Did I just hear Chico correctly?

Devils Pride 26

Beginning of the second period of the broadcast tonight against the Panthers, Chico had just mentioned something along the lines of "all signs point to Marty returning next year - Marty would like to too"

Now, Chico can appear to be doofy at times and might just be talking out of his behind, but he does have access to the players and would be able to get a good idea of vibes coming from the teams and players.

That said, yikes. I don't know how much more of seeing Marty play as a shell of himself. 

Beginning of the second period of the broadcast tonight against the Panthers, Chico had just mentioned something along the lines of "all signs point to Marty returning next year - Marty would like to too"

Now, Chico can appear to be doofy at times and might just be talking out of his behind, but he does have access to the players and would be able to get a good idea of vibes coming from the teams and players.

That said, yikes. I don't know how much more of seeing Marty play as a shell of himself. 

If that is the case then I wish him well in signing a 1-year 2 million deal with Montreal (or wherever not in NJ).

Eh I don't take what Chico says too seriously. How many times a game does he claim he and player X were just talking earlier that day about something that happens in a game?

Like "oh henrique was just telling me today that sometimes the puck bounces weird" or something.

I don't think he is making it up.

Chico loves the sport and is a fan; and has unparalleled access to the players.   I imagine he is chatting with them all of the time.

If I had to put money on it I would bet Marty comes back, the hope at that point can only be that Lou makes it clear he will be the backup and get about 30 starts max.

As much as I respect all he has done Marty doesn't seem like the type of guy who will walk away from the sport easily.

Eh I don't take what Chico says too seriously. How many times a game does he claim he and player X were just talking earlier that day about something that happens in a game?

Like "oh henrique was just telling me today that sometimes the puck bounces weird" or something.

Except that Chico did pretty much call Parise leaving before anyone else thought he would.  Mostly because of his friendship with JP imo.

If I had to put money on it I would bet Marty comes back, the hope at that point can only be that Lou makes it clear he will be the backup and get about 30 starts max.

As much as I respect all he has done Marty doesn't seem like the type of guy who will walk away from the sport easily.

I want Marty back for 1 more as a backup

Hopefully it can happen and Lou/the coach states right away he will play 25-30 games max

Time will tell.

700 and another playoff run would be sweet

700 wins.

Yup.  So close.

Yep. Marty just needs to retire. Its over after this year. I really don't want him to be the last one to know.

He is going for 700

Hopefully he can accept a backup role and get it in a Devils sweater

Seeing him wear another jersey would break my heart

Who's ready for another goalie controversy next year?!

IF Marty comes back, I think it will be clear that Cory will be the starter

Except that Chico did pretty much call Parise leaving before anyone else thought he would.  Mostly because of his friendship with JP imo.

He knew Zach was going "home" to play with his butt buddy Suter

Oh yea, and $98M doesn't hurt either

That's $98,000,000.00

Ninety Eight Million Dollars

I'm not as convinced.  lol

Hopefully Cory can put a string together here and really cement his role as the starter going forward

Marty sorta accepted it earlier this year, but then Schneids got hurt and Marty caught fire

I really hope this is Marty's final year.  If it's not his final year in the NHL, then it needs to be his final year as a Devil.  As long as Marty's a Devil, he'll never truly think of himself as a backup.  As long as DeBoer and Lou are around, they'll continue to treat him too closely to the Marty of old...too much so for comfort.   

Marty ranked 38th in save% last season, and ranks 36th in save% this season.  Yes, he has had some occasional terrific games, even a couple of 4 and 5 game good stretches, but I maintain that the 50-game stretch to close out 2012 was the best of what Marty had left.  I also think he had his time here...an incredible, sensational, wonderful time here, but the guy is going to be 42 friggin' years old to start next season.  If Marty still mistakenly believes that he has anything left next season (maybe he can continue to be the inconsistent shell of himself he's been this season and last, but I don't need to see that version of Marty again for a third straight year), then Lou needs to move on. 

I don't think the Lou or the organization should be seen as cold, disrespectful, or unappreciative if they tell Marty no to 2014-15.  Former greats can't always go out on THEIR terms.     

I caught the radio broadcast and Matt and Sherry said the same thing. Apparently Broduer told a french paper/magazine something along the lines of "right now the mind wants too, we'll see if the body is capable".

Body, I hope you say NO. We do not need another goalie issue next season it is time to move forward.

Edited by LucifersDog

Does everyone think there is NO CHANCE he comes back in a backup role?

Even if he was 100% on board with that (and I don't think he ever will be...that's not a knock on him, I just don't think he's wired to think of himself as anything less than a #1), there's no reason to think he'll be particularly good at it, or any better at stopping pucks than he is right now (which, as we know, is not very good).   

I'm not as convinced. lol

Yeah neither am I. It would break my heart to see Marty wear another sweater too, but I don't want him coming back next year if he has any notion whatsoever that he's 'competing' for a starting role with Schneider. Its backup or nothing. And I don't think Marty will accept that.

Yeah neither am I. It would break my heart to see Marty wear another sweater too, but I don't want him coming back next year if he has any notion whatsoever that he's 'competing' for a starting role with Schneider. Its backup or nothing. And I don't think Marty will accept that.

So one on board for a known backup role...

Joe Montana played for the Chiefs.

Michael Jordan played for the Wizards.

Tom Glavine didn't spend his whole career with the Braves.

Not like it's unheard of for all-time greats to finish up their careers with another team.

Would I love to see Marty play for another team?  Not really.  But he's already won FAR more games with one team than anyone else ever to play in the NHL.  At least we didn't have to see him demand to be dealt and then see him succeed with another franchise (like Canadiens fans had to endure when Patrick Roy was traded)...geez, even Wayne Gretzky played for four NHL teams.  We got ALL of Marty's very best...every last bit of it.  I'm not going to be heartbroken if Marty insists on playing one more year as a lesser version of himself for someone else, to the tune of yet another "meh" decline year (and there's no reason to think he would turn in anything more than that).    

I'd be absolutely against Brodeur coming back based on the first 40 or so games. But if Schneider takes the ball and plays 26 of the last 35 games or so, and Brodeur wants to come back next year knowing exactly what his role is, I wouldn't be totally against it. But again, that is only if Cory proves to the entire organization that he is by far the better goalie...leaving no doubt to everyone  what his and Brodeur's role is.

I doubt Brodeur would want to go anywhere else to be a backup. If he wants to go the Ed Belfour root and find some sh!tty team in your last year where you can play 50+ games, go for it. I wouldn't be remotely upset. Only sad, if he is just awful. I think he would get completely exposed on a team that plays pretty loosy goosy and up and down the ice a lot.