Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Neb00rs

Rafalski returns.....

44 posts in this topic

Huh, wonder why he's doing it.

I hope it's just for a love of the game, and not something more tragic.

Best of luck to him.

Huh, wonder why he's doing it.

I hope it's just for a love of the game, and not something more tragic.

Best of luck to him.

If he needed money, he probably could've gotten an NHL try-out with someone. I doubt its something like that.

He might just miss playing competitive hockey and wants something to do.

I thought it was as a coach or something.  I had no idea it was to play again.

I guess I'm going to another Solar Bears game now...lol

Edited by Bibby89

I bet if he tears it up down there, he'll get a phone call at a chance to return to the NHL if he wants to.

Reminder that Rafalski retired with a year left on a $30 million dollar deal. He walked away from $6 million, I believe.

The real question is...is the Devils logjam on defense logjammed enough that Lou won't bite on him? You know Lou has an itch.

I love me some Rafalski. Always underrated and under appreciated here until it was too late. It was great to root for him again back in the 2010 Olympics. 

I love me some Rafalski. Always underrated and under appreciated here until it was too late. It was great to root for him again back in the 2010 Olympics. 

Devils fans respect Rafalski very much.  He left for Detroit and I don't know of any Devils fan angry at him like we were when Parise left.

Devils fans respect Rafalski very much.  He left for Detroit and I don't know of any Devils fan angry at him like we were when Parise left.

Under appreciated does not mean disrespected. I think many took his skills for granted and his offensive game was something we missed until we traded for Zidlicky. Not to mention, he was much more sound defensively as well.

Under appreciated does not mean disrespected. I think many took his skills for granted and his offensive game was something we missed until we traded for Zidlicky. Not to mention, he was much more sound defensively as well.

Well I think it's because he always had Niedermayer and Stevens getting most of the attention.

Rafalski is one of my favorite players ever so I'm happy to hear that he's back in the game. According to Sportsnet he was skating with the Everblades to prepare for the Winter Classic alumni game. Looks like a pure love of the game move.

Curious move by Rafi.   He is the most underrated D man in the history of the game.   Easily the 4th best D-men ever to play in NJ.  

Had the good fortune to play with the three best defensemen of his era.   Shame that Lou never really appreciated what he brought to the team until he was gone.

Curious move by Rafi.   He is the most underrated D man in the history of the game.   Easily the 4th best D-men ever to play in NJ.  

Had the good fortune to play with the three best defensemen of his era.   Shame that Lou never really appreciated what he brought to the team until he was gone.

Stevens, Nieds and who is the third you have ranked above him?

Rafalski was my favorite Devil for a while.  Always liked him a lot.

I do remember a lot of Devil fans complaining about him just before he left...that he shot too many pucks into opposing players' skates, that he didn't have a hard enough shot, etc. 

He was incredibly loyal throughout the Niedermayer signing process...waited patiently for that to sort itself out, then signed a two-year deal to stick around.  One can argue that Lou should've rewarded him with another deal for that loyalty alone, but in the end it probably worked out best for Rafalski, in that he got to play for a terrific Red Wings team, and he probably had more fun there than he ever did here.  I've always felt that there are a number of players who embrace what playing hockey for the Devils and Lou means, and what it entails, but I don't necessarily think it's a "fun" experience.  Not as much as some other teams, anyway.  

It's not a big deal, and I know he was probably swept up in the moment, but I'll always wish that he hadn't taken a swipe (or appeared to take one) at the Devils with the parking lot comment.  But guys sometimes blurt things out when they're feeling emotional. 

Well I think it's because he always had Niedermayer and Stevens getting most of the attention.

And after they left people killed Rafalski because he wasn't a true #1 defenseman, though that was probably true he was definitely much better than the guys masquerading as #1's the next few years for us after he left.  Even Lou underappreciated him to a degree.