Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Syndergaard getting hit hard tonight. 6 hits and 5 earned runs in just 2 innings so far. Argh.

Syndergaard has a 7.17 ERA in his last 10 starts (47 IP).  That being said, his K-to-BB ratio has still been good (51-to-11), and he's still getting his strikeouts.  He's also given up seven home runs...can't help but wonder if some of those are PCL-induced.  And for whatever it's worth (I don't make that big a deal out of FIP), though he had an ERA of 5.31 going into last night's start, his FIP was only 3.97, in a hitter's league.    

It's very much a double-edged sword...unless he really REALLY derails, I hope he gets a September call-up and succeeds (even if the current numbers don't scream "ready for the majors"), because I think he needs to get out of the PCL ASAP.  It's got to be an incredibly frustrating place to pitch, especially when you're trying to build up confidence on your way up to the majors.  It must be such a relief for these guys when they get to CitiField.   

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I really think he'd be better off learning in the MLB rotation than he would Vegas. The K% and BB% are both good indicators that his struggles are largely not his doing. The PCL is just an awful, awful place; I can't wait until the Mets get out of there.

Yeah, I really think he'd be better off learning in the MLB rotation than he would Vegas. The K% and BB% are both good indicators that his struggles are largely not his doing. The PCL is just an awful, awful place; I can't wait until the Mets get out of there.

Agree with all of the above.  PCL damned near makes evaluating pitchers AND hitters very difficult by the numbers...I too can't wait for the Mets to find themselves a "normal" AAA setting. 

What is it about the PCL that makes things so skewed?  Are all the games played at altitude or something?

Yeah, a lot of high-altitude/thin air/desert games.   

Besides the annoying environmental factors that skew the numbers it's also awful if you follow minor league boxes like I do every night. I can pretty much never follow a full game since Vegas routinely starts at 10pm ET for night games. I used to be an annual subscriber for MiLB.tv but the timezone difference and horrible camera angle Vegas uses made it useless. It must also be a pain for a team on the east coast as it's far less convenient to bring up players from AAA on short notice. 

It's really unfortunate Buffalo didn't work out, that was really a great spot for everything. I'll just settle for getting back into the International League at this point.

Edited by nmigliore

Nice to see the Mets win when Murph and Wright combine to go 0-for-9 and Colon turns in another bad start.  Looking more and more like the Mets are going to be stuck with Bartolo after the deadline unless they're willing to eat a big chunk of his remaining dollars. 

I think we're all kind of waiting for d'Arnaud to disappear at the plate again, but in 17 GP since coming back, he's not only hit .318, but he's also done it with some oomph...5 2B hits and 3 HR, and 12 RBI as well.  Only two 0-fers in that time...he's been pretty steady.  He's doing everything he possibly can to hold off Plawecki, though it really remains to be seen if Plawecki's future in the majors is as a catcher.  Plaw has been hitting again after a slow start in Vegas...he's 9 for his last 24 and has his average up to .234.

Herrera's BA is now up to .350 in AA and he's on a six-game hitting streak where he's 11-for-24 with 4 2B hits and a HR, with 9 RBI.  I'm not sure what the Met timetable is with him (Herrera seems to be doing everything he can to speed it up), but if the Mets decide to commit to Murph long term, is it possible Herrera moves to short?

Speaking of AA, check out lefty Jack Leathersich's (just turned 24) numbers in his last seven appearances:  9 IP, 2 H, 2 BB, 15 K.  He now has 70 K in 39.2 IP for Binghamton this season.  He had a miserable time in AAA last season (gave up a ton of walks AND hits)...he could be one of those guys that might be better off simply going straight to the majors from AA.  Curious if he gets a September call-up...he's shown two seasons in a row that AA isn't much of a challenge for him...in 69 IP there he's allowed 48 hits and struck out 125. 

And I didn't even know it, but Montero is making rehab starts and working his way back to Vegas...he made a 2-inning start for the rookie league, and then on July 14 went four innings for St. Lucie (A+ ball).  Crazy year for Montero...he's pitched in rookie, A+, AAA, and the majors this season.  Just hope he stays healthy and finds his control again.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I doubt it, re: Herrera/SS - reports say he doesn't have the arm strength to play on the left side.

Of course I would never put anything past the Mets considering the Flores experiment.

Edited by nmigliore

They need to sweep this series if they have any delusions of doing anything (I think they actually DO have such delusions). 

They need to sweep this series if they have any delusions of doing anything (I think they actually DO have such delusions). 

Just not our night. For some reason Gee is making this POS team look like the 27 Yankees...and we ran into a guy looking unhittable. Can't really get on them though since they were on a 9-2 run heading into this. These games happen

Just not our night. For some reason Gee is making this POS team look like the 27 Yankees...and we ran into a guy looking unhittable. Can't really get on them though since they were on a 9-2 run heading into this. These games happen

Very true.  It just means the Mets are going to have to win at least one more game against the Mariners or Brewers.  Sweeping the Padres would've made life easier for them. 

Of course, none of this really means much...I'm looking at the this from the Mets' point of view.  They think they're still in it (I don't).  They're five games under .500.  They have to start winning a hell of a lot if they really believe they've got a shot...probably at a .670ish clip, which means you've got to get it done against teams like the Padres.  

I think if this team finishes .500 or above, that's a much more realistic goal, and it would represent a step forward.  That's all I was really hoping for when the season began. 

Good to see Abreu is still as much of a p**sy as he's always been.  What a joke that play was.  If I'm Wheeler I'm furious.

And Murph's numbers are sinking back into bad-team ballplayer (or AL seventh or ninth-place on a contender) territory.  Oh well, that All-Star appearance was fun while it lasted. 

And as much as I'm glad d'Arnaud's been hitting since coming back, man does he suck behind the plate at times.  His D can be maddening, especially for a guy who's supposed to be a top catching prospect.

No way anyone expected Tejada to come through in that spot. 

4th straight pretty good start for Wheeler.  The BB on his record was intentional and Abreu pulling a Roger Dorn led Wheeler to allow one more hit than he should have. 

Last four starts:  25.1 IP, 23 H, 4 ER, 10 BB, 22 K.  Not like the numbers scream domination, but at least he's not allowing runs, and finding a level of consistency. 

Haven't seen the game, figures a guy with nearly as many walks as strikeouts this season is no-hitting them. 

Oh well, at least Wheeler was apparently quite good based on his stat line. 

Mediocre return to AAA for Montero: 4 innings (was presumably on a pitch count), 1 ER, 3 BB, 3 K. Plawecki has been curiously absent for a few days.

Edited by nmigliore

That ball girl down the RF line.... damn.

Yeah, she's pretty ridiculous.  Great glove.

Kooky DP there, but did the job.