfer rumors though which is why I'm always a bit hesitant when it comes to the Daily Mail. This seems legit though.

I love to follow the Championship in England and if this guy is as loaded with money as we all think he is, then it will be interesting to see if he can get Charlton back into the Premier League one day.

I just hope he's not one of those "bigger is better" people...showing people how much he can buy

Are the Sixers a better team since he bought them...I don't know. I dont follow basketball

I just hope the Devils remain a strong organization with the goal of winning games and championships etc...not just another business where he only worries about profits

The good news for Harris is that there's only two things he needs to do for the devils: write the checks and not fire Lou. That formula will equal success, hopefully he realizes that.

Edit: I'll also add that even if he is solely focused in profits, it's good news for us devils fans because as we've seen (somewhat unfortunately) when the team isn't competitive the fans won't show up... Basically he needs to win to maximize profits.

Edited by dmann422

Is Harris turning into Tom Hicks 2.0?

Hicks was owner of the Dallas Stars when they won and lost the cup in the late 90's....and also when the team filed for bankruptcy a few years ago

he also was the one who signed A-Rod to that mega contract with the Texas Rangers

the guy has an appetite (like JVB)...I hope our new owners don't bite off more than they can chew

I just hope he's not one of those "bigger is better" people...showing people how much he can buy

Are the Sixers a better team since he bought them...I don't know. I dont follow basketball

I just hope the Devils remain a strong organization with the goal of winning games and championships etc...not just another business where he only worries about profits

Hard to say...the Sixers are 10th or 11th I believe in the East at the moment, but are more or less in full tank mode, from what my Philly friends have told me.  So really won't be able to tell what Harris' ownership of the Sixers does for the franchise for 2-4 years, realistically.

Hard to say...the Sixers are 10th or 11th I believe in the East at the moment, but are more or less in full tank mode, from what my Philly friends have told me.  So really won't be able to tell what Harris' ownership of the Sixers does for the franchise for 2-4 years, realistically.

tanking's a better move than going for 41-41 so the fact that he's allowing rigging for Wiggins/Parker shows he'll at least let the basketball people do what they think is best IMO

interesting. My boss is a Charlton season ticket holder and the rumour here is that a property development company are leading the way with a bid.

Didn't realise this was in the mail. That paper has become a lot more hit and miss lately. The rumour my boss has heard was in the south London press. They are the local paper.

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

Because being owned by a "fan" worked out so well? I loved VBK, but the team damn near went bankrupt. I don't think having an owner who is concerned about money would be the end of the world.

did you notice I underlined and bolded only

As has been mentioned in this thread, the only way to make a profit with the Devils in this market is to win, so having an owner concerned about profit wouldn't be the end of the world.

Lol. Are you talking about on-court success or market relevance/attendance? It really doesn't matter, no is the simple and only answer. I live in the heart of Philly, and in a city where every kid grows up playing basketball, and a city that is truly a basketball town at its core, no one could care less about how awful they are.

Lol. Are you talking about on-court success or market relevance/attendance? It really doesn't matter, no is the simple and only answer. I live in the heart of Philly, and in a city where every kid grows up playing basketball, and a city that is truly a basketball town at its core, no one could care less about how awful they are.

Well, that arguably has something to do with Philly bball fans understanding of the game. That team was going to be mediocre for a long time, or they were going to suck to get draft picks. They chose the latter. Fans not caring makes sense -- they're unwatchable -- but that doesn't mean they're long term indifferent. I don't want to come off on this thread as a Harris apologist. I just think we don't know about him yet, and too many fans are making snap judgments based on minimal evidence. The Sixers especially are in such a weird place it's impossible to judge ownership based on them.