Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SSDD.  I especially liked the AB by David where he watched three pitches go right down the middle.  Guy is a good player but is so overrated.  Can he hit a friggin' home run once in a while?  He's on pace for 11 now.  At least he's drawing 8 BB in his last 8 GP...looks like he's starting to lay off the crappier pitches. 

Ruben Tejada has a .348 OB%.  He's not the long-term answer at short, not by a country mile, but I would've happily taken .348 from him coming into the season. 

I think a lot of Tejadas high OBP is inflated by the fact that he gets walked in front of the pitcher a lot

And yes another infuriating Wright clutch ab. The pitch he struck out on is technically in his wheelhouse. Over the plate but a little bit low and inside. Actually a good pitch to pull over the left field fence

Edited by '7'

I think a lot of Tejadas high OBP is inflated by the fact that he gets walked in front of the pitcher a lot

And yes another infuriating Wright clutch ab. The pitch he struck out on is technically in his wheelhouse. Over the plate but a little bit low and inside. Actually a good pitch to pull over the left field fence

Five intentional BB for Tejada.  Yeah, some inflation there, but the 8th-place hitter is always going to benefit from some of that.  He's still drawn 19 BB on his own.  Trust me, he's still not any good at the plate (even with the 2 recent dingers), but he's basically less bad than I thought he'd be to date.   

d'Arnaud is really atrocious. Huge opportunity in the 4th, bases loaded 2 out. Swings at the first pitch and a lazy pop up to center. He's in the 180's batting average wise and you can't carry a catcher with that bad a stick, even if he's a great defensive catcher. It's really time to send him down. Juan Centeno could do better

Yeah, pretty awful series. 

Re:  d'Arnaud...where do you draw the line?  What sucks is going to a place like Vegas in the league of bloated hitting numbers makes it hard to get an accurate read on where a hitter truly is.  Would it surprise me if d'Arnaud went back there and hit .380 over the next two weeks, leading the Mets to proclaim that d'Arnaud is "cured"?  No.  Would it then surprise me if he came back up and promptly went back to being a guy struggling to hit .200?  Again, no.  As much as I'd like to say "Keep sending him out there and let him keep facing major-league pitching", I don't know how long this can continue.  He's now a career .192 hitter in 224 AB, and he's not showing any signs of growth or improvement at all.  He's not even looking that great defensively.  And yeah, the Mets have enough easy outs in the lineup right now, especially if Granderson and CY are going to keep playing every day.

One good thing about Wright continually failing in big spots is that hopefully Passive & Co. are finally getting the message re:  what Wright truly is at the point, and will stop expecting more out of him than what he's capable of producing.     

Some sh!t you just can't make up:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/88436/top-prospect-syndergaard-injured-at-vegas

At least it's not his throwing arm.

Yea. Looks like the xrays checked out OK with Syndergaard. Sprain of a non throwing shoulder. Should be A-OK soon

Not really following much of this game but it looks like Niese's velocity is down. hmm. Not a good sign. Slow gun maybe? Unusually cold weather? (it's in the 50's)

And of course a 2 out walk followed by a ball that d'Arsuck really should've smothered allowed the runner to get to 2nd. And then a 2 out base hit up the middle ties the game

get d'Arnaud off this franchise please

David F'n Wright. 4-1 bottom 6th, man on 1st...makes a nice fielding play an just an awful lazy throw wide of the bag to murphy. Now San Fran loads the bases and a 2 run single by Pagan makes it 4-3

Wright has been atrocious lately

And another choke job. Pagan strikes out to start the 9th, but Recker makes a bad throw to 1st...Pagan then scores on a Pence double, Pence then is moved to 3rd and scores on the game winning double by Morse. Just a bunch of scared chokers.

Yeah, no disputing it, Wright's been pretty awful over his last 13 games.  He's 9 for his last 55 (.164).  And since May 14, he's driven in a whopping seven runs.  

Same old sh!t with Wright.  I know he's supposed to the be the "Face of the Mets", but the problem is that face isn't one of a winner.  Like I've said, Wright's not a guy who finds a way to do his thing when everyone else is floundering; Wright often flounders right along with them.  Mets should really think about trading him (as long as it's not a total fleece-job...Wright does have value, especially since his contract isn't insane).   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

D'Arnaud demoted, Teagarden promoted from Vegas.  Hopefully this is a wakeup call but he just might not be that good.

Probably too early to worry about the "B" word, but suffice it to say that the early track record is a little scary...at the very least, it's clear we're going to have to alter our expectations, especially concerning d'Arnaud's development timetable.  That being said, if there's anywhere that can help a hitter find confidence, it's Vegas.

Wright is just exasperated and frustrated. I'm still leaning no in regards to trading him, but I'm more open to it now than I've ever been. Wright is on a team friendly contract...but it's still a big contract, so trading him gives us more financial flexibility in the offseason. The return for Wright is going to be good. We're going to be getting back a very good young hitting prospect as well as a good pitching prospect. Plus you gotta figure Colon will be gone at the deadline or sooner, so there is another influx of a prospect or two. So then we can maybe take a serious look at dealing one of Niese or Gee for a bat. Or flipping a Montero for a bat.

A Wright trade gives us the opportunity to change the face of the franchise. And maybe that's needed

The Red Sox could be a good trading partner if we want to unload Wright. For example, Wright to Boston for Garin Cecchini, a pitching prospect and Daniel Nava (and we can kick them Chris Young if they want)

DW is just exasperated at this point. An even when he's going good he usually fails in the big spot

Seriously, why even bring him in at that point?  David's not exactly known for his mental toughness.  Give him a full day off and let him clear his head.  Now he's got yet another failure on his mind.  

Where's nmig when you need him...he could probably find a way to spin this into David's really been awesome, we're just all looking at the wrong numbers.

Hey David, did you see that?  It's called a CLUTCH HIT!  Take note.

They lose against the worst teams and the best teams at least...at least they're consistent.

Fire Terry.  I don't care whether it's all his fault or not.  I know they seem to try for him, but enough is enough.  The guy isn't a real manager and was only brought here to be a caretaker anyway.  He's not the guy who was ever going to lead this team into the promised land.  It's time for a shakeup.  If anything, maybe these unclutch zilches actually look themselves in the mirror. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I feel bad for terry but yes it's probably time to go. And nobody we bring in is going to make much of a dent either. Just a new voice to preside over a bottom 5 payroll. Awful talent and the most unclutch choke artists in baseball since 2007 (which the franchise still hasn't gotten over)

but Terry is just gone nuts with some of his decisions. He's losing his mind. I don't blame him. The team will do that to you

Chris Young should be outright cut, yet every day he's batting 5th. Lucas Duda today decides to swing with 1st and 2nd and 0 out on a 3-0 Pitch and hits into a DP. Wright can't throw the ball to 2nd yesterday. Then Recker can't throw it to first with all the time in the world in the 9th. Then the constant missed RISP opportunities and unclutch AB's late. They're the worst team in baseball with the bases loaded and have the worst slugging percentage in baseball

Look at the crap we're running out there. Eric Campbell K's on a pitch 12 feet outside. Tejada can't catch up with 90mph BP fastballs. Flores ends the game by missing an 89mph fastball down the middle

Edited by '7'

nmig hasn't been around in a few weeks...the Mets probably broke him too :(  He still posts on the Mets board I sometimes frequent (NYFS) but he hasn't posted in the main forum there in a while too (still posted a few times during the draft in the prospects forum though, so he hasn't been abducted or anything) 

I may finally make myself go to a game this week but that's mostly cause I have the week off.  That'll probably be it for me this year sadly as far as going to games.

nmig hasn't been around in a few weeks...the Mets probably broke him too :(  He still posts on the Mets board I sometimes frequent (NYFS) but he hasn't posted in the main forum there in a while too (still posted a few times during the draft in the prospects forum though, so he hasn't been abducted or anything) 

I may finally make myself go to a game this week but that's mostly cause I have the week off.  That'll probably be it for me this year sadly as far as going to games.

oh really. I just started posting there (chud)

honestly on stubhub you can prob get like, seats behind home plate for $50 this week. It'll be a ghost town, take advantage of it

Yeah but watch out, that place the mods can get uptight over the stupidest things.  I once got banned just for using the term buttbuddy (referring to Tony B and Omar).  Not suspended or post deleted, banned.  Other than that it's okay...it is prospect-centric though, you have your faction of posters that want to play every young guy in creation and not sign any FA's.