Discuss - Most Likely Trade Deadline Targets

Sharifijanov2099

Yeah, I really hope this guy can have a career and not have everyone holding when he was drafted over his head. He had no choice in the matter.

Agreed.  Although it's hard not to at times.  He shouldn't be held accountable for what might end up being a big mistake by Lou.

L

And it's getting tiring seeing people reference the Devils as "just outside a spot". We need to look at trends here..not just current standings. Big picture stuff. Does anyone here think the Devils will somehow magically find a way to get 65-70% of the points available from this point forward without something drastic like a coach change or huge shakeup trade (neither of which is likely coming)?

It's really a 50-50 proposition. What they have going for them is having arguably the best goalie in hockey who will be getting 85 to 90 percent of the starts for the rest of the season. And they are very good defensively. True, barring something none of us can see coming, the lack of scoring won't change. But when you're only going to give up an average of less than two goals a game, you don't have to have much scoring to sneak into a playoff spot.

Also, blowing it up, so to speak, won't do much for the team in the long term. The assets you would be willing to jettison, even Jagr, won't bring a return that you can count on to help the team down the road. I mean, maybe you can get a late first rounder for Jagr, and that's a stretch. Most of those guys don't turn into excellent scorers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

young player that’s better than a veteran, then it’s our job to make room for him” and yet young defensemen Adam Larsson and Eric Gelinas are both in the AHL with Albany at the moment after playing pretty well for the Devils earlier this season.

Right now, the only young defenseman on the roster is Jon Merrill, who turned 22 on Monday.

When I asked Lamoriello if he needs to make moves to get Larsson and Gelinas on this team before the end of this season, he replied, “The best players have to play.”

At this point, Lamoriello does not consider Larsson and Gelinas to be in that group, but he expects them to be in the future.

None of those players can be sent to the AHL without clearing waivers, so it was not an option for them to go to Albany to get their games back first. Still, four weeks should be plenty of time for Larsson to get ready to reclaim a position he had before he was injured like every other injured player on the team has done this season.

“He got hurt and he went down and he’s getting his game together and in my opinion he’s not ready right now to come back in where he’s at,” Lamoriello said. “It has nothing to do with anything. It also has to do with how people are playing here.”

Yeah whatever you say Lou, because Salvador is playing out of his mind. Harrold too.

“He got hurt and he went down and he’s getting his game together and in my opinion he’s not ready right now to come back in where he’s at,” Lamoriello said. “It has nothing to do with anything. It also has to do with how people are playing here.”

I think Lou's actually losing his mind.

Ugh this is frustrating.  I JUST DON'T GET HARROLD.  What does he bring?  What value do Lou and PDB see in him?  Some offense?  Bring Gelinas up for offense.  Harrold's garbage defensively, so he can't be up for that reason.

This team is really just..stress-inducing.  I get more frustration not knowing what the hell is actually going on behind the scenes than I do pleasure watching the games it seems.

I'm so not sipping on the Kool Aid this year.

Edited by Devilsfan118

Listen, I'm not going to entertain you with yet another board arguement so you can boost your post count some more - you've done enough of that in the past few days with different people in various threads. You're not rational - you're annoyingly and falsely optimistic. I refuse to get into it over something as silly as this.

My point here, again, is that I firmly believe the Devils should not be buyers this season. In fact, I think it'd be downright stupid to not trade several of Jagr/Zidlicky/Fayne if possible. Call up Gelinas, Larsson, and Boucher and let them play the season out. It'll be ugly, but at least it'll be progress.

And it's getting tiring seeing people reference the Devils as "just outside a spot". We need to look at trends here..not just current standings alone. Big picture stuff - does anyone here think the Devils will somehow magically find a way to get 65-70% of the points available from this point forward without something drastic like a coach change or huge shakeup trade (neither of which is likely coming)?

first, there's nothing wrong with being optimistic. If you don't like what mike contributes to the board you can simply put him on ignore.

As someone above me said, jagr will get you the best return if you trade him, and at best it's a late first round pick. Honestly id rather just be entertained for the remaining 25 games and watch a legend in a devils uniform that just throw him away for a first that has a higher chance of busting than the devils do of missing the playoffs.

The thing about the whole getting 65% of our remaining points is that the devils play so many close games that the difference between 2 points and 0 points on many nights is a goal, a few hit posts, or one bad play. We've played (and I believe lost) the most 1 goal games of any team this year, and have rarely been blown out. That alone makes me believe that yes we can go in a but of a run here after the Olympics (especially now that we're totally healthy).

first, there's nothing wrong with being optimistic. If you don't like what mike contributes to the board you can simply put him on ignore.

No, there's nothing wrong with being optimistic. However, it gets annoying talking to someone who refuses to actually acknowledge the reality of the situation.

And trust me, I'm close to doing so.

As someone above me said, jagr will get you the best return if you trade him, and at best it's a late first round pick. Honestly id rather just be entertained for the remaining 25 games and watch a legend in a devils uniform that just throw him away for a first that has a higher chance of busting than the devils do of missing the playoffs.

The thing about the whole getting 65% of our remaining points is that the devils play so many close games that the difference between 2 points and 0 points on many nights is a goal, a few hit posts, or one bad play. We've played (and I believe lost) the most 1 goal games of any team this year, and have rarely been blown out. That alone makes me believe that yes we can go in a but of a run here after the Olympics (especially now that we're totally healthy).

The same can be said about the entire season thus far - and it's left the Devils right where they are, significantly (imo) back from the last playoff spot. I mean, there's just not enough reason for me to believe (despite my sig - letting you down here MB30) that it'll all suddenly click. I hope it does - I would love to be eating massive, ungodly amounts of crow in two months.

You can play this hypothetical situation out a million different ways - maybe the Devils don't trade Jagr, and he gets hurt and misses the rest of the season. Or maybe he completely rebels against PDB and destroys the locker room. Obviously exaggerated and unlikely scenarios, but.. you hopefully get what I'm trying to say here.

We'll have to agree to disagree - I'd rather the Devils acquire picks/prospects (regardless of the chance of the players amounting to something) than see Vets play out their contracts. Maybe you get a late 1st for Jagr, a 2nd for Zidlicky, a 3rd/4th for Fayne - maybe Lou can make a package to move up in the 1st round with these assets. It's obviously alllll hypothetical - but I'd rather see the Devils take this route.

Edited by Devilsfan118

No, there's nothing wrong with being optimistic. However, it gets annoying talking to someone who refuses to actually acknowledge the reality of the situation.

And trust me, I'm close to doing so.

The same can be said about the entire season thus far - and it's left the Devils right where they are, significantly (imo) back from the last playoff spot. I mean, there's just not enough reason for me to believe (despite my sig - letting you down here MB30) that it'll all suddenly click. I hope it does - I would love to be eating massive, ungodly amounts of crow in two months.

You can play this hypothetical situation out a million different ways - maybe the Devils don't trade Jagr, and he gets hurt and misses the rest of the season. Or maybe he completely rebels against PDB and destroys the locker room. Obviously exaggerated and unlikely scenarios, but.. you hopefully get what I'm trying to say here.

We'll have to agree to disagree - I'd rather the Devils acquire picks/prospects (regardless of the chance of the players amounting to something) than see Vets play out their contracts. Maybe you get a late 1st for Jagr, a 2nd for Zidlicky, a 3rd/4th for Fayne - maybe Lou can make a package to move up in the 1st round with these assets. It's obviously alllll hypothetical - but I'd rather see the Devils take this route.

fair enough... Believe me if there is a plate of crow for you and others in a few weeks mike and I and others would love to serve it to you nice and hot!
  • Like 1

I am tired of Lou with his remarks as a matter of fact I am tired of Lou period.

I said it multiple times that Lou Lamoriello is not the Lou Lamoriello of "old".  How much of today's Lou has to do with the reality of the league he now deals in can be an all day discussion because the league has changed so much compared to 10-15-20 years ago. Today, he has to weigh making moves under the cap, teams changing the way they deal because of the cap, teams importance of trading/not trading picks, terrible contracts to take on, etc, etc. 

I do feel, however, that Lou has gotten away from something. Some "edge". Sometimes it looks like he's lost or an inability/ability to properly judge personnel or make decisions regarding, becoming too "soft", handing out legacy contracts....things you wouldn't picture the Lou of 1990 or 1995 or 2000 to be doing. The CS trade was a heist, but it also fell into his lap. I only wish the same thing can fall into his lap in the form of a top 6 forward.

Being just outside of a playoff spot is all the more reason to buy, because that could be the difference between being in or out. They don't have shootouts in the playoffs.

That's a great point.

I said it multiple times that Lou Lamoriello is not the Lou Lamoriello of "old".  How much of today's Lou has to do with the reality of the league he now deals in can be an all day discussion because the league has changed so much compared to 10-15-20 years ago. Today, he has to weigh making moves under the cap, teams changing the way they deal because of the cap, teams importance of trading/not trading picks, terrible contracts to take on, etc, etc. 

I do feel, however, that Lou has gotten away from something. Some "edge". Sometimes it looks like he's lost or an inability/ability to properly judge personnel or make decisions regarding, becoming too "soft", handing out legacy contracts....things you wouldn't picture the Lou of 1990 or 1995 or 2000 to be doing. The CS trade was a heist, but it also fell into his lap. I only wish the same thing can fall into his lap in the form of a top 6 forward.

I understand what your saying but it seems like you don't want to give credit to him for the Schneider trade... I don't think it was as simple as "falling into his lap". There were many on here who didn't like the trade at first and hey let's be honest if he doesn't re-sign here it was a bad trade, but good or bad you have to credit Lou for making it.

I understand what your saying but it seems like you don't want to give credit to him for the Schneider trade... I don't think it was as simple as "falling into his lap". There were many on here who didn't like the trade at first and hey let's be honest if he doesn't re-sign here it was a bad trade, but good or bad you have to credit Lou for making it.

Absolutely.  Lou knew Hedberg couldn't come back, and that Marty was a question mark after a shaky 2013.  He didn't have anyone from within to bring up.  Lou went out and managed to get a guy who clearly has top-end talent.  Not sure why RS thinks Cory just fell into Lou's lap.  It was a pretty ballsy move to make, especially since he was basically telling the guy who's been here forever that his time was just about up.

We have D to spare but I don't think its Sal. GMs won't bring in a guy 1/2 way through a season just for leadership. No offense, but id rather get something more impactful than what we would get for him. Lose a young d man for a top 6 explosive forward, Besides, he's my neighbor so I'd hate to see him go.

Listen, I'm not going to entertain you with yet another board arguement so you can boost your post count some more - you've done enough of that in the past few days with different people in various threads.  You're not rational - you're annoyingly and falsely optimistic.  I refuse to get into it over something as silly as this.

My point here, again, is that I firmly believe the Devils should not be buyers this season.  In fact, I think it'd be downright stupid to not trade several of Jagr/Zidlicky/Fayne if possible.  Call up Gelinas, Larsson, and Boucher and let them play the season out.  It'll be ugly, but at least it'll be progress.

And it's getting tiring seeing people reference the Devils as "just outside a spot".  We need to look at trends here..not just current standings alone.  Big picture stuff - does anyone here think the Devils will somehow magically find a way to get 65-70% of the points available from this point forward without something drastic like a coach change or huge shakeup trade (neither of which is likely coming)?

Everything is lined up for them to make the playoffs if they execute.  They have a weak schedule, and most of their games are at home.  I'm just stating facts here.  That's the reality of the situation.  Being pessimistic like you're being isn't being realistic.  Saying this team has no chance to overcome a 5 point deficit is not being realistic.  And despite the fact we have to jump over 3 or 4 teams, it's also not realistic to assume those teams are just gonna win much of their remaining games either.  We have no idea what those teams are gonna do.

Also, we would get very little for those guys you mention.  Unless you're ok with just dumping them.  Fine.  But don't expect anything much for them.  Even Jagr. Zidlicky has a NTC as well.  So why even bother trading them?

What's getting tiresome is people not looking at the big picture.  I agree, but in the opposite way.  16-8-1 is not setting the world on fire.  But if they do that, they'll have almost a 75% chance of getting in.  There would be nothing magical whatsoever about accomplishing that.  What if by some chance we're actually in a playoff position by March 5?  Should we still be sellers?  Also, another thing I was trying to get into people's skulls is that if the Devils make it to 93 points, it won't matter what the other teams do.  The fact we would have to jump over teams, and games in hand becomes irrelevant.

Now to answer your question.  Do any of us see this team going on a torrid enough of a run to make the playoffs?  Whether we do or not, it's not the point.  Nobody can predict that their team is gonna go on a long winning streak.  I mean sometimes you can sense it, but nobody can actually predict it.  The whole point of buying is to make your team better.  So looking at the team now is pointless.  Because if we make a trade for true bonafide scorer, it obviously won't be the same team.

When was the last time any GM decided to give up on a season when they were only 5 or so points out?  Not many GM's would.  So why should Lou be any different?

Edited by Mike Brown

Absolutely.  Lou knew Hedberg couldn't come back, and that Marty was a question mark after a shaky 2013.  He didn't have anyone from within to bring up.  Lou went out and managed to get a guy who clearly has top-end talent.  Not sure why RS thinks Cory just fell into Lou's lap.  It was a pretty ballsy move to make, especially since he was basically telling the guy who's been here forever that his time was just about up.

To add to this, Vancouver had been set on trading Luongo for a while. He was basically begging to be a Panther. Lou managed to convince them to give us the better long-term option, AND for less than other teams had previously offered for Cory. It was definitely more than "falling into his lap."

Name another team besides the Devils and not named the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Flyers who needed a goaltender as badly. While we can assume some teams kicked the tires who didn't necessarily *need* a goalie as badly, where was he realistically going? Most around the league thought it was Luongo going bye bye, including himself. 

The Flyers for whatever reason didn't pull the trigger. The Canucks weren't trading CS to the Oilers. Vancouver most likely preferred CS in the East, too. So it isn't a stretch to say that CS fell into Lou's lap. Knowing this, Lou stepped up, used an asset and made the deal, but let's not make it seem like he outbid and outfoxed half the league here like the Lou of old would. 

Edited by TheRedStorm

To add to this, Vancouver had been set on trading Luongo for a while. He was basically begging to be a Panther. Lou managed to convince them to give us the better long-term option, AND for less than other teams had previously offered for Cory. It was definitely more than "falling into his lap."

Vancouver found out they couldn't trade Luongo because of his contract and that appeasing him by trading him to the team of his choice wasn't going to happen, either. They came to the realization they were stuck with one another.

Lou pulled a coup in a limited market. 

Edited by TheRedStorm

Name another team besides the Devils and not named the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Flyers who needed a goaltender as badly. While we can assume some teams kicked the tires who didn't necessarily *need* a goalie as badly, where was he realistically going? Most around the league thought it was Luongo going bye bye, including himself. 

The Flyers for whatever reason didn't pull the trigger. The Canucks weren't trading CS to the Oilers. Vancouver most likely preferred CS in the East, too. So it isn't a stretch to say that CS fell into Lou's lap. Knowing this, Lou stepped up, used an asset and made the deal, but let's not make it seem like he outbid and outfoxed half the league here like the Lou of old would. 

The Islanders.  The Panthers.  Toronto traded for a guy who they thought could be a starting goalie, so maybe throw them into the mix.

The idea that this deal 'fell into Lou's lap' is ridiculous - you know how I know it's ridiculous?  I don't remember reading ANYONE thinking this was a possibility.  It's an enormous trade - both what it suggested about Lou's faith in the team in the future (high) and what he felt about Brodeur (not high).

Edited by Triumph
  • Like 2

What's getting tiresome is people not looking at the big picture.  I agree, but in the opposite way.  16-8-1 is not setting the world on fire.  But if they do that, they'll have almost a 75% chance of getting in.  There would be nothing magical whatsoever about accomplishing that.  What if by some chance we're actually in a playoff position by March 5?  Should we still be sellers?  Also, another thing I was trying to get into people's skulls is that if the Devils make it to 93 points, it won't matter what the other teams do.  The fact we would have to jump over teams, and games in hand becomes irrelevant.

I actually agree that 16-8-1 is not setting the world on fire, and it would give the team a great chance of making the playoffs. But my questions remains the same. What makes you believe this is possible? If it's pure fandom that more power to you. Feel free to check my posts, I'm not a devils doubter, and I want the team to find as much success as possible - I'll cheer them on until the last day. I just want to make sure that we all realize what a monumential effort it will take from the current squad to win 2 of 3 (or better) for the rest of the year. As I mentioned before in this thread, I hope they prove me wrong. But I'm not totally convinved that people on this board truly understand what playing nearly .700 hockey is.

The Islanders.  The Panthers.  Toronto traded for a guy who they thought could be a starting goalie, so maybe throw them into the mix.

The idea that this deal 'fell into Lou's lap' is ridiculous - you know how I know it's ridiculous?  I don't remember reading ANYONE thinking this was a possibility.  It's an enormous trade - both what it suggested about Lou's faith in the team in the future (high) and what he felt about Brodeur (not high).

He wasn't going to the Oilers under any circumstances. Not to the Islanders. Same with the Panthers. If those teams seriously wanted CS they had more assets in which to deal from. Florida had the 2nd overall draft pick. Toronto traded for Bernier when Luongo was the frontrunner to be traded, albeit a week or so before CS was the one shipped out. Who knows? Maybe Toronto preferred Bernier over CS? Why didn't the Flyers deal for him while we're at it? 

Because you don't read about it on the internet before it happens, it's ridiculous? You don't remember reading about it for two very possible reasons. 1) Luongo was the one clearly on the move by June and the focus was on him. 2) You know Lamoriello. We all do. None of Lou's business ever reaches the media. But, besides all that, if Luongo had one foot already out the door, why would CS be mentioned at all going anywhere by anyone who knows anything, let alone to the Devils? 

Look, no one is saying this trade wasn't a coup, wasn't enormous and wasn't a steal. This trade was like Christmas morning. Lou isn't the only GM, HOF or not, that has a player fall into his lap for any number of reasons. 

Edited by TheRedStorm
  • Like 1