Brodeur embarrassed himself and the franchise today

'7'

i think hes having a hard time just accepting everything that is going on with the goalie situation.. clearly he is.. this was the first interview that ive read with him actually sounding more and more open to being traded almost like he wants it to happen..sad

I didn't get that feel after reading the article.  Where was he trashing teammates? 

There's a part in the article where Brodeur talks about the two on one's he had to face and Lundqvist didn't. Of course none of those 2 on 1's resulted in Oates to Hull unstoppable wristers to the top corner. they were all stoppable.

Brodeur is just being a passive aggressive sourpuss who is in denial. We need to make a playoff run...not be distracted by flakey Martin Brodeur trying to stoke trade rumors for himself.

What team is going to want him? Does he want to go sit on a folding chair near the Zamboni at the Nassau Mausoleum while splitting starts with Kevin Poulin? Because that's the best we can do for you now Marty.

There's a part in the article where Brodeur talks about the two on one's he had to face and Lundqvist didn't. Of course none of those 2 on 1's resulted in Oates to Hull unstoppable wristers to the top corner. they were all stoppable.

Brodeur is just being a passive aggressive sourpuss who is in denial. We need to make a playoff run...not be distracted by flakey Martin Brodeur trying to stoke trade rumors for himself.

What team is going to want him? Does he want to go sit on a folding chair near the Zamboni at the Nassau Mausoleum while splitting starts with Kevin Poulin? Because that's the best we can do for you now Marty.

Seriously????  He said what everyone has said.  The Devils did let up a lot of 2 on 1's.  These were stoppable in your eyes.  I didn't see it the same as you.  I mean look at the tone of your 1st post in starting this thread.

The Devils didn't shoot the puck.  I still don't see the trashing.  He said that he couldn't feel his equipment.  He did say it was a good atmosphere.  Also, he said Lundqvist probably felt the effects of the cold.  I mean Lundqvist thought he was going to be pulled after the 1st period.  He is trying to adjust from being number 1 and having things change.  He isn't sure how to deal with it.  Nothing wrong there.  Anyone who has their job change is going to have to deal with adjusting.  I see nothing wrong with what he said.

There is so much venom lately all over this forum.  It really takes the enjoyment out of participating. 

Marty's never pulled punches, and he's always believed he's great. The former is a small annoyance that becomes bigger when he plays badly, the latter is the reason he was great, which is a major inconvenience now that he's not. He's done, but nothing he said in the interview is out of character, nor is it that bad. Throw in the fact that Chere's articles this year about Brodeur have basically been trolling, and we're giving this way more attention than it merits.

Edited by mouse

Schneider: 26 GP .927 SV%, 1.86 GAA, +9.14 GSAA, .929 5v5 SV%
Brodeur: 28 GP .899 SV%, 2.52 GAA, -9.90 GSAA, .897 5v5 SV%

I understand it's gotta be hard for Brodeur to accept that he isn't good anymore, but I really wish he would just gracefully ride out into the sunset as the back up and not say a whole lot.

I don't think most people here are trying to spit venom Brodeur's way but after last year I think everyone is wary of missing the playoffs again despite not being a bad team. 5v5 Score Close Fenwick For% has been shown to usually be a solid indicator of who is a good team that should be in the playoffs. Last year the Devils had the 3rd best 5v5 Score Close FF% in the NHL and ended up missing the playoffs due to a real bad stretch for the offense late in the year and the goaltending being generally awful.

This year they have the 5th best 5v5 Score Close FF% and really can't afford to be giving Brodeur any leeway due to how much this offense struggles and now that they have an above average goalie in Schneider. They could very well end up costing themselves a spot because they were too lenient with Brodeur.

I really don't see what Marty said that was so awful, but the fact is, for the most part, for this season and last, he's been an inconsistent (often bad) goalie no matter how often he plays...I don't think if he were given five or six straight starts, he would suddenly turn into the Marty of his prime (but I think he probably does). 

For most of his career, Marty's been a guy who's answered questions when they've put to him, and right now, maybe he's being too honest.  Obviously he's struggling with not being "the man" anymore...I understand that, but I guess I'd rather see him do it more quietly, and not be so forthright in his quotes...almost take a "Until my next start, I don't really have anything to say" approach. 

I really don't see what Marty said that was so awful. 

..the reality is nothing. He said nothing out of line or character changing at all. But I think what's aggravating people is the tone of the conversation. He's sending alot of inflections that he wants to be dealt. Almost as if he'd look forward to it happening. He's not shooting these rumors down. Moreover, multiple times Chere tries to agrue against himself, and Marty responds with why it would work. *Example; Wouldn't it make sense to keep you as a back-up with your exp.? --and Marty saying; "well, a goalie with exp. could come back via trade." Chere asked him outright about how he'd feel about the whole thing, and he responds with; "I don't know.. I don't know.. I don't know where my heads at.. I don't know how I feel.. I don't know.. blah, blah" ..when all people want is for him to say; I'm a Devil, I'll always be a Devil, I played my entire career here, and I want to retire here. He's not saying anything like that at all. In fact, he's fueling this sh!t with cryptic quotes like; "we'll see.. you never know.. stranger things have happened.. I have the luxury to do what I want to do.. it might be attractive to play more somewhere else.. etc. It's now gotten to the point where players are being asked about Brodeur being traded. Schneider being asked.. DeBoer being asked. For a team fighting for a playoff spot, do they really need a distraction like this?? :noclue:

Edited by Beezer34

I have the luxury to do what I want to do.. it might be attractive to play more somewhere else.. etc. It's now gotten to the point where players are being asked about Brodeur being traded. Schneider being asked.. DeBoer being asked. For a team fighting for a playoff spot, do they really need a distraction like this?? :noclue:

That's on the media though, not Brodeur, in my opinion.

..the reality is nothing. He said nothing out of line or character changing at all. But I think what's aggravating people is the tone of the conversation. He's sending alot of inflections that he wants to be dealt. Almost as if he'd look forward to it happening. He's not shooting these rumors down. Moreover, multiple times Chere tries to agrue against himself, and Marty responds with why it would work. *Example; Wouldn't it make sense to keep you as a back-up with your exp.? --and Marty saying; "well, a goalie with exp. could come back via trade." Chere asked him outright about how he'd feel about the whole thing, and he responds with; "I don't know.. I don't know.. I don't know where my heads at.. I don't know how I feel.. I don't know.. blah, blah" ..when all people want is for him to say; I'm a Devil, I'll always be a Devil, I played my entire career here, and I want to retire here. He's not saying anything like that at all. In fact, he's fueling this sh!t with cryptic quotes like; "we'll see.. you never know.. stranger things have happened.. I have the luxury to do what I want to do.. it might be attractive to play more somewhere else.. etc. It's now gotten to the point where players are being asked about Brodeur being traded. Schneider being asked.. DeBoer being asked. For a team fighting for a playoff spot, do they really need a distraction like this?? :noclue:

This is why I kind of want to him to say almost nothing at all...once the words are on paper, they're open to being picked apart, interpreted/reinterpreted/misinterpreted etc.  The funny thing, if Marty said "I'm a Devil, I'll always be a Devil, etc.", then you can be sure some fans would say "So if the Devils are out of it or not looking like a contender by the deadline and Lou wanted to deal him, Marty wouldn't be willling to do what's best for the team?"  When it comes to answering reporters' questions, at this point he'll never be able to say anything that pleases everyone, especially since it looks like he's having a tough time being a declining player who is losing his job to a guy who is simply better than he currently is.   

That's on the media though, not Brodeur, in my opinion.

In a way, yes, but Marty's media-savvy enough to know that these guys are always looking to make a story out of everything and anything, and don't mind doing a little he-said she-said to get it.  (Pete, Marty said this about the goalie situation...any comment?)  The less Marty says to them, the less they have to run with/twist, etc.

Seriously????  He said what everyone has said.  The Devils did let up a lot of 2 on 1's.  These were stoppable in your eyes.  I didn't see it the same as you.  I mean look at the tone of your 1st post in starting this thread.

The Devils didn't shoot the puck.  I still don't see the trashing.  He said that he couldn't feel his equipment.  He did say it was a good atmosphere.  Also, he said Lundqvist probably felt the effects of the cold.  I mean Lundqvist thought he was going to be pulled after the 1st period.  He is trying to adjust from being number 1 and having things change.  He isn't sure how to deal with it.  Nothing wrong there.  Anyone who has their job change is going to have to deal with adjusting.  I see nothing wrong with what he said.

There is so much venom lately all over this forum.  It really takes the enjoyment out of participating. 

On second read it isn't that bad, but here's what I still have a problem with:  honesty.  Everyone else on the team is lying through their teeth about Brodeur, but he can't pick up his teammates even once?  And has to make a bunch of excuses on top of that?  I know he's always been that way, it's just frustrating to keep hearing it when he actually isn't any good anymore.

On second read it isn't that bad, but here's what I still have a problem with:  honesty.  Everyone else on the team is lying through their teeth about Brodeur, but he can't pick up his teammates even once?  And has to make a bunch of excuses on top of that?  I know he's always been that way, it's just frustrating to keep hearing it when he actually isn't any good anymore.

It's a shame he leveraged that second year on the contract in 2012. He really could be a godsend to Schneider over these last 20 something games by supporting him, coaching him, and quietly letting the torch be passed, but like most legends that overstay their welcome he just can't accept a lesser role. I won't feel comfortable until he announces his retirement or Lou officially says he isn't being re-signed.

Even the greats can't sometimes know when to call it quits.  It happens in every sport.

But Marty needs to not go down whining and playing the 'woe is me" bullsh!t game.  

Newsflash:  NO TEAM in this league will let you play consecutive games anymore.  There's not a single team in this league outside of Edmonton who would even consider Marty a 1B goalie - he's only getting that here because of his legacy.

But, hey, if he burns his bridges here, it'll make his departure this summer easier I guess.  

I love ya Marty, but it's time.

Probably the fairest criticism I've heard yet.  I think a lot of his teammates are biting their tongues re:  Marty's level of play, and I think it's because they truly do respect and like him.  But can't help but wonder if eventually an anonymous teammate dares to say something if there's a start that Cory probably should've gotten and Marty's play clearly costs his team a win in that game.       

i hope he doesnt go out whining like this.. but at the same time i dont really think he will go off and get traded either.. i think its pretty clear that he is going to play another season i just wonder who it is going to be with

Sadly, 30 NHL teams maybe have a lot more to say about it than Marty.  Like others have pointed out, who is he really an improvement over?  One problem with Chere's article was when Chere said something about how teams would love to have a goalie with 682 wins on their team.  None of those wins are really relevant now and going forward. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

If Marty really needs the alimony money that badly then he can go make some nice dough in Europe or Russia. The seasons aren't as long. They would love to have a big name.

If he get a backup job somewhere outside of NJ it's going to look about as sad as Chelios on the Thrashers

I don't get what's going on inside his head. Does he really think he's still good? Does nobody on the Devils...not even Lou, man enough to tell him it's over. 

Edited by '7'

If Marty really needs the alimony money that badly then he can go make some nice dough in Europe or Russia. The seasons aren't as long. They would love to have a big name.

If he get a backup job somewhere outside of NJ it's going to look about as sad as Chelios on the Thrashers

I don't get what's going on inside his head. Does he really think he's still good? Does nobody on the Devils...not even Lou, man enough to tell him it's over. 

To answer the bold, I think that's exactly what it is. He thinks he can still be one of the best. I'm sure in his mind he's playing ok, or he thinks he's in a bit of a slump and "darnit, if they'd just let me play 10 games in a row, I'd be fine". Unfortunately when you can't see the forest for the trees, what you think is slump has slowly become the norm. Those solid games that Marty thinks are the usual, and at one time were the usual, are the rarity.

It's just not easy for someone who was at the top of their world for an extended period of time to realize that they aren't anymore. It's easy for us to see on the outside looking in, because we can see the whole pitcure. And I'm sure Lou has to see it, but he won't embarrass Marty by publicly mentioning it. Lou wanted to sign Marty for one year in 2012, but got leveraged into signing him for 2 because of the potential lockout and the supposed interest from Chicago and Toronto when he was on the market. Schneider makes it so that Lou has all the leverage, and I think Lou will use the opportunity for the "team to go in another direction."  I'm sure Lou will address it when the time is right, and for all we know, he's already spoken to Marty about it behind closed doors.

Lou and Pete need to take Marty into the office, tell him what the deal is respectfully. He needs to agree to not speak publicly without endorsing Cory and work like a backup goaltender and when he's called, he's called upon but it maybe weeks. If he doesn't like it, he can stay home and wait for a trade if it ever comes, or he can retire effective immediately and go out with some class. It's really up to him. The team is bigger.