Colin226

GDT: NJ Devils vs. NY Rangers - 12:30pm on NBC - Stadium Series Editio

559 posts in this topic

Yeah even I agree that's harsh. I think the organization is however flying without a clear idea of where it's going and what they can do and want to do. Deboer and Brodeur and Lou are a big part of this. We need to clean up and chart a course.

They want to make the playoffs this year.  This was the first real bad game they've had in a while.  I know this loss sucks, but let's not overreact and call this team done.  I still believe they're only one good top 6 forward away from being a legit playoff threat.  You can disagree with me there if you want.  But one thing you can't disagree with is facts.  We're one point out of playoff position.

calling us an embarrassing as an organization is ridiculous. This is one of the best franchises historically in all of sports.

if we sold we might have a 1st round pick!

Yea but it wouldn't be a high first round pick.

Yea but it wouldn't be a high first round pick.

I'm pretty sure we just have to give up a 1st round pick, if we take another teams pick we can forfeit theirs and not ours.

I'm pretty sure we just have to give up a 1st round pick, if we take another teams pick we can forfeit theirs and not ours.

I'm not sure if that's how it works.  Does anybody know?

Edited by Mike Brown

In the first yeah, but not after that. And if they were pinching too much it's partly cause this goalie can no longer stop a beach ball and they know they have to score 4+ to win.

If you're pinching on a fast track and can't skate, how is that helping the goalie?   He didn't play well, but it was a swarm of 3 on 1s... and they had a lead.   It was just really really poor strategy.   Should have just backed off and made it difficult for them to get speed.   They didn't, if anything, they made it easy for them to get speed

when you are so far behind you have to try force plays to get back into the game. The devils are good when we are in the lead and force teams to play our game, we are terrible when we have to play someone elses.

They were doing this when they were winning and it was tied!   lol.

First, I'm sure glad I didn't pay those ridicules prices to see this game. Also, funny how people want to scream about how bad we are...were you screaming when we were up 3-2? I put a significant portion of blame on the coaching staff. I love Marty, but to leave him in as long as we did, was bad coaching.

For those ripping Lou, let me remind you that this past off season, and probably last one too, Lou was hamstrung by the ownership situation. He was clearly limited in what he could commit to based on the fact the team was for sale. In hindsight, I'll bet the whole Kovalchuck situation was the result of the Devs finances. It's ridicules to start screaming about Lou.

To absolve Lou Lamoriello of anything that is currently befalling this team is ridiculous in and of itself. Lou hasn't been Lou in a long time and if people want to use the finances as an excuse....well if that makes you sleep at night......

Some of you guys are ridiculous in your reaction to people's posts. Seems like you don't even read them but cherry pick.

Lol and some people wanted to drop extra money on a unique stadium series jersey that never happened.

Well that ruined the last day of my week off . Cory has to start from now on.

Carp, what specifically did the media say that made it seem like they ignored the Devils successes?

It was a bad game. Marty was terrible, and the D was bad. The d has played well recently, but played stupid trying to do too much. If they get back to basics and bench Sal or Volch for one of the kids, that gets easier. Also, Marty has to save some of those breakaways. Almost every hockey games have runs for each team. A good goalie keeps his team in the game during bad runs. Marty did the opposite today. I love him, and wanted him to step it up today (and thought he would), but it didn't happen. They need to ride Cory as hard as they can for the rest of the season. They're still in this thing. Long term, I think they're okay. They have a legit goalie, a core of young d, and a couple bad contracts going away. They need forwards, and this draft would have helped, but forwards are easier to get than d. 

Carp, what specifically did the media say that made it seem like they ignored the Devils successes?

From what I've seen time and time again, at least as of late, the Devils are ignored by the NHL and hockey media. The lead up to this game was about 94 and tons of former Rags were interviewed. As was pointed out a few pages back, this just became a Rags broadcast.

Look at it this way: If we were say second in the division right now and the Rags were dead last, the spotlight would still be on them and 94 not on us and Marty, 3 cups, lou or game 6 in 2012.

It was a bad game. Marty was terrible, and the D was bad. The d has played well recently, but played stupid trying to do too much. If they get back to basics and bench Sal or Volch for one of the kids, that gets easier. Also, Marty has to save some of those breakaways. Almost every hockey games have runs for each team. A good goalie keeps his team in the game during bad runs. Marty did the opposite today. I love him, and wanted him to step it up today (and thought he would), but it didn't happen. They need to ride Cory as hard as they can for the rest of the season. They're still in this thing. Long term, I think they're okay. They have a legit goalie, a core of young d, and a couple bad contracts going away. They need forwards, and this draft would have helped, but forwards are easier to get than d. 

I agree with everything.

From what I've seen time and time again, at least as of late, the Devils are ignored by the NHL and hockey media. The lead up to this game was about 94 and tons of former Rags were interviewed. As was pointed out a few pages back, this just became a Rags broadcast.

Look at it this way: If we were say second in the division right now and the Rags were dead last, the spotlight would still be on them and 94 not on us and Marty, 3 cups, lou or game 6 in 2012.

I agree.  They didn't interview one Devils during the broadcast.  Lou might have had something to do with that though.

What pisses me off maybe more than anything else this season is that they seem to sh!t the bed pretty much every time they get close to a nice playoff position. Win tonight and suddenly you're 2nd in the division. Nope, they forfeit the game after the 1st. Not the first time it happened this season (though I can't remember them looking as bad as in those last two periods in a loong time). At the end of the day, I'm afraid that's they were belong - right below that playoff spot.

Yeah, that was awful. I mean, was it that hard to get an ex-Devil in there for an interview? Even friggin Dano? Also, Roenick was unlistenable, I used to not care about him in the past, I dislike him after today. The whole thing was retarded, since he never even played for the Rags.

What pisses me off maybe more than anything else this season is that they seem to sh!t the bed pretty much every time they get close to a nice playoff position. Win tonight and suddenly you're 2nd in the division. Nope, they forfeit the game after the 1st. Not the first time it happened this season (though I can't remember them looking as bad as in those last two periods in a loong time). At the end of the day, I'm afraid that's they were belong - right below that playoff spot.

Yeah, that was awful. I mean, was it that hard to get an ex-Devil in there for an interview? Even friggin Dano? Also, Roenick was unlistenable, I used to not care about him in the past, I dislike him after today. The whole thing was retarded, since he never even played for the Rags.

What did Roenick say?

When the Devils decide they want to become a "brand" in this market (and they have the ability...and always have had it in my opinion) then and only then will the media pay attention to them in a flattering light. Winning in and of itself is never enough, not in this market. The Devils missed a golden opportunity to become a brand backed by winning and had both hands on the Rangers throats from 1997-2003 and didn't take advantage of it. That chance won't come again any time soon.

I agree. They didn't interview one Devils during the broadcast. Lou might have had something to do with that though.

They interviewed Elias after the first period.

Roenick was probably doing exactly what NBC wanted. 

Sucks to see such a potentially fun game play out like that, but in the end, it's a regular season game.  We need to ride Cory from here on out and hope the offense can stay healthy. The defense has been fine recently for the most part, so I guess we can't hold this one too badly against them. Looks like a lot of Devils got caught in the moment. And for all the hate Sal gets here, Fayne and Gelinas were a mess today. 

Arguably, it's impressive that they're this close. They've had a ton of injuries, have a ton of new faces, including rookies, to break in, and weren't that great to begin with. I hope they have 1 huge run in them, which propels them in, but being close is pretty good all things considered.

Sucks to see such a potentially fun game play out like that, but in the end, it's a regular season game.  We need to ride Cory from here on out and hope the offense can stay healthy. The defense has been fine recently for the most part, so I guess we can't hold this one too badly against them. Looks like a lot of Devils got caught in the moment. And for all the hate Sal gets here, Fayne and Gelinas were a mess today. 

I still want Gelly playing. He needs to take his lumps. Sal's gonna be gone in a couple years. I'd rather Gelly be good then. Also, Gelly brings more to the table with his offensive game. If Sal isn't playing boring, flawless d, he does nothing. I don't know that Sal's worse than Gelly, or even Fayne (though I think he is), I just prefer to see the kids playing. Also, fair or not, Fayne is probably the best candidate to be traded, so he needs to be showcased. Games like this don't exactly help...

That's what .500 teams do and the Devils are terribly average. They aren't good enough to get distance and they aren't bad enough to fall way back. They'll have nights where they'll embarrass teams like st Louis, then get embarrassed like they did today.  

I still want Gelly playing. He needs to take his lumps. Sal's gonna be gone in a couple years. I'd rather Gelly be good then. Also, Gelly brings more to the table with his offensive game. If Sal isn't playing boring, flawless d, he does nothing. I don't know that Sal's worse than Gelly, or even Fayne (though I think he is), I just prefer to see the kids playing. Also, fair or not, Fayne is probably the best candidate to be traded, so he needs to be showcased. Games like this don't exactly help...

I agree with all of that, pretty much. I was just pointing out that for all the hate Sal gets, he wasn't the only one looking bad out there on D.