Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Sandy can go fvck himself...he's been mostly awful since taking the GM job and at times has been arrogant and patronizing to boot, not to mention lazy.

Terry needs to go...no, a new manager probably makes no difference, but he was never going to be the long-term guy here anyway.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who would've thunk it. Mets actually touch up Darvish a bit, and get a win. Duda with a homer run and finally a big hit outta d'Arnaud. Best approach that I've seen from him in a long time as he put a good (not one of his maniacal hacker) swing on an outside pitch and went with it the other way into the gap.

Niese got struck in the back with a liner but x-rays came up negative.

Campbell btw is an unmitigated disaster at 3rd, but a pretty competent hitter

btw Matt Reynolds is seeing time at 2b now in Vegas. Now hitting .400 in 50 ab's. Wonder if that's a sign of things to come with Murphy.

Well at least d'Arnaud homered and it was a beautiful night at the stadium.

Sounds like Niese is going to the DL and NOT from the liner he took last night, but instead another shoulder issue. Ugh. Given his history and velocity trends, can't say this is a shock. Really unfortunate timing given how Niese was pitching and the trade deadline looming (I don't think he would've been moved, but you never know; he is/was one of the best, maybe the best, "sell" chips the Mets have).

Edited by nmigliore

Same old sh!t with Niese.  I'm done with him.  Sounds crazy, because the guy clearly has ability, but part of being a reliable starting pitcher is being able to take your damned turn every fifth day, and his year-by-year IP numbers are a joke.  He simply can't be relied on to remain healthy, and if the Mets are serious about contending, they need to start getting some arms that actually have a chance to crack a whopping 200 IP in any given season.  Niese has shown he can't handle a major-league starter's workload without wearing or breaking down at some point during the season, and frankly I'm sick of it.  Lefty or not, young or not, I'm ready to move on from him. 

Murphy selected to the All Star Game as a reserve. Not that anybody cares about that game anyway, but I do like the Twins ballpark. It does have a nice night atmosphere for games.

Collins yammering on about how big a series this is against Atlanta. Right Terry...the Brave are about to throw their gloves on the field and beat us 4 straight.

Glad that Wright gets the ASG off. Rest up that shoulder some more. Seems like he's lost all his power.

Edited by '7'

Congrats to Murphy. He's worked his butt off to find a position on the diamond that agrees with him, and although he'll never be mistaken for a great defender, he's turned himself into a really solid player and he's easily been the Mets' best position player this year. Well deserved. 

Edited by nmigliore

Murphy selected to the All Star Game as a reserve. Not that anybody cares about that game anyway, but I do like the Twins ballpark. It does have a nice night atmosphere for games.

Collins yammering on about how big a series this is against Atlanta. Right Terry...the Brave are about to throw their gloves on the field and beat us 4 straight.

Glad that Wright gets the ASG off. Rest up that shoulder some more. Seems like he's lost all his power.

Meh, Terry has to say that.  He can't very well say what we all already know.  The best thing that can happen is the Mets losing 3 or more, because then Sandy (if he's awake) can explore moving guys like Colon and move on 100% from thinking the Mets still have a chance.  If Colon is terrific in his next start, I would get the ball rolling on that one immediately. 

Syndergaard was terrific tonight: 7 IP, 6 hits, 1 run, 0 BB, 8 K. Great to see, let's hope he keeps it up. 

Man did he need that in a big way. 

Darin Gorski has been pretty good in his last five starts:  ERA of 2.57 in those games, 29 K in 28 IP.  He'll be 27 in October, so I wouldn't mind seeing him get a September call-up, just to see if he can get major-league hitters out. 

Plawecki isn't exactly lighting it up in AAA so far:  .200 BA, .294 OB%, .333 SLG, .627 OB+SLG.  It's only 10 games, but the Plawecki Express has slowed a bit for now. 

Re:  Murph, his value might not be any higher than it is right now.  It's a tough call...I'd only trade him if he fetches a decent return.  I have a feeling teams are going to try to get him on the cheap.

Couple of midseason Top 50 prospect lists from Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus came out this morning. Three Mets made the BA list: Syndergaard at #19, Plawecki at #40, and Nimmo at #48. Two Mets made the BP list: Syndergaard at #9 (which is actually UP from his preseason #11 rank) and Nimmo at #45. 

Edited by nmigliore

Yankees made a deal for Brandon McCarthy...numbers are pretty bad, though if you're a believer in FIP, then maybe you have hope for him...his ERA last year was 4.53, his FIP 3.75; his ERA this season is 5.01 and his FIP is 3.79.

But his "traditional" stats over the past couple of seasons are hard on the eyes:

40 starts, 244.2 IP, 292 H (ouch), 129 ER, 28 HR, 41 BB (7 intentional), 169 K, 4.75 ERA, 8-21 record

I've often thought Colon could help the Yankees, but I can't help but wonder if Yankee Stadium would eat him alive.  He hasn't put up terribly good numbers in New Yankee Stadium for his career (5.04 ERA, 14 HR allowed in 84.0 IP there), and he got bombed there earlier this season.  Unfortunately, Colon is probably not going to fetch the kind of return we're hoping for, unless he gets really hot again...but right now, here's what GMs will see: 

CitiField ERA:  2.72 ERA, .259 BABIP (well below league average, usually about .300).  All of his pitching numbers are considerably better at home.

Away ERA:  5.06, .310 BABIP (not much higher than league average).  Four bad starts have hurt his road numbers (six out of ten road starts have actually been quite good), but I'm guessing GMs will take the whole sample into account.

Basically, right now he's looking like a CitiField wonder who pitched into some good luck in his home ballpark and may be due for some regression...which may either turn some GMs off or make them not offer much to get him.  The age, weight and second year on the contract don't help either.  I'm starting to think he might still be here come Aug 1.     

Couple of midseason Top 50 prospect lists from Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus came out this morning. Three Mets made the BA list: Syndergaard at #19, Plawecki at #40, and Nimmo at #48. Two Mets made the BP list: Syndergaard at #9 (which is actually UP from his preseason #11 rank) and Nimmo at #45. 

hmmm. Interesting no Montero. Or has he "graduated" in their minds since he pitched major league innings this year

hmmm. Interesting no Montero. Or has he "graduated" in their minds since he pitched major league innings this year

Just not good enough, I'm sure. He was #65 in BA's preseason list and didn't even make BP's preseason list. If he sustained his AAA success from last season he probably would've made BA's list but he's gone backwards a bit at that level.

Edited by nmigliore

d'Arnaud is really racking up the Ks.  9 of them in his last 6 games.  Makes me wonder how long he keeps up his "hot" streak. 

And of course the Braves tie it up.  Of fvcking course.  Small-time bunch of zilches.

And now the Braves take the lead.  lolololololololololololololol

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

The Wilpon Touch.  God I wish Freddy and Jeffy would just go poison something else.  fvcking hate them.

Selig deserves some of the blame as well. He's close to Fredo and he left the team in his clutches. Any other owner (especially one tainted by Madoff) may have been muscled out of baseball.

Plus, how bad for business is it to have a New York team flounder like this for so long? We stink, the Yankees are middling and will likely miss the playoffs again, the Sox just won the WS but are below average this year. The Phils are somehow worse than us. Cubs stink (for now) White Sox are nobodies. No wonder baseball has so little juice this year.

Edited by '7'

Can't believe they tied it up. 

I'm still convinced Atlanta will win it in some knife in the heart fashion. Big picture though this game means little...except for the fact Dice-K pitched really well (well he pitched his usual Dice-K game worming in and out of trouble)

We will be able to get something for Dice-K at the deadline. It won't be much...but considering he was taken off the absolute steaming hot trash heap, that's pretty remarkable.

Right now I feel like nmig did not too long ago.  That there's just no hope. 

Wright striking out in a big spot...same old David.  Oh well, maybe he'll finish the season with 10 home runs.

I'm still convinced Atlanta will win it in some knife in the heart fashion. Big picture though this game means little...except for the fact Dice-K pitched really well (well he pitched his usual Dice-K game worming in and out of trouble)

We will be able to get something for Dice-K at the deadline. It won't be much...but considering he was taken off the absolute steaming hot trash heap, that's pretty remarkable.

I think the BB and general inconsistency will scare most GMs off.  I can't see anyone being interested in him as anything more than depth (which means nothing worthwhile is coming back).  But yeah, Mets have gotten more out of him than we could've expected in our wildest dreams. 

And sure, it's not great for baseball when the NY teams aren't good, but at the same time I would never want to see them propped up just because they play in NY.   

As long as they don't spend the money there is no hope. I mean we have to roll absolute aces on everything in house (Harvey being the old Harvey, Noah being great, d'Arnaud, Nimmo etc) avoid the injury bug, hope a team like Washington falls off, avoid another Chris Young, find another manager...just too much to do without having a chunk of money to spend and easily patch up some holes.

Mets flat out bought Beltran and Pedro to claw back to respectability. They pretty much bought Delgado too (salary dump trade) and they bought Wagner and a few other guys to pair with Wright and Reyes. That's how you do a quick fix. They can't do that anymore.

Edited by '7'

He reminds me of the early Glen Sather era for the Rags.

How so?  Sather was always pretty uncreative and went for the obvious high-priced free-agents...that's always been his MO. 

Sandy and his crew just always seem to make the wrong moves.  What ticks me off about this past season was how lazy Sandy's approach was.  Minimal research done.  He GMed like a guy who wasn't even trying.  I think Sather is lazy in a different way, in that so often he just sees a big name (whether he's still good or not...see Wade Redden) and throws money at him.  

Don't look now, but the Mets actually had something go in their favor.  If bad-team-ballplayer Duda actually does something here (does he ever get it done in a spot like this?), then it's truly Bizarro-World tonight.

Funny how Duda never hits a home run in these spots.  Typical Doofus.

Mets get a gift to get 2 on nobody out in the bottom of the 9th and proceed to sh!t all over it...after loading the bases of course. Campbell was stuck in no mans land but he broke the wrong way as Simmonds dropped it. Of course simmons recovers to make a perfect throw to 3rd. Had it been a met they still would be kicking that ball around the infield

Let's have Freeman put it in the pepsi porch and end this alredy

Regarding Sather/Sandy...it's more the feeling that they're on their retirement job and just going about things half assed

With Sather he had tons of money to work with but wasted it on bust free agents. But quietly behind the scenes he was building some formidable young talent, took a while to materialize but he's still going on 15 years now with 1 finals appearance and 0 cups. Sandy has been bad as talent evaluator in regards to bringing in under the radar "value" guys...remains to be seen what his young guys turn into.

bottom line is that they both had impressive pedigrees and have underperformed.

Edited by '7'