Lots to mull for Devils’ legend Brodeur - Brooks NY Post

msweet

It is becoming increasingly clear Martin Brodeur will finish his NHL career someplace other than New Jersey if he wishes to play next season, but not so clear at all where the all-time goaltender will finish this season.

Brodeur is expected to ponder his options during the winter recess, to consider whether requesting a trade would be mutually beneficial for him and the Devils, who have their noses pressed against the outside of the playoff window and are in severe danger of missing the tournament for the third time in the past four seasons.

After 20 seasons, the Devils’ net belongs to someone else. No one ever had a longer run as a club’s No. 1 than Brodeur — not Frank Brimsek, not Turk Broda, not Jacques Plante, not Glenn Hall, not Tony Esposito, not Dominik Hasek, not Patrick Roy, and not even close.

http://nypost.com/2014/02/08/lots-to-mull-for-devils-legend-brodeur/

Brooks wrote something about nothing being able to tarnish Marty's career at this point, and I agree 100% with that.  If Marty wants to go play somewhere else to what will amount to not much more than a cup of coffee compared to what he did here, that's fine.  682 Devil victories.  Damned near 300 more than the next highest win total for a goalie with one team.  I can live with him winning another 10 or so with someone else.   

If the Devils did trade Marty, they'd have to go out and get a backup.  Kinkaid (who is kind of iffy to begin with) is hurt, and Wedge is not ready. 

• Like 1

I'm sure some GM's may value Brodeur because of his name and experience despite his current ability. Trying to figure out what potential playoff teams may be open to having him as a back up (that the Devils would trade with). This is what I came up with:

Tampa Bay: Bishop is having an insane year with a heavy workload. Lindback has been pretty terrible as a back up - 3.23 GAA, .880 SV%, -15.23 GSAA in 18 games so you could make the case Brodeur would be an upgrade over Lindback.

San Jose: Niemi's having a decent enough year as the starter and of course knows what it takes to win the SC. The back up Alex Stalock is having a solid year in 16 games -  1.67, .938 SV%, 8.35 GSAA but only has 19 NHL games to his resume. I doubt they'd want Brodeur, but I'm really having trouble coming up with other teams to list as possible destinations.

Minnesota: Harding has been fantastic but his health is obviously an issue unfortunately. Backstrom hasn't had a great year in  his 21 games - 3.02 GAA, .899 SV%, -8.06 GSAA. Darcy Kuemper has been fine when called upon in 15 games but is only 23 and has just 21 NHL games played in his career.

Winnipeg: Montoya has been fine in his 18 games. Pavelec has played 45 games despite being horrendous - 2.97 GAA, .901 SV%, -17.21 GSAA. Brodeur and Pavelec are probably interchangeable at this point.

If he goes somewhere else he'll be a backup. Just do that here instead of turning people against you or retire.

Anybody who would turn against him at this point is simply unappreciative of the balance of his career and being flat-out petty.  I may not think he has much left, but if he thinks he does, and he and Lou decide it's best to move him, and there's a team that believes he can help them on the ice or simply by bringing experience, then he shouldn't be locked into staying here.

Brodeur for Havlat wouldn't be a horrible trade for both teams, where both sides would pick up half of each player's contract.  There's also Brodeur for Heatley, even though Heatley is through

Havlat is signed through next season.  Not sure I'd want him for the 2014-15 season as well. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

if we can get something good for him, i would consider trading him, but not for nothing.

What if... Price injured himself going into the olympic and we trade him to Montreal. (ahaha lol)

Marty Brodeur will always be the best goaltender of all time in my book. It would be weird to see him in another uniform. At the right prize trading him seems logical.

But i hope we dont ship him for nothing.... 

if we can get something good for him, i would consider trading him, but not for nothing.

What if... Price injured himself going into the olympic and we trade him to Montreal. (ahaha lol)

Marty Brodeur will always be the best goaltender of all time in my book. It would be weird to see him in another uniform. At the right prize trading him seems logical.

But i hope we dont ship him for nothing.... 

MTL has Budaj who at this point is better than Marty.

Please, no Minnesota.  I don't want to have to root for them.

But hey, if the guy wants to play, ship him out.  He's been quiet recently so..I can respect it.  I can't blame the guy for wanting to play some more if he thinks he can.

And hey, it'll be nice if it's some other team that has to tell him he's washed up and not the Devils.

I'm sure I'll have an unpopular opinion here, but Lou and Marty reportedly had a long discussion yesterday or today about his future, and I'd welcome for Brodeur to get dealt. If that is what he wants, an opportunity to still play, and some team out there wants to give him that chance...then go for it.

Okay, maybe that wouldn't an unpopular opinion, but this might...It really wouldn't pain me to see him where another uniform either. In some ways it be kind of cool, especially if he got in the zone and played at a somewhat decent level of play. There is no more future for Brodeur in NJ (as an NHL goalie) anymore, but if there is for another organization...let's see it.

While Joe Montana on the Chiefs, Jordan on the Wizards, Emmitt Smith on the Cardinals or Orr on the Blackhawks doesn't seem right and didn't particularly end up well, it in no shape or form tarnish their legacy with the 49ers, Bulls, Cowboys, or Bruins in any way. It was really inconsequential. So would Brodeur going to another team. The idea of Brodeur playing every game of his entire career as a Devil is irrelevant to me. Leaving in 2014 is a lot different than leaving in say 2004 or even 2010.

NOW, why would another team really want Brodeur...I don't see it, but who knows.

Edited by devilsrule33
  • Like 1

I'm sure I'll have an unpopular opinion here, but Lou and Marty reportedly had a long discussion yesterday or today about his future, and I'd welcome for Brodeur to get dealt. If that is what he wants, an opportunity to still play, and some team out there wants to give him that chance...then go for it.

Okay, maybe that wouldn't an unpopular opinion, but this might...It really wouldn't pain me to see him where another uniform either. In some ways it be kind of cool, especially if he got in the zone and played at a somewhat decent level of play. There is no more future for Brodeur in NJ (as an NHL goalie) anymore, but if there is for another organization...let's see it.

While Joe Montana on the Chiefs, Jordan on the Wizards, Emmitt Smith on the Cardinals or Orr on the Blackhawks doesn't seem right and didn't particularly end up well, it in no shape or form tarnish their legacy with the 49ers, Bulls, Cowboys, or Bruins in any way. It was really inconsequential. So would Brodeur going to another team. The idea of Brodeur playing every game of his entire career as a Devil is irrelevant to me. Leaving in 2014 is a lot different than leaving in say 2004 or even 2010.

NOW, why would another team really want Brodeur...I don't see it, but who knows.

I'm not really that attached to him, and if there's a willing trade partner, then I'm all for it. Frankly, a trade might be the best thing, since we'll know for sure that he won't be back next year, and there will be one less headache to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Montana on the Chiefs is a good comparison in the sense that he was essentially forced out for a younger stud in the making (Steve Young), though Montana actually had some good football left.

I'm not particularly excited about seeing Marty in another uniform but it seems inevitable at this point with his own quotes and the other media 'leaks'.  I just hope he goes somewhere where he doesn't have to play the Devils this year, particularly at the Rock.

Montana on the Chiefs is a good comparison in the sense that he was essentially forced out for a younger stud in the making (Steve Young), though Montana actually had some good football left.

I'm not particularly excited about seeing Marty in another uniform but it seems inevitable at this point with his own quotes and the other media 'leaks'.  I just hope he goes somewhere where he doesn't have to play the Devils this year, particularly at the Rock.

I hope he does play us if he goes to another team. We'd get two points for sure.

If playing somewhere else will make Marty happy, then I'm cool with it I guess. It'll be tough to see him wear another sweater though. Marty has BEEN the Devils for my entire teenage and adult life. He's an institution. Seeing him don a Chicago or Minnesota jersey will be a tough pill. But it's his career, his legacy, and his life... If he wants to move on, I wish him nothing but happiness and success wherever he goes.

I don't want him to play for another team. Period. This team is dog sh!t with or without him and id be perfectly fine with him in a real back up role if that's what he wants.

He is in a back-up role now, he just had a meeting with Lou and his agent and you think he wants a back-up role? 

If we had all our picks, better balance in terms of prospects etc I'd be in favor for keeping him. But this team needs to accumulate assets. If you can pry a decent pick, player or prospect from a team in exchange for Marty you have to do it.

No one is going to play him as a starter except maybe the islanders.

He is in a back-up role now, he just had a meeting with Lou and his agent and you think he wants a back-up role?

If we had all our picks, better balance in terms of prospects etc I'd be in favor for keeping him. But this team needs to accumulate assets. If you can pry a decent pick, player or prospect from a team in exchange for Marty you have to do it.

Yeah, if the Devils don't make the playoffs, but Marty's new team does, I would likely root for his team. 

Agree, in that the idea of Marty potentially not playing every single minute of his career as a Devil simply doesn't bother me at all.  These things can't just be looked at in a vacuum.  It's very clearly Cory's job now.  It's probably very difficult for Marty to take, but at the same time, I think he understands WHY.  I also hope he understands and appreciates that the Devils were as fair to him as they could possibly be (and to Marty's credit, he did have some stretches of good play), but that they had to draw the line somewhere. 

As far as why another team would want him...I do believe sometimes GMs make "presence" moves.  From a strictly "on paper" standpoint, I agree, I really don't know why anyone should expect Marty to be anything but what he's been for a while now:  inconsistent...maybe a slight bet to pitch a shutout or have a big game, but a better bet to be anywhere from mediocre to bad.  The funny thing is I'm not really sure his presence would be the best thing.  For one, Marty would clearly expect to play more...if he was OK with not playing much, I'd think he's just stay here...I'm guessing he'd be expecting at least half of the starts on a new team.  For another, I'm not sure if a goalie having a "meh" season who may be prone to self-doubt or confidence issues would benefit by having someone "behind" him who doesn't think of himself as a backup, but as a legitimate candidate to take the job away.

This issue has to be resolved for the team. If another team will take him good.

I think the issue has already been resolved.  Cory is the #1, the team accepts it, and even if Marty isn't necessarily thrilled about the idea, he is not complaining about it or making it a daily distraction in the papers. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

We still have 7 back-to-backs in the final 23 games, with just a single stretch of 3 consecutive days off.  So I expect that we'll need more than 1 keeper. 

and since Albany doesn't seem to have anyone truly ready to step in and help the Devils secure the playoff spot we're chasing, I expect # 30 to remain here and play out his contract.