The Official 2014 Trade Deadline Thread

Derlique

All signs point to him being traded. I always thought Brodeur was being a little petulant but it would never really get to this point.

It's Brodeurs career. It's his life. He has the right to pursue whatever he wants for however long he wants for whatever salary they're willing to pay him. But it is a little sad when you're the last person in the room who doesn't know that it's over. 

It's Brodeurs career. It's his life. He has the right to pursue whatever he wants for however long he wants for whatever salary they're willing to pay him. But it is a little sad when you're the last person in the room who doesn't know that it's over. 

Well, that's what he wants to find out.  That is, I think he gets that if he didn't get traded, he'll play maybe 3 to 5 games the rest of the year, or it could be even less than that.  Lou probably told him the Devils probably won't re-sign him for next year, so he just wants to see if he can get a shot with another team to prove to himself and other teams that he still has something left in the tank.  Yeah, if you look at save percentage, it tells you that he shouldn't be that deluded.  But if another team is willing to trade for him, it doesn't matter what statistics tell you. 

At the same time, he's probably doing the Devils a favor in that it would be getting something in return.  Unlike Mats Sundin who wouldn't go to another team for a few months for a bad Toronto team to get something of value.

I really don't see how this is all that controversial. 

All signs point to him being traded. I always thought Brodeur was being a little petulant but it would never really get to this point.

That's funny. The Devils entire organization has been pumping his tires ad nauseam all year. I think Tri said it best that the players and coaching staff basically lie through their teeth every night, and he can't do the same for anyone else just once (or even come to terms with the truth of the situation).

I thought about compiling a list of comment after comment from players, coaches, and mangement BSing about how well Brodeur and Schneider have played. The thing is one goalie has been a top 5 goalie, and the other has been a bottom 3 goalie.

That's funny. The Devils entire organization has been pumping his tires ad nauseam all year. I think Tri said it best that the players and coaching staff basically lie through their teeth every night, and he can't do the same for anyone else just once (or even come to terms with the truth of the situation).

I thought about compiling a list of comment after comment from players, coaches, and mangement BSing about how well Brodeur and Schneider have played. The thing is one goalie has been a top 5 goalie, and the other has been a bottom 3 goalie.

No, he can't. That's just the ego that comes with the records he's compiled. He may seem like a happy go lucky french canadian dude but beneath that is a fierce competitor...and unfortunately somebody who still believes everybody needs to kiss his ring. It's not unusual to see this sort of stuff. Look at the falling out the Messier had with the Rangers just because they wouldn't hand over the head coaching job to him on a silver platter this past summer. A job that he was not the least bit qualified for. So he took his ball and went home. Marty is essentially doing the same thing here, only "home" to Minnesota.

Well, that's what he wants to find out.  That is, I think he gets that if he didn't get traded, he'll play maybe 3 to 5 games the rest of the year, or it could be even less than that.  Lou probably told him the Devils probably won't re-sign him for next year, so he just wants to see if he can get a shot with another team to prove to himself and other teams that he still has something left in the tank.  Yeah, if you look at save percentage, it tells you that he shouldn't be that deluded.  But if another team is willing to trade for him, it doesn't matter what statistics tell you. 

At the same time, he's probably doing the Devils a favor in that it would be getting something in return.  Unlike Mats Sundin who wouldn't go to another team for a few months for a bad Toronto team to get something of value.

I really don't see how this is all that controversial. 

I doubt Lou would've told him that, because I doubt that's true.  I think Lou and the organization would love to have him around to play 20 games next year, but they recognize that he doesn't want to play 20 games, so he's exploring other options.  

As for insiders, we can have this debate a million times, but it's quite simple:  only believe people who have a reputation for being reliable.  Sometimes the unreliable will be correct (ZGF's claim that Jagr was touring the Pru Center, e.g.), but most of the time it won't be.

As for insiders, we can have this debate a million times, but it's quite simple:  only believe people who have a reputation for being reliable.  Sometimes the unreliable will be correct (ZGF's claim that Jagr was touring the Pru Center, e.g.), but most of the time it won't be.

In this instance I would give people a pass for not completely dismissing it.  He is an employee of NHL network (or at least purports to be), has a decent amount of followers, and I haven't seen him tweet other unfounded rumors.  So it was plausible that he stumbled onto something.  Fool me once....