Why I Could Never Root for this Year's U.S. Olympic team.

Neb00rs

I am sad to say that from the moment I saw the U.S. roster announced, I knew that I could never root for this team of Zach Parises. Keep in mind I have ALWAYS loyally supported U.S. teams in any and every sport. This year, it just was too much. I have listed, just as a reminder, the roster of this team below. 

Dustin Brown - Just plain dirty.

Ryan Callahan - a Ranger

Patrick Kane - do I really have to explain?

Ryan Kesler - ugh

Max 'poor me' Pacioretty 

Zach Parise - douchebag # 1 was already planning on joining his boyfriend Suter in Minnesota when the Devils were still in the playoffs

Ryan Suter - douchebag #2 he needed to play closer to his home, his boyfriend, and his mommy

Derek Stepan - another Ranger

James van Riemsdyk - a former Flyer and current Maple Leaf. Originally a Rangers fan from New Jersey

Paul Martin - ditched the Devils for the Pittsburgh Penguins as soon as the opportunity arose

Ryan McDonagh - yet ANOTHER Ranger

Brooks 'Why am I on this team?' Orpik - 'Oh yeah, thanks Dan Blysma'

Ryan Miller - couldn't help himself from being a sore winner and loser against the Devils and Adam Henrique

Jonathan Quick - as noted in the below article, just an all around a$$hole

Of course, leaving off Bobby Ryan, one of our best scorers, because of politics and omitting Andy Greene and Keith Yandle also proved to be quite bothersome.

Also this article, by a Canadian journalist, does get kind of obnoxious in the second half, but his points on our players are right and reminded me that I wanted to post something like this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/canada-will-win--is-in-every-way-better-than-the-usa-at-hockey-064053898.html

He includes some players I don't even have a problem with but more power to him!:

The American roster is simply dotted with objectively bad people.

Ryan Suter and Zach Parise abandoned the teams that drafted them in an act of despicable collusion and greed, signing twin contracts worth nearly $200 million with the Minnesota Wild. That's nearly more than the gross domestic product of Palau.

Speaking of greed, Derek Stepan held out on the New York Rangers, refusing to join his teammates at training camp until he was paid more millions.

And speaking of the draft, Blake Wheeler refused to sign an entry-level contract with the Phoenix Coyotes, leaving a team that wanted him, and believed he could help them, in the lurch. The Coyotes declared bankruptcy soon after. The city of Glendale, their home, can scarcely afford emergency services any longer. Was this Wheeler's doing? We cannot know for sure.

Max Pacioretty tried to draw a suspension for Zdeno Chara after a collision with a turnbuckle, and once claimed a Toronto Maple Leafs player bit him. Neither incident earned punishment with the NHL, so the only assumption is that Pacioretty was being dishonest about both.

Ryan Kesler is a known diver. He's famed for it.

And Jonathan Quick is no role model. He's got a truly foul-mouth, having dropped three F-bombs during the Kings Stanley Cup parade. The children: will someone please think of them?

Before T.J. Oshie was a bashful American shootout hero, he was a party animal that missed practices and let down his teammates.

And Patrick Kane? He beats up cab drivers, the heroes of the road.

Edited by Neb00rs

I will always cheer on my home country, regardless who is playing for them.  It could be half Rangers / half Flyers and I will still root for the good ol' USA!

Exactly.  You root for the flag, not the players.  When they wear the Team USA jersey they cease being Rangers/Flyers/Etc.

Edited by sammyk

I don't understand why dustin brown is even on the team. He is pretty mediocre.

Okposo and Bobby Ryan should have been on this team instead of Wheeler and Brown.  And there's a bunch of guys on defense who should have been on the team over Faulk, Orpik, and Carlson in my opinion.  Although I can love with the Carlson and Faulk decisions, I can't get over the Orpik decision.

i dont get why people here are bashing Parise though. He was leading the team with 8 shots on net... (i personally couldnt care less about shots but 75% of the posters here seems to think otherwize though, i dont get the logic there)

not trolling but i reaaaalllyyy get the feeling reading this forum that getting 8 shots... that they go in or not. That you played one hell of a game lol

im actually really curious to here some response here. 

Edited by SterioDesign

That article is completely in jest - how anyone bought it wholesale I have no idea.

But the op was being serious, since the first half of the post wasn't about the article.

The US team may have some clowns on it but most of the Canadian population has a total superiority complex.  I can understand, say rooting for the Czechs over the US but rooting for Canada over the US is like rooting for the Rangers over the Devils.

If the op I serious (I think he is) then you probably should never root for any high level sports team- they are all made up of some questionable players at some point. Even some devils have skeletons in their closet or followed the money to get here.

I'm not jumping off my seat to root for zach parise or Ryan Callahan, but I'm still rooting for my country.

Parise had a pathetic tournament. Thanks for nothing.

Parise played fine today, but he is not good on big ice at all.  His strengths just aren't represented on international ice - he's not fast enough or good enough to beat defenders 1 on 1, and his shot is not going to go in from the outside.  Play in the corners isn't all that important either.

I am sad to say that from the moment I saw the U.S. roster announced, I knew that I could never root for this team of Zach Parises. Keep in mind I have ALWAYS loyally supported U.S. teams in any and every sport. This year, it just was too much. I have listed, just as a reminder, the roster of this team below.

Dustin Brown - Just plain dirty.

Ryan Callahan - a Ranger

Patrick Kane - do I really have to explain?

Ryan Kesler - ugh

Max 'poor me' Pacioretty

Zach Parise - douchebag # 1 was already planning on joining his boyfriend Suter in Minnesota when the Devils were still in the playoffs

Ryan Suter - douchebag #2 he needed to play closer to his home, his boyfriend, and his mommy

Derek Stepan - another Ranger

James van Riemsdyk - a former Flyer and current Maple Leaf. Originally a Rangers fan from New Jersey

Paul Martin - ditched the Devils for the Pittsburgh Penguins as soon as the opportunity arose

Ryan McDonagh - yet ANOTHER Ranger

Brooks 'Why am I on this team?' Orpik - 'Oh yeah, thanks Dan Blysma'

Ryan Miller - couldn't help himself from being a sore winner and loser against the Devils and Adam Henrique

Jonathan Quick - as noted in the below article, just an all around a$$hole

Of course, leaving off Bobby Ryan, one of our best scorers, because of politics and omitting Andy Greene and Keith Yandle also proved to be quite bothersome.

Also this article, by a Canadian journalist, does get kind of obnoxious in the second half, but his points on our players are right and reminded me that I wanted to post something like this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/canada-will-win--is-in-every-way-better-than-the-usa-at-hockey-064053898.html

He includes some players I don't even have a problem with but more power to him!:

"Why I Could Never Take njdevs.com Seriously"

15 yr olds like this. And people responding to him like he has a point.

Edited by Bartholomew Hunt

But the op was being serious, since the first half of the post wasn't about the article.

The US team may have some clowns on it but most of the Canadian population has a total superiority complex.  I can understand, say rooting for the Czechs over the US but rooting for Canada over the US is like rooting for the Rangers over the Devils.

I completely agree with this. I was not rooting for Canada over the USA, I was not rooting for anyone. I don't want to see the U.S. lose, but I also don't care if they win. And like I said, I found the article I posted to be a bit obnoxious (totally a superiority complex there) but his points on the players are legit.

"Why I Could Never Take njdevs.com Seriously"

15 yr olds like this. And people responding to him like he has a point.

This is just an immature post on your part. Whether you take NJDevs seriously or not, it is the best hockey forum on the web and doesn't need your accreditation - especially from someone who tries to levy personal insults (and about my age? really?) and not offer anything to the debate.

Pretty ridiculous post. You root for the flag. How is Quick an a$$hole? Patrick Kane: "Do I even need to explain?" Yes, you do need to explain. Stupid all around.

From the Wiki:

Assault and theft charges

On August 9, 2009, Kane and his cousin, James M. Kane, were arrested in Buffalo. According to a police report, Kane was apprehended around 5:00 a.m. after allegedly punching cab driver Jan Radecki when he claimed to not have proper change for their trip fare. Kane and his cousin's cab fare came out to be $14.80, and they gave him $15.00.[19]

Kane was charged with second-degree robbery, fourth-degree criminal mischief, and theft of services. He pled not guilty. On August 17, Kane apologized for the distress he caused, saying he had been "at the wrong place at the wrong time," and mentioned his family, the Chicago Blackhawks organization, and their fan base—but not Radecki.[20] Kane and his cousin appeared before agrand jury on August 19.[21] While they were cleared of any felony charges, the two were still indicted on less severe misdemeanor assault, theft and harassment charges.[21] Kane and his cousin reiterated their not guilty pleas when appearing in court the next day.[22] On August 27, Kane and cousin pled guilty to noncriminal disorderly conduct charges, and were both given conditional discharges, avoiding any penalties if they stayed out of trouble for a year, and also ordered to apologize to Radecki.[23]

Then there was this evidence of his classiness: http://deadspin.com/5909246/reconstructing-patrick-kanes-drunken-weekend-in-madison

On Monday we showed you photos of a soused Patrick Kane in Madison, Wis., and then we asked you if you knew more about what happened while Kane was there. We had heard some bad stories—that Kane supposedly choked a woman, that Kane supposedly said anti-Semitic things—and we wanted to know if other people had, too.

If he is your cup of tea that's fine. But I ain't rooting for a guy like that. You should research first before calling my post 'stupid', that way you don't look uninformed. I support my country fervently, but your comment lacks insight. I can support my country and not root against it, while not wanting to cheer on the USA hockey team as a personal decision. 

Edited by Neb00rs

I just couldn't get into Olympic hockey. Big ice is terrible and I'm not a fan of the tactics used by every team except Canada, Russia and Sweden (I think they're saved by Karlsson who is dynamic).

Russia's tactics suck too.  I agree that the big ice has hurt my enjoyment of the tournament, as well as the timing of the games - I wouldn't mind if they didn't go to South Korea in 2018.