GDT: 1/21/14 Blues @ Devils

Mike Brown

Clowe is really shooting the puck lately...20 shots in his last 8 GP (he only had 9 through his first 11 GP). 

And he's been more productive in his last 8 GP (3 G, 7 A) than Clarkson has been for the Leafs for the whole season (36 GP, 3 G, 5 A).  Probably not a great apples-to-apples comparison, but still kinda funny. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Thank God it wasn't the vuvuzela guy!  I knew there was a reason watching the Devils game on TV was more enjoyable (beyond seeing 7 Devils goals).

Clowe is really shooting the puck lately...20 shots in his last 8 GP (he only had 9 through his first 11 GP). 

And he's been more productive in his last 8 GP (3 G, 7 A) then Clarkson has been for the Leafs for the whole season (36 GP, 3 G, 5 A).  Probably not a great apples-to-apples comparison, but still kinda funny. 

Don't want to pick on Clarkson too much, but I'm going to anyway. Clowe is such an upgrade over DC. His playmaking skills are real solid, he has some of the best vision on the team, he actually takes the body (unlike Clarkson after that 30 goal season). Not gonna pretend his contract is any good, but I think Lou made the right choice in signing Clowe over Clarkson.

Some thoughts on the game:

Boucher and Jagr are going to be pretty good together. It's only a matter of time before they learn each other's tendencies and I think that bodes well for Reid. 

Hope Henrique is alright. I don' think his hand is serious because he scored a pretty sick goal where he deked several times. 

When you're hot.....you're hot. Everything (offensively) is going Gelinas' way. That's not to say he is not helping himself. The pass on the Henrique goal was pretty slick and his assist on the Carter goal was a result of his heavy shot. The goal was obviously fluky but I think he's back on track.

Volchenkov has been outplaying Salvador pretty handily the last dozen games. Captain Sal has been a trainwreck in the defensive zone, while Volch has been solid. I hope they somehow keep him over Bryce, but I wouldn't count on that.

Brunner back in the lineup makes us that much deeper. His speed is absolutely vital on our team. 

Wow. 

So glad I went too, and I was one of those that said "steal a point". The crowd atmosphere was good and happy to see the organization letting everyone come down to the lower bowl. Was kinda funny seeing the people that work the seating area keep kicking fans out of the black seats though that were trying to sneak in there. 

haha The Lower Bowl was loud and roudy for once!! It's amazing how the experience down there gets better once they allow all the crazies from the Uppers to come down, it's usually so quiet down there.

Volchenkov has been outplaying Salvador pretty handily the last dozen games. Captain Sal has been a trainwreck in the defensive zone, while Volch has been solid. I hope they somehow keep him over Bryce, but I wouldn't count on that.

I agree, I'm eating crow on Volchenkov, as he's been doing a great job for us for about a month, maybe more. Salvador sticks out like a sore thumb on this team now, every single game; worst player on the ice, game-in, game-out.

Thank God it wasn't the vuvuzela guy!  I knew there was a reason watching the Devils game on TV was more enjoyable (beyond seeing 7 Devils goals).

I believe they did not allow him to blow it on the lower level. I did hear him while going down the escalator towards the box office after the game.

I really dislike the vuvuzela as an instrument, completely. Keep it in soccer damnit!

Glad we "stole" those points last night.

Seriously though. Unreal. Finally got those bounces and gellys goal just illustrates that haha

It just goes to show that any team that doesn't show up, will get slaughtered no matter who the opponent is.  The fact that even us haven't been seriously drubbed like that shows SOMETHING about this team.  Also, goaltending can really set the tone with some teams.  That goal Elliot gave up to Fayne was just awful even if it was deflected.

I believe they did not allow him to blow it on the lower level. I did hear him while going down the escalator towards the box office after the game.

I really dislike the vuvuzela as an instrument, completely. Keep it in soccer damnit!

No, don't even keep it in soccer!

I'm a soccer nut, and couldn't stand watching the South Africa World Cup.

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 1

10th in PP (19.6%) and 2nd in PK (86.5%).  In a big surprise (sarcasm), the Devils rank near the bottom of league in PP opportunities for.

There's reasons to think they could make a little noise if they make the playoffs (good special teams, terrific goaltending if Schneider's in a groove), etc...could win a round or two, depending on the opponent.  The question of course is can they get in?

I am now hearing that the Devils are going back on their word about if you went last night, you get 2 tickets to an upcoming game per ticket while people who had tickets who didn't go got 1 ticket to an upcoming game.

If you didn't go last night but you had a ticket, they are still honoring a ticket to one of the 4 games they posted.  However, they are now offering the same deal if you went last night and going back on their original offer of 2 tickets per ticket for last night's game.

Can anyone verify?

If true, then color me not surprised.

10th in PP (19.6%) and 2nd in PK (86.5%).  In a big surprise (sarcasm), the Devils rank near the bottom of league in PP opportunities for.

There's reasons to think they could make a little noise if they make the playoffs (good special teams, terrific goaltending if Schneider's in a groove), etc...could win a round or two, depending on the opponent.  The question of course is can they get in?

I think they can and will get in.  Too many things are starting to fall into place for this to not happen.

Henrique's goal last night was simply awesome. Still thinking about it, watched it maybe 15-20times. He has had a few great goals like that over the last few games, it's really amazing how he's developing seemingly right in front of our eyes. Last season he wouldn't have been pulling these finese moves.

Henrique's goal last night was simply awesome. Still thinking about it, watched it maybe 15-20times. He has had a few great goals like that over the last few games, it's really amazing how he's developing seemingly right in front of our eyes. Last season he wouldn't have been pulling these finese moves.

its that damn horseshoe .. i think the rest of the team needs to go find one to rub before each game as well

Is there a team in the east you look at and say, "I don't think the Devils could play with them in a seven game series"? Not one. Split with Pittsburgh, only played Boston once (right?) and had that awesome game, beat Tampa handily twice, beat Montreal pretty good the other night, they can certainly run with anyone in the Met. Just get in.

Is there a team in the east you look at and say, "I don't think the Devils could play with them in a seven game series"? Not one. Split with Pittsburgh, only played Boston once (right?) and had that awesome game, beat Tampa handily twice, beat Montreal pretty good the other night, they can certainly run with anyone in the Met. Just get in.

Boston would ruin us, we had a very fortunate game against them this year, everyone else I don't worry about.

Boston for sure they have our number, that one win was after numerous losses and we barley squeaked that one out.

I could see a team like CBJ giving us sh!t loads of trouble.

Obviously we can't hang with Sabres.  

But that's about it.

For whatever reason, Devils match up real well vs Pittsburgh, so I wouldn't consider them one of the toughest.