Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rough one for Zack.  And I understand your skepticism regarding him nmig.  We've been over it before...definitely looked good at times last season, but also definitely benefitted from tremendous good fortune. 

The constant laboring continues to be a concern. 

And yes, the lineup is bad.  The best hitter isn't the kind of guy you build a lineup around, and there's holes and easy outs seemingly everywhere else. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Rough one for Zack.  And I understand your skepticism regarding him nmig.  We've been over it before...definitely looked good at times last season, but also definitely benefitted from tremendous good fortune. 

The constant laboring continues to be a concern. 

He did finish with 18 swinging strikes, which is ridiculous (in a good way), and through 2 starts, he's walked just two batters and whiffed 12 in 11 innings. The results haven't been pretty and this is all putting way too much into small sample sizes, but the peripherals could be worse than they are.

Syndergaard on the mound tonight. Gave up a run in the 1st. Really fighting his control.

Edited by nmigliore

Ha.

Like I said Friday, this whole situation is such a mess, and they brought it upon themselves by doing absolutely nothing to address it all winter. Forget about bringing in an actual 1B to displace either Ike or Duda -- they didn't even have the guts to jettison one player because Heaven forbid the guy they gave up has an Adam LaRoche career. This situation isn't going to end until Sandy puts a stop to it; otherwise it's going to be a constant back-and-forth based on how the "starter" does for a series or two. 

Syndergaard really struggled tonight: 5 IP, 6 hits, 3 ER, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts. 

It is what it is; he's going to go through some growing pains. As much as everyone was raving about him this spring, it was easy to forget he hadn't ever pitched in AAA and needed to get better vs lefties.

Edited by nmigliore

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/84033/duda-1b-audition-appears-over?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Haha I was wondering how long it would take to end the 'Duda as the guy' nonsense.  Now how long will it take before Ike's latest Spring cold streak?

And so it goes with Duda.  NEVER EVER does anything with his chances.  The guy sucks.  Everyone but Sandy knows what you get with Duda:  occasional home runs, decent OB%, and a lot of strikeouts.  You just knew there was no way in hell he wasn't striking out against Kimbrel last night. 

Re:  Wheeler...of course it's a teeny sample size.  Even if he didn't have a great year this season, would I be giving up on him?  Of course not.  What we're seeing is that he's not going to take the league by storm...he's going to have to develop, and it may take a while.  But so far, we know what the weakness are:  gives up his fair share of hits (105 in 111 IP so far), and gives up a lot of walks (and often throws a lot of pitches even when he doesn't).  Has also allowed 12 HRs. 

Re:  Syndergaard...yeah, ups and downs to be expected.  We'll see where they are by June.     

What chance did Duda even have this time? 16 AB? :lol:

I don't really care who they choose. I prefer Ike by a teeny bit, but both more than likely suck. Just pick one, and if Sandy doesn't have the balls to make a trade, send the other to Vegas and give the chosen one AT LEAST 150 PA without having to constantly look over his shoulder. But deciding Duda isn't the answer after a whopping 16 AB is so ridiculous it's not even funny.  

Edited by nmigliore

What chance did Duda even have this time? 16 AB? :lol:

I don't really care who they choose. I prefer Ike by a teeny bit, but both more than likely suck. Just pick one, and if Sandy doesn't have the balls to make a trade, send the other to Vegas and give the chosen one AT LEAST 150 PA without having to constantly look over his shoulder. But deciding Duda isn't the answer after a whopping 16 AB is so ridiculous it's not even funny.  

I can't really disagree with you nmig...I just don't like Duda (big suprise, right?) and don't think he's ever going to amount to anything...I don't think 100-150 PA would do anything to dispell that.  But yeah, Amateur Terry/Passive/the Mets look collectively silly giving up on Doofus that quickly (even if I'm behind it) after proclaiming he was going to get an extended look. 

I can't really disagree with you nmig...I just don't like Duda (big suprise, right?) and don't think he's ever going to amount to anything...I don't think 100-150 PA would do anything to dispell that.  But yeah, Amateur Terry/Passive/the Mets look collectively silly giving up on Doofus that quickly (even if I'm behind it) after proclaiming he was going to get an extended look. 

Yep that's exactly my point. I fully understand you're not a fan of his, but clearly the Mets still see some hope there.... yet they are content with keeping Ike on the roster (despite the fact he's nothing more than a pinch-hitter off the bench) and calling the Duda experiment over after literally 4 games in which he started. How does that make any sense?

This is why I keep saying they need to just commit to one and dump the other. A trade, Las Vegas, whatever. This constant flip-flopping is doing no good for anyone involved. How are you supposed to find an answer when you're playing the hot/cold card every series or two?

Edited by nmigliore

Can't argue any of the above either.  Pick one (REALLY pick one) and be done with it.  What's scary is that the Mets still see hope in Duda (I don't see how).  Based off what Ike's done since his recall, I'd just go with him...I don't kid myself, he could fail spectacularly.  Whoever the first baseman of the future is for the Mets, I feel pretty confident in saying that he's not currently on the team. 

This would be hilarious if it wasn't so annoying.

Again...it will be a wonderful day when this team gets a real manager. 

Big change from Valverde from the previous night (and previous outings). He had been near-100% fastballs. Tonight? 7 pitches, 4 splitters. Good to see him mix it up. The splitters he threw to Pena and Gattis completely fooled them and produced pop-ups and he baffled Heyward with one on 0-1.

Farnsworth hit 96 tonight. Amazed this is the same guy who was sitting in the low/mid-80's early in spring training. 

Edited by nmigliore

Mejia's final numbers tonight don't look good but I'm still impressed with his stuff. 15 swinging strikes, 11 of which came on his cutter, which also had better velocity than it did Friday night. As long as he keeps missing bats and getting groundballs, you can live with below average control. Obviously he's going to have to stop walking nearly a batter per inning but just simply regressing to his career walk rate of 9.6% (3.87 per 9) would be sufficient. 

Edited by nmigliore

EY is now 7 for his last 19 in the past 5 games, which is bad.  That means he's probably bought himself at least another month of relevancy, maybe more. 

Last night's offensive "outburst" (9 hits as the Mets batted .250 as a team) raised the Met team batting average to .198 and the team OB% to .273.  Gary and Ron talked about how Sandy likes players who get on base a lot, and how it's an organizational mantra.  Would've been nice if they wondered aloud why Sandy never seems to bring in players who actually show that ability. 

re:  Mejia...the walks are worrisome, in spite of some other numbers looking good.  His major-league walk rate is no real benchmark, because it's all based on small, almost random samples.  Last year is the one that's starting to look flukey (and it's also the stretch that brought his major-league walk rate down to 3.87 in the first place), in terms of him having good control.  I know sabes guys tend to love Ks over everything else, but I like guys who throw strikes and don't labor.  Five innings of four-run and four-BB ball isn't really much to get excited over.  It's only two starts, so I'm not worried yet.  It was important for Mejia to get this chance and not get hurt, and so far, so good. 

Anytime this team can take two out of three at Turner, you have to be thrilled with it.  '7' is right about the Braves, at least right now...the Mets have scored 34 runs in 9 games, and it feels like they struggle to score.  Atlanta has scored 23 runs in their 9 games.  Yikes.

And I'm sorry, Gary and Ron are 100% right...why the hell wasn't this an afternoon game, with the Mets having to go to Anaheim?  Ridiculous.   

The good news for Mejia is strikeout and groundball rates stabilize much quicker than walk rate. 

re: Atlanta -- It's not just you guys. BJ Upton and Dan Uggla are such sinkholes in that lineup. Uggla will be replaced by promising 2B (and NJ native) Tommy La Stella at some point but they're stuck with BJ and his bloated contract. Atlanta has gotten great pitching so far but that's really where they could get burned with the injuries to Medlen, Beachy, Minor, Floyd, Venters, etc.

The Steamer/ZiPS combo projection over at Fangraphs only see Atlanta as an 83 win team (this includes season-to-date). PECOTA (Baseball Prospectus) says 82 wins. Washington is by far the class of the division and their hot start (7-2) with the Braves' mediocre one (5-4) only widens the gap. In fact, the Nats' division title odds (78.8%) are the best in MLB by more than 10%. We already knew this before the season, but the NL East is really weak this year.

Edited by nmigliore

Oh BTW...in case anyone here hasn't heard it yet:

Lucas will now start three out of every four games, with Satin or Davis getting that "fourth" game.  Which to me translates to:  if Duda goes 1-for-11 with 5 K in three games (highly possible) and Davis or Satin has a 3-for-4 day with some RBI, then one of those guys will become the 3-out-of-4 guy.

To EVERYONE'S credit on SNY, they all ripped this as being completely absurd, and none of them can believe this is the situation. 

In a perfect world we trade BOTH Duda and Ike were traded in the offseason (for relief pitching, however sketchy the return may have been) and just signed Jose Abreu...if only.

gun to my head if I had to pick one it would probably be Ike. Trade Duda to Pittsburgh for Nick Kingham

Edited by '7'