NHL Channel Vintage Games

Jimmy Leeds

Just watched the whole 1996 World Cup of Hockey Game 3 of the Final. (Needed a boost after the atrocious finish in the Olympics)

I have to suggest to keep an eye out for this game to be broadcast again and watch it. I remember watching it live (just got engaged to Mrs. Leeds) and though I had seen the ending several times, I decided to watch the whole game.

This was literally one of the greatest games you could ever watch. Strange even to this day rooting against Devs players, Buerin was the only Devs at that time on the US roster. Holy sh!t was Richter out of his mind good.

Anyway, check it out. The intensity was incredible, very,very chippy. Well worth the watch.

PS: How Odelein was on the Canada team I'll never know.

Not for nothing I was just talking with a friend about how the NHL should just stop the Olympic sh!t and bring back the post season World Cup Of Hockey. Those were some great games.

The Olympics have more meaning than just some random tournament put together by the NHL in random intervals of years with a newly designed trophy every time with players who aren't yet in game shape because it takes place before training camp.  Weren't there a bunch of players that turned down the invitation to the World Cup?  I don't think any healthy player turned down an opportunity to play in the Olympics.

All the stars from that era appeared to be in these games. Notable exceptions were Mario Lemieux and Ron Francis.

Bettman said on the radio the other day they are looking to revive this. It will happen if the players don't go to the Olympics.

This was much better hockey.

In 1996 perhaps, but what about in 2004?  I watched every game and can't remember a thing from any of them, but if I recall correctly, a bunch of star players were missing.  Then again this could probably be because in 96 there were not yet NHL players playing in the Olympics and in 2004 that was the norm, plus there was a lockout looming.  Maybe the World Cup will mean something if NHL players don't go to the Olympics, but it still won't be the same to me since it really would be just a tournament set up by the NHL to mimic their former participation in the Olympics.  It would be even less credible if they continue to have it at random intervals rather than every four years or so.  Another thing that bugs me about it is that there doesn't seem to be any qualification criteria.  Didn't the NHL just hand pick which countries get to participate?

About 8 to 10 countries were there. Pros didnt go to the Olympics till 198 I think?

There were 8 countries, but there were no rules in place to determine who qualifies.  Obviously you know Canada, Russia, Sweden, Finland, USA, Czech Republic, and probably Slovakia should be there, but why should Germany automatically be included over Switzerland, Denmark, Norway, Slovenia, Latvia, Italy, France, Belarus, Austria, Kazakhstan, etc?

EDIT:  Also yes 1998 was the first year there were NHL players in the Olympics, which may be why the 1996 World Cup was a big deal and the 2004 one was not.

Edited by devilsfan26