Colin226

GDT: NJ Devils vs. NY Rangers - 12:30pm on NBC - Stadium Series Editio

559 posts in this topic

This also plays into his argument about poor management. Lou has screwed the pooch when it comes to reupping guys before free agency.  There is reason to fear losing Schneider on Lou's track record alone...

We've been over this and over this.  You can line up guys NJ has lost on one side.  You can line up guys NJ has kept on another.  The guys NJ have kept are more significant and better than the guys they have lost.  They are going to do everything it takes to keep Schneider.

We've been over this and over this.  You can line up guys NJ has lost on one side.  You can line up guys NJ has kept on another.  The guys NJ have kept are more significant and better than the guys they have lost.  They are going to do everything it takes to keep Schneider.

The Schneider's gonna leave stuff is just unfounded fear.   It's pretty clear at this point he has the job and he'll get paid like he gets the job probably before they even drop the puck for next season

The Sharks had the depth to trade Clowe - who by the way had 0 goals at the time of his trade - the Devils did not have the depth to trade Clarkson.

It's not about the current team its about freagin sitting at one point and getting all the infos you need to make the best decision. Lou REFUSES to do that. Clarkson's demand was not gonna work in NJ, 100% sure. So he was gone. Knowing that im sure its changing Lou's approach at the deadline, but since he simply refuse to talk during the season its too late when he's finding out.

It's all about having the knowledge that youre gonna lose a guy to free agency but being willing of keeping him strictly for a run OR not really knowing if you can him or not and simply going in the playoffs with him not thinking about the future of the team. 

i simply don't agree with that approach and nobody will change my mind on that. It wouldnt hurt to at least have preliminary talks during the season.

It's not about the current team its about freagin sitting at one point and getting all the infos you need to make the best decision. Lou REFUSES to do that. Clarkson's demand was not gonna work in NJ, 100% sure. So he was gone. Knowing that im sure its changing Lou's approach at the deadline, but since he simply refuse to talk during the season its too late when he's finding out.

It's all about having the knowledge that youre gonna lose a guy to free agency but being willing of keeping him strictly for a run OR not really knowing if you can him or not and simply going in the playoffs with him not thinking about the future of the team. 

i simply don't agree with that approach and nobody will change my mind on that. It wouldnt hurt to at least have preliminary talks during the season.

It hurts trading away players and making your team worse.  Which is what the Sharks did - they got Raffi Torres for a 3rd round pick to replace Clowe.  Torres is an underrated player, but when he was suspended they were forced to rely on worse players.

They've kept better players than Parise and Niedermayer?  Scott Stevens tried to bolt also... Keeping Schneider is not a slam dunk. Schneider is going to sign where he thinks gives him the best chance to win and make the most money?  The Islanders could throw the kitchen sink at him...  There are a lot of teams out there that are going to be in the mix to get him.  Trading the pick for 2 years of him was not a good trade at all.  Locking him up long-term is the key to that trade.  Lou's best chance to do that would have been last summer.  Now, we've already frustrated him with playing time and playing behind a marginal team.

They've kept better players than Parise and Niedermayer?  Scott Stevens tried to bolt also... Keeping Schneider is not a slam dunk. Schneider is going to sign where he thinks gives him the best chance to win and make the most money?  The Islanders could throw the kitchen sink at him...  There are a lot of teams out there that are going to be in the mix to get him.  Trading the pick for 2 years of him was not a good trade at all.  Locking him up long-term is the key to that trade.  Lou's best chance to do that would have been last summer.  Now, we've already frustrated him with playing time and playing behind a marginal team.

The Devils have the extra year to give, that's worth $6.5-7M.   And how was he going to sign last summer with an existing contract?    If you're going to complain, at least understand how the system works, Schneider can't sign a contract until 7/1/14

1 person likes this

Ok, so now Lou was suppose to sign players who clearly had personal reasons for leaving? Let's look at some of the "stars" who left: Gomez? Gionta? Clarkson? Parise? Martin? Kovy? How about giving some credit to Lou for finding these guys in the first place? It seems like except for a couple of guys over the years, Lou seems to have a keen sense for knowing when to sell. In the case of Parise, you can't fires a guy to stay. Clarkson? If he gave us the same performance he's giving Toronto, you same people would be screaming how it was a stupid signing. I just don't understand the Lou haters. Let me ask you this: who would you replace him with?

And BTW, Scott Stevens was an RFA.   He may have thought about leaving, but the key thing is that he was going to get more money from someone else other than Lou, who was notorious in dealing with the RFAs under the old system.   

The Devils have the extra year to give, that's worth $6.5-7M.   And how was he going to sign last summer with an existing contract?    If you're going to complain, at least understand how the system works, Schneider can't sign a contract until 7/1/14

Ok, let's see if he signs a contract on 7/1 then.   

Ok, let's see if he signs a contract on 7/1 then.   

What's the difference between 7/1 and 8/29?    The most money he's going to get is going to be from the Devils, the system sees to this.

You think Elias, Stevens, and Brodeur are worse players than Parise and Niedermayer?  Okay then.

This also plays into his argument about poor management. Lou has screwed the pooch when it comes to reupping guys before free agency.  There is reason to fear losing Schneider on Lou's track record alone...

Seeing Marty have as many meltdowns as he's had this year make it that much more likely Lou does lock up Cory in the offseason :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

Ok, so now Lou was suppose to sign players who clearly had personal reasons for leaving? Let's look at some of the "stars" who left: Gomez? Gionta? Clarkson? Parise? Martin? Kovy? How about giving some credit to Lou for finding these guys in the first place? It seems like except for a couple of guys over the years, Lou seems to have a keen sense for knowing when to sell. In the case of Parise, you can't fires a guy to stay. Clarkson? If he gave us the same performance he's giving Toronto, you same people would be screaming how it was a stupid signing. I just don't understand the Lou haters. Let me ask you this: who would you replace him with?

I never said he's done a horrible job overall.  The poni trade 2 years ago was a great deal.  Of course he's done good things.  But he plays russian roulette with these guys instead of locking them up because of his policy.  

What's the difference between 7/1 and 8/29?    The most money he's going to get is going to be from the Devils, the system sees to this.

This too...so long as you offer Cory an eight-year deal (which there's no real reason not to assuming he doesn't nosedive the rest of the season) there's really no reason he wouldn't be signed barring getting bitten by the 'I want to go home' disease.

You think Elias, Stevens, and Brodeur are worse players than Parise and Niedermayer?  Okay then.

I believe Parise is a better player than Elias and Niedermayer was a better player than Stevens.  Brodeur never thought of going anywhere at any point hence the reason he didn't need an agent.

This too...so long as you offer Cory an eight-year deal (which there's no real reason not to assuming he doesn't nosedive the rest of the season) there's really no reason he wouldn't be signed barring getting bitten by the 'I want to go home' disease.

Yep, the only downside in this would have been if he turned out to not be as advertised when he's stretched out and plays more.   So far he seems better than advertised and he's snuffing Marty, which would have been the other concern.   He has the numbers he has WITH a rough patch in there.   He's really good.   He'll play alot down the stretch, he'll play the playoff games if there are any, and he'll have a stooge as a backup next year, whether it's Marty or Kinkaid or something.   I don't see what the panic is about.

I believe Parise is a better player than Elias and Niedermayer was a better player than Stevens.  Brodeur never thought of going anywhere at any point hence the reason he didn't need an agent.

If you think Neidermayer was a better player than Stevens, you started watching hockey around 11-12 years ago.   Parise also probably isn't better than Elias.  

Interviews with players are up now on NHL.com and NJD.com,

Funny Jagr clip when asked if he took time to look around and take in the experience.

"Yeah, it looked like we all did in the second period."

It feels good to laugh again.

And Marty does say it's the worse ice he ever played on.... but it was in response to a later question about the condition of the ice before and after the delay... It wasn't -- Why did you suck today Marty? "Well it was because the ice was the worst I ever I played on!"

He does blame his play on bad luck and having no feel in the outdoor game, which will probably still be upsetting for a lot of people.

Edited by devils102

Scott Stevens had 908 points and nearly 2800 penalty minutes as well as being the most feared hitter in the game. He's head and shoulders above Nieds.

I think you're forgetting how good pre-2002 Scott Stevens was. And Parise, if he keeps going at this pace *may* end up being as good as Elias, but probably not. Elias' career high in points was higher during the dead puck era. He's played center too. He never played with anyone as good as Kovalchuk. It's arguable whether Parise's even a better player than him *now* and I'd argue he's not

edit: parise: 27 pts in 39 games (not star material there)

Elias: 27 points in 37 games going into today I assume? Just searched on ESPN. Elias all day err day

Edited by DH26

I think you're forgetting how good pre-2002 Scott Stevens was. And Parise, if he keeps going at this pace *may* end up being as good as Elias, but probably not. Elias' career high in points was higher during the dead puck era. He's played center too. He never played with anyone as good as Kovalchuk. It's arguable whether Parise's even a better player than him *now* and I'd argue he's not

Parise is a class of player that is allowed to exist because of the rule changes.   If they didn't change the rules, you'd need to be John Leclair's size to play his style.   Without it, he's probably a checking winger who plays off transition.   A John Madden type.

Yep, the only downside in this would have been if he turned out to not be as advertised when he's stretched out and plays more.   So far he seems better than advertised and he's snuffing Marty, which would have been the other concern.   He has the numbers he has WITH a rough patch in there.   He's really good.   He'll play alot down the stretch, he'll play the playoff games if there are any, and he'll have a stooge as a backup next year, whether it's Marty or Kinkaid or something.   I don't see what the panic is about.

If you think Neidermayer was a better player than Stevens, you started watching hockey around 11-12 years ago.   Parise also probably isn't better than Elias.  

This is really a stupid argument....

I look at Niedermayer and I watch him play with a Ken Daneyko for years long after Daneyko should have retired and I see a player who is virtually playing D without a partner... I see guy who holds every championship known to his sport. I see a guy who left a team and a system and put a new team on his back and carries them to a championship.  Like I said, this is a stupid argument they are both HOFer's.  If I was starting over with both of them I'd take Niedermayer.

Met him in Hoboken at City Bistro over the summer right before I moved to LA.  Dude is funny as hell and as random as hell in person in casual conversation.  First thing he says to me, "brooooooo, LAAAAAAAAA...good luck mannnnnn....I almost got divorced 6 times because of that (effing) place".  He was cool and I became a bigger fan after chatting with him that night...super approachable, laid back, kinda douchey but funny as hell.

Roenick was one of my most hated players growing up but I've completely changed my opinion on him now that he's on tv. I love his personality. Will be interesting to see if the NHL moves to Seattle and he ends up being a part of the front office.

This is really a stupid argument....

I look at Niedermayer and I watch him play with a Ken Daneyko for years long after Daneyko should have retired and I see a player who is virtually playing D without a partner... I see guy who holds every championship known to his sport. I see a guy who left a team and a system and put a new team on his back and carries them to a championship.  Like I said, this is a stupid argument they are both HOFer's.  If I was starting over with both of them I'd take Niedermayer.

He played with Colin White when Daneyko was shot, and Colin White was actually good for awhile, and even then, I was down in the defensive zone during Game 7 in Ottawa... he had a bad game.   Obviously yeah, they're both great players, but Stevens threw away a portion of his game for a reason and Neidermayer got to play his second chapter in a friendly environment.   

Edited by maxpower