GDT: Blackhawks @ DEVILS 7PM

ThreeCups

Tough loss here. Almost lost by 1.....

On the bright side:

Fourth line looked like their old selves

Fayne with a couple monster defensive plays

People are gonna abuse Gelly (he did have a couple mistakes) but he did make SEVERAL hard hits and I noticed some strong D play

I honestly thought we fought real hard tonight. A couple of tough breaks on some fluky goals but we made this a game-a HUGE upgrade from last week

Agree with everything here. hate to not get a point but 3:00 into this gane I was scared we werent in the same league again, and then things started to click. just somewhat happy that we put up a great game and went toe to toe.

gionta had a great game and you twisted it to make it some sort of negative that he did. That's the issue I had, along with the fact that you seemed to give up after the 4th hawks goal. Forgive me if I'm wrong but that's how your post came across, so I apologize if I was mistaken.

Tough loss, glad they didn't quit. Their record on the first of back to backs vs the 2nd is so strange it's hard to figure. Glad we have a game tomorrow to put the loss behind us

Yes, he had a great game and it was a positive that he contributed. However, when he is your best player you're not winning many games because he isn't your best player. He's a 4th liner. He's a supporting player and quite frankly, a guy who has one or two of these types of games out of every 15-20 and it brainwashes Pete into thinking he's capable of this play on a consistent level. 

Yea it just goes to show you have to play a true 60 minute game against Chicago.  Even just a tiny let up, they strike.  I'm not too disappointed with the effort tonight.  We just lost to a better team.  We need the same effort against Buffalo tomorrow night.  They've been giving a lot teams problems recently.

Ya thats so true. It was like the devils got to overconfident going into the 3rd that they forgot to keep the pedal to the metal. I just hope the devils come out on fire tomorrow and dont let another 2 pts walk away. Buffalo is a up and down team but can give you fits if you dont pounce on them earlier.

I liked the effort tonight. Greene-Fayne and Salvador-Merrill with tough matchups and no OZ starts. I can't really complain about them. Rough night for Gelinas though. Not going to get upset over a loss to a team like the Blackhawks. Wish they could've gotten a point though. Thought Sislo had a nice debut.

Well i never said they didnt suck forever but what he said was still technically wrong lol

from 1996 to 2008 the hawks made the playoffs once (outed in the first round winning one game), and never finished higher than 3rd in their division in any other of the seasons. Their two best players are 3rd and 1st overall picks in back to back years. If that's not tanking I don't know what is.

I'm not saying they intentionally lost games, but I for one would not accept a decade of failure like they did. I give them credit for rebooking and winning it all again last year, but again this was all after ten years of failing.

Yes, he had a great game and it was a positive that he contributed. However, when he is your best player you're not winning many games because he isn't your best player. He's a 4th liner. He's a supporting player and quite frankly, a guy who has one or two of these types of games out of every 15-20 and it brainwashes Pete into thinking he's capable of this play on a consistent level.

how often is gionta the best player though? There's a reason everyone on here is praising him tonight, and it's because he played much better than usual. To me if gionta is the best 4th liner on the ice that's all I need, and on many nights I think he is just that.

Our top lines didn't make much happen tonight, and I get that's the point you're trying to make. So rather than even mentioning gionta, just say the jägr and herinque lines were bad.

from 1996 to 2008 the hawks made the playoffs once (outed in the first round winning one game), and never finished higher than 3rd in their division in any other of the seasons. Their two best players are 3rd and 1st overall picks in back to back years. If that's not tanking I don't know what is.

I'm not saying they intentionally lost games, but I for one would not accept a decade of failure like they did. I give them credit for rebooking and winning it all again last year, but again this was all after ten years of failing.

They've also put a pretty impressive supporting cast around them, too. Sharp was robbery in hindsight, Hossa was a FA and the rest like Shaw and Kruger were a nice job of drafting well in later rounds and a nice find in Saad as a second round. They also have nice supporting depth in Oduya, Bollig, and Handzus....i mean it's a really good put together team that's going to have a chance to repeat. It wasn't all built on "tanking", just a good job by the front office and scouting dept. They reaped the rewards with Toews and Kane, but they also did a great job building a winner, having to break it up and rebuilding it into a winner again  that's got a good chance to be playing in June.

Edited by TheRedStorm

Top two lines were no good tonight, but that's to be expected - they're playing Chicago, for god's sake.  Bottom two lines were phenomenal, with the 4th line being terrific and earning shifts all the way up to the end.  Reid Boucher, if he continues to play like this, has to play more.  He was NJ's best forward tonight.  I liked what Sislo brought as well.

DeBoer gave up because they have a game tomorrow night on the road.  You're way less than 1% to come back in that spot and he folded up the tent because he had already played his best guys enough tonight.

Brodeur wasn't good enough either, but again - that's to generally be expected.  Now that Schneider is getting the easy matchup, it's time for him to come up with a 2 or fewer goals against game and begin to take the crease away from Brodeur.  The Sabres will really struggle with the Jagr line - indeed, even though Buffalo was resting tonight, I expect NJ to really put the screws to them.

I liked the effort tonight. Greene-Fayne and Salvador-Merrill with tough matchups and no OZ starts. I can't really complain about them. Rough night for Gelinas though. Not going to get upset over a loss to a team like the Blackhawks. Wish they could've gotten a point though. Thought Sislo had a nice debut.

Agreed on most. Gelinas had a tough night but it wasn't that bad. The first goal was not off his turnover. He went up the middle of the ice with a pass and Henrique got stripped. Not going to kill him on the Saad goal either. But, he is playing himself out of the lineup, and it looks like he lost his confidence.

The Hawks are just scary dangerous. The Devils get a breakaway and it's a pretty crummy shot by Gionta. The results are going to be different when you give Sharp one.

Gionta was really good. His best game as a Devil. Loktionov had as good a game I can remember. It's amazing how much better he looks without Janssen. And it's nice to see a line entirely made up of offensive players and seeing them generate really good chances.

Once again we all see how goood Zidlicky's slapper is. Please use it more often.

They've also put a pretty impressive supporting cast around them, too. Sharp was robbery in hindsight, Hossa was a FA and the rest like Shaw and Kruger were a nice job of drafting well in later rounds and a nice find in Saad as a second round. They also have nice supporting depth in Oduya, Bollig, and Handzus....i mean it's a really good put together team that's going to have a chance to repeat. It wasn't all built on "tanking", just a good job by the front office and scouting dept. They reaped the rewards with Toews and Kane, but they also did a great job building a winner, having to break it up and rebuilding it into a winner again  that's got a good chance to be playing in June.

this is all true and I don't disagree one bit, however stereo's original complaint was how the hawks have so much talent and we don't. If you take off toews and Kane from that team suddenly their talent isn't so impressive. How are the devils ever expected to get a toews or a Kane when we never have back to back top 3 picks because we don't accept ten years of losing?

this is all true and I don't disagree one bit, however stereo's original complaint was how the hawks have so much talent and we don't. If you take off toews and Kane from that team suddenly their talent isn't so impressive. How are the devils ever expected to get a toews or a Kane when we never have back to back top 3 picks because we don't accept ten years of losing?

The Devils didn't have Toews and Kane from losing, but they had Parise and Kovalchuk. You can see the Devils talent level since they left regardless of contracts, money and how you view them. I'd rather have Toews and Kane then Parise and Kovalchuk anyday but i guess all things being relative, perhaps the Hawks would be what the Devils are now with having to find stop gaps, make over payments on FA's and sign mid level players. Top talent is tough to replace as it is and true franchise players very rarely get to free agency and when they do (or some overrated version of one), they get Parise-like contracts. It's all about building from within and unfortunately that comes from losing.

Edited by TheRedStorm
  • Like 1

this is all true and I don't disagree one bit, however stereo's original complaint was how the hawks have so much talent and we don't. If you take off toews and Kane from that team suddenly their talent isn't so impressive. 

lol they still have Sharp, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook and a host of other good role players.

• Like 1

lol they still have Sharp, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook and a host of other good role players.

In other words, they're pretty much the Devils. Give maybe a slight edge in skill. Taking those two away from that lineup alters them dramatically because they are both legit franchise players.

Sharp and Hossa don't exactly play with Handzus now do they? 

Edited by TheRedStorm

The Devils didn't have Toews and Kane from losing, but they had Parise and Kovalchuk. You can see the Devils talent level since they left regardless of contracts, money and how you view them. I'd rather have Toews and Kane then Parise and Kovalchuk anyday but i guess all things being relative, perhaps the Hawks would be what the Devils are now with having to find stop gaps, make over payments on FA's and sign mid level players. Top talent is tough to replace as it is and true franchise players very rarely get to free agency and when they do (or some overrated version of one), they get Parise-like contracts. It's all about building from within and unfortunately that comes from losing.

I think we're basically agreeing... The only way we get a toews or a Kane is to stink and select the right player in the right draft. For instance, if Chicago had the third pick in the 2005 draft instead of the 2006 draft they probably wind up with jack Johnson instead of toews. (They did have the 7th overall that year and picked skille, who has amounted to nothing so far) basically, look at Edmonton now. They're a laughing stock and the butt of jokes but eventually the blind chicken finds the egg and in then years someone will say "boy I wish we had the oilers talent"- we'll yeah, you can have it, but you have to suck and eventually get lucky to get it.

And on a side note parise is not on the same level as toes and Kane who are both probably top ten nhl forwards.

I never said they we're crap without those two but do you think they are championship contenders if you take them off the team?

Who are we to say no? They have scoring from Every angel outside of those two and their defense is good enough. They have five or six stars in that team.

I think we're basically agreeing... The only way we get a toews or a Kane is to stink and select the right player in the right draft. For instance, if Chicago had the third pick in the 2005 draft instead of the 2006 draft they probably wind up with jack Johnson instead of toews. (They did have the 7th overall that year and picked skille, who has amounted to nothing so far) basically, look at Edmonton now. They're a laughing stock and the butt of jokes but eventually the blind chicken finds the egg and in then years someone will say "boy I wish we had the oilers talent"- we'll yeah, you can have it, but you have to suck and eventually get lucky to get it.

And on a side note parise is not on the same level as toes and Kane who are both probably top ten nhl forwards. I never said they we're crap without those two but do you think they are championship contenders if you take them off the team?

Edited by CarterforPresident

In other words, they're pretty much the Devils. Give maybe a slight edge in skill. Taking those two away from that lineup alters them dramatically because they are both legit franchise players.

Sharp and Hossa don't exactly play with Handzus now do they? 

Except they're still a playoff team - well maybe in the West it's a little iffy but certainly in the East.  Not a championship caliber one but still one with a lot of talent, certainly more than our team.  Besides you could do that exercise for ANYONE without their two best players.  Christ without Jagr alone we'd probably be a top five lottery team this year...if we had a pick anyway.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Anything I need to see here, or does the boxscore tell the story, that the Toews line obliterated the Henrique line, 4-0 on the score sheet, and 11-2 as shots go for the forwards?

clowe and ryder are dead weight in the DZ, poor henri was working OT, lol.  get patty back and we have better options against elite offensive talent

again at least we were competitive for good long stretchs

Top two lines were no good tonight, but that's to be expected - they're playing Chicago, for god's sake.  Bottom two lines were phenomenal, with the 4th line being terrific and earning shifts all the way up to the end.  Reid Boucher, if he continues to play like this, has to play more.  He was NJ's best forward tonight.  I liked what Sislo brought as well.

DeBoer gave up because they have a game tomorrow night on the road.  You're way less than 1% to come back in that spot and he folded up the tent because he had already played his best guys enough tonight.

Brodeur wasn't good enough either, but again - that's to generally be expected.  Now that Schneider is getting the easy matchup, it's time for him to come up with a 2 or fewer goals against game and begin to take the crease away from Brodeur.  The Sabres will really struggle with the Jagr line - indeed, even though Buffalo was resting tonight, I expect NJ to really put the screws to them.

Boucher was not the best forward, not even close.  I don't know what game you watched.  He was better than he's looked in previous games, but that's not saying much.  He looked brutal in a few of the other games with falling all over the ice, losing his position, not recognizing his shooting space.  He rushed quite a few shots last night and blew a couple beautiful opportunities that were gift-wrapped for him.  

Plain and simple, he looks raw and nervous.  He needs more time and more experience.  But moreso, he's clearly a guy who if he doesn't score, won't be able to stick regularly in the lineup.