Why I Could Never Root for this Year's U.S. Olympic team.

Neb00rs

This is the second time this nonsensical argument has been offered in this thread. I didn't say "I told you all the USA would lose!" or "The USA was not good enough to compete." In those instances you might have a point. But that's not the case. I posted that I don't like the players and managers of the team and so I couldn't root for them this year. It wouldn't matter if I posted it today. If anything, it was proper and respectful to wait until the team lost to make a post condemning them as opposed to being negative when the team is winning. You can "ZZZzzz" all you want but you have failed to contribute to the debate.

To be honest the best thing to do would have been to have posted your feelings on the team before the tournament had begun (When the roster was announced) or whilst they were winning. That way you would have completely negated anyone’s ability to argue that your motives actually stem from the defeat and under achievement, rather than your general dislike for the players on the team etc.etc.

You probably would have also caught less flak from the reactionary posters suffering from the defeat.

Personally I always cheer on the country and the flag, not the athlete. I despise Steven Gerrard and Liverpool, nothing will ever change that, but when he is playing for England I will get behind him. Same with Wayne Rooney.

Him not producing in the olympic (4 games) surely totally eclipse the reality that we havent made the playoffs, are struggling scoring, especially in SO and have Salvador as captain since he left.

So if we throw Parise in there we are automatically in the playoffs?  You know that's a stretch.

This teams have way too many issues for just the loss or addition of 1 player can fix

Which NHL star raises their game when the stakes get higher , let alone constantly? Parise is who he is. A very good NHL player. His game doesn't suit international hockey very much as others have pointed out.

What I mean by "raises their game" is over a season, players are bound to take nights off once in a while. Looking at Parise, his biggest strength is his intensity night in and night out, from October to June. When that intensity is negated by the magnitude of the game and intense play from everyone, he looks like Jay Pandolfo on steroids out there

So if we throw Parise in there we are automatically in the playoffs?  You know that's a stretch.

This teams have way too many issues for just the loss or addition of 1 player can fix

well honestly spread 30 goals around the season + a few SO goals and that could make a HUGE difference since we're losing all our games by 1 goal. Plus he's making guys around him better.

It's ridiculous all the sudden knocks on him since he left. I know he wasnt God but i'd certainly rather have him now and overpaid but know that we're gonna have a few good season out of him and that it MAY turn sour in 5-6 years than not even knowing if we're gonna have production NEXT SEASON or over in the future.

Edited by SterioDesign

To be honest the best thing to do would have been to have posted your feelings on the team before the tournament had begun (When the roster was announced) or whilst they were winning. That way you would have completely negated anyone’s ability to argue that your motives actually stem from the defeat and under achievement, rather than your general dislike for the players on the team etc.etc.

You probably would have also caught less flak from the reactionary posters suffering from the defeat.

Personally I always cheer on the country and the flag, not the athlete. I despise Steven Gerrard and Liverpool, nothing will ever change that, but when he is playing for England I will get behind him. Same with Wayne Rooney.

First of all, I don't care about catching 'flak', especially from people who don't contribute to the debate (I am NOT referring to you). I just don't mind defending myself.

However, I believe you are confusing the roles of the posters being discussed and myself. The motive of my post is irrelevant. It is the other posters' motives that come into question. If the USA had won, I also probably wouldn't have caught so much 'flak'. It's the posters who bring up the validity of the thread who seem to just be angry that the USA lost. The only reason they have a platform to tell me that I'm a "joke" is BECAUSE the Americans lost. Conversely, if I had posted this at the beginning of the tournament and these same posters attacked the thread, then their gripes would be more credible. 

See, it shouldn't matter when I posted the thread, the fact is that A. it has been posted and B. the chronology of the posting relative to the progression of the tournament is external to the arguments posed. The debate is valid ipso facto the original post and posters subsequently entered a forum in which the realm of relevance provides the possible actions of agreeing with the post to any degree, disagreeing, or abstaining from contribution. 

Additionally, and perhaps more centrally, it makes no sense to assert that I should have posted the thread earlier if I want to be viewed as credible, as I made no prediction in my post (which if I did, would lend credence to the 'timing' debate).

First of all, I don't care about catching 'flak', especially from people who don't contribute to the debate (I am NOT referring to you). I just don't mind defending myself.

However, I believe you are confusing the roles of the posters being discussed and myself. The motive of my post is irrelevant. It is the other posters' motives that come into question. If the USA had won, I also probably wouldn't have caught so much 'flak'. It's the posters who bring up the validity of the thread who seem to just be angry that the USA lost. The only reason they have a platform to tell me that I'm a "joke" is BECAUSE the Americans lost. Conversely, if I had posted this at the beginning of the tournament and these same posters attacked the thread, then their gripes would be more credible. 

See, it shouldn't matter when I posted the thread, the fact is that A. it has been posted and B. the chronology of the posting relative to the progression of the tournament is external to the arguments posed. The debate is valid ipso facto the original post and posters subsequently entered a forum in which the realm of relevance provides the possible actions of agreeing with the post to any degree, disagreeing, or abstaining from contribution. 

Additionally, and perhaps more centrally, it makes no sense to assert that I should have posted the thread earlier if I want to be viewed as credible, as I made no prediction in my post (which if I did, would lend credence to the 'timing' debate).

I am not questioning the validity/credibility of your post, it’s your opinion.

All I was suggesting was that if you had wanted to get a more sensible debate going on the issue (looking back through the thread in-between the "you’re a joke" lines there actually were some interesting opinions) without childish name calling, then posting the thread when you did probably wasn’t going to encourage that, given the reactionary nature of this forum the last couple of years you shouldn’t really be surprised (or maybe you're not and actually expected it to play out like this all along).

Oh right, I forgot about this.  Why was he benched?

well simply cause there was 6 better dmen for the job lol 

the norris was bullsh!t last year, he won before his stats could drop. Just like Gelinas after awhile teams knows what he'll do and they take away his space. All his points are on the PP almost. So im pretty damn confident that over a full season he was not getting it.

well simply cause there was 6 better dmen for the job lol 

the norris was bullsh!t last year, he won before his stats could drop. Just like Gelinas after awhile teams knows what he'll do and they take away his space. All his points are on the PP almost. So im pretty damn confident that over a full season he was not getting it.

So bullsh!t that he won the award for the games that actually happened The voters should have taken into account what would have OBVIOUSLY happened if there were more games in the regular season.

"All his points are on the PP almost." 19 of his 38 points are from the PP. I don't know seems pretty even to me...is one better than the other?

PK Subban is an excellent NHL player. There was a spot for him to play. He should have dressed over Hamhuis, but it did seem the coaching staff was a little scared. He wouldn't have improved their defense, but if they ever fuond themselves losing (something they never did in the entire tournament), he would have been a nice help.

Edited by devilsrule33

So bullsh!t that he won the award for the games that actually happened The voters should have taken into account what would have OBVIOUSLY happened if there were more games in the regular season.

"All his points are on the PP almost." 19 of his 38 points are from the PP. I don't know seems pretty even to me...is one better than the other?

PK Subban is an excellent NHL player. There was a spot for him to play. He should have dressed over Hamhuis, but it did seem the coaching staff was a little scared. He wouldn't have improved their defense, but if they ever fuond themselves losing (something they never did in the entire tournament), he would have been a nice help.

Subban brings offence of course but also brings lots of risks and always trying to do too much. While all the other guys we're bringing offence and a better defensive play and are all easier to play with. Subban is known for being hard to play with, Markov is REALLY often bitching about him publicly or even refusing to talk about him.

Its not bashing the guy saying that other guys we're safer than him and easier to coach too. Also Hamhuis is not the same kind of player and he's a lefty so it's irrelevant.

They we're more scared to get the "bad" side of Subban than his good side on the big stage and it's totally fair. You may not be aware of all his antics since youre not following all the medias in MTL but the guy is really not easy to deal with. Not even kidding the whole team we're rooming 2 guys per room and they've put Subban in a room by himself. Not. Even. Kidding. 

Having served in the US Army Infantry, I am EXTREMELY proud of my flag.  That being said, I don't really follow Olympic hockey as close as I follow the Devils or the NHL but I enjoyed the fact the team USA lost.  I'd like to be able to say I'll always root for team USA, but honestly that just isn't how I feel.  With the roster they had it was difficult for me to root for them and I was happy to see Canada win it.  Does that make me "unamerican" or "anti-american"?  No. it doesn't.  At the end of the day, these are GAMES we're talking about.  Not wars.  It's just a matter of personal opinion and If you don't like mine, that's okay, you don't have to.  Like many before me I served my country so you have the freedom to voice your opinion, whether I agree with it or not.  

“I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.” 
― Voltaire

• Like 2

Subban brings offence of course but also brings lots of risks and always trying to do too much. While all the other guys we're bringing offence and a better defensive play and are all easier to play with. Subban is known for being hard to play with, Markov is REALLY often bitching about him publicly or even refusing to talk about him.

Its not bashing the guy saying that other guys we're safer than him and easier to coach too. Also Hamhuis is not the same kind of player and he's a lefty so it's irrelevant.

They we're more scared to get the "bad" side of Subban than his good side on the big stage and it's totally fair. You may not be aware of all his antics since youre not following all the medias in MTL but the guy is really not easy to deal with. Not even kidding the whole team we're rooming 2 guys per room and they've put Subban in a room by himself. Not. Even. Kidding. 

His antics are always a source of rumours, but they are not relevant in this discussion about winning a Norris or where his points come from or even about him playing on Team Canada (seems like he got along with everyone there). I'll take Subban any day (all the reported baggage can come with him too) 

His antics are always a source of rumours, but they are not relevant in this discussion about winning a Norris or where his points come from or even about him playing on Team Canada (seems like he got along with everyone there). I'll take Subban any day (all the reported baggage can come with him too) 

No they were not rumours, came STRAIGHT out of his teammates and coaches mouth. Often on camera or in interviews. How many players in the league fought with almost half of his teammates during practice really? lol

hypothetical if he became devil would you be happy?

I can honestly say that i dont know, but based that i hated Clarkson cause he was diving all the time and even if he scored 30 goals for us i still hated him. I could give him credits when it was due but still hated the guy, so im pretty i'd still hate subban yes

I can honestly say that i dont know, but based that i hated Clarkson cause he was diving all the time and even if he scored 30 goals for us i still hated him. I could give him credits when it was due but still hated the guy, so im pretty i'd still hate subban yes

Why would you possibly hate someone who would immediately become the Devils best player? That's pretty ridiculous.

Wait, can we talk about Parise getting called a grinder in this thread? Clarkson is a glorified grinder, Parise is one of the best two way forwards in the NHL. Hate him or still love him after he left, you can't deny it. No he was never a big game player, but you could count on getting his everything every time he laced up the skates for us. If he came back right now, he'd be our best forward. T

he hate for his game is stupid, and even though it's in the rearview for me at this point, he played hard against Canada. He put up shots and won almost every puck battle along the boards, it wasn't his fault that nobody could handle pucks in the offensive zone.

Wait, can we talk about Parise getting called a grinder in this thread? Clarkson is a glorified grinder, Parise is one of the best two way forwards in the NHL. Hate him or still love him after he left, you can't deny it. No he was never a big game player, but you could count on getting his everything every time he laced up the skates for us. If he came back right now, he'd be our best forward. T

he hate for his game is stupid, and even though it's in the rearview for me at this point, he played hard against Canada. He put up shots and won almost every puck battle along the boards, it wasn't his fault that nobody could handle pucks in the offensive zone.

Agreed, not to mention nobody is as relentless as he is when it comes to pressuring the puck carrier.

completely agree. i still can't believe the sh!t that has been said about him since he left. They'll focus on some negative but then will defend Zajac saying he's doing SO MUCH that doesnt show on the scoreboard. No one was doing more "off scoresheet" thing for the team on the ice than Zach.

Losing him was the tipping point of the trouble were in right now, it all snowballed from there.

Having served in the US Army Infantry, I am EXTREMELY proud of my flag.  That being said, I don't really follow Olympic hockey as close as I follow the Devils or the NHL but I enjoyed the fact the team USA lost.  I'd like to be able to say I'll always root for team USA, but honestly that just isn't how I feel.  With the roster they had it was difficult for me to root for them and I was happy to see Canada win it.  Does that make me "unamerican" or "anti-american"?  No. it doesn't.  At the end of the day, these are GAMES we're talking about.  Not wars.  It's just a matter of personal opinion and If you don't like mine, that's okay, you don't have to.  Like many before me I served my country so you have the freedom to voice your opinion, whether I agree with it or not.  

QFT. Good post. It is disappointing to not be able to root for the USA but at the same time, one cannot force himself to get behind a cause that doesn't align with his beliefs.