The Official 2014 Trade Deadline Thread

Derlique

Admit it, you type that to get a reaction. Because if you are serious, that is absolutely silly.

No I did not type that to get a reaction.  But seriously who besides Clowe do we have that's physical?  Bernier?  I'm not saying our forwards are soft.  What I am saying is that we don't have forwards who initiate physicality.

Is it really silly? Do you see the hit counts in our games? We don't hit alot. We battle for pucks, so sure were physical in that regard, but we don't really beat up on the other team enough. I for once agree with mike in a sense. We aren't a very physical team.

I agree with both points.  Our hit counts are usually low, I too have noticed that, but I am not sure why.  We have plenty of big guys like Zubrus, Jagr, Zajac.  Granted they were playing on a line together for a while lol, but even Clowe likes to hit, and of course our trio of 4th line grinders in Bernier/Gionta/Carter should be hitting some, so I am not sure why the numbers are low.  It has to be the system/style the coaches are preaching.  

Again look at our hit counts most games, we don't hit alot.

Hit counts are like shot counts. Unless you're counting them personally, do you trust them 100%? From my seats, they hit enough that reflects their style of play. Do you want them slamming every opposiite color jersey every shift like madmen? There's hard, smart fore checking and there is running around all over the place. Physical play is not an issue with this team. 

Hit counts are like shot counts. Unless you're counting them personally, do you trust them 100%? From my seats, they hit enough that reflects their style of play. Do you want them slamming every opposiite color jersey every shift like madmen? There's hard, smart fore checking and there is running around all over the place. Physical play is not an issue with this team. 

Apparently, some posters want the forward unit to consist of 6 scorers and 6 Cam Janssens.

A)  I lied about being done.  Sue me.

B)  I love when new posters come on here with a holier-than-thou attitude.  This is a hockey forum - are we not supposed to speak our minds?  fvck off with that nonsense.  You're not contributing anything that hasn't already been said.

That quote about 2008 is scary.

I'm going to assume that's directed at me.  I'm not coming in here with a holier than thou attitude, and certainly not saying you can't voice your opinion -- obviously, yes, that is the point of a forum -- I just can't believe the number of people acting like the freaking apocalypse is coming just because a few guys didn't get moved, and because we basically executed a one-for-one swap, losing a guy who has contributed 12 more points this year than I have.

I think we never match the other team in terms of aggression in that sense, we are typically always lower than the other team sure the counts could be off slightly but we always are behind on the hits department. There is a place for hits, you fvck up skill players and it will make them think twice eventually about doing certain things.

Ruutu has 9 goals and 16 assists in his last 74 games and is 31. I don't think this is the player they needed. Loktionov has 12 goals and 12 assists in his last 76 games and despite his defensive issues, was one of the best passers on the team and excellent in zone exits. Someone who tracked zone entries in 18 Devils games this year also noted that Loktionov was one of the better Devils at carrying the puck in. I don't see why it would've been bad to just keep Loktionov and let him walk at the end of the year instead of taking on a bad contract of a player on the wrong side of 30. 

I would be perfectly fine with keeping Loktionov.  But at worst, Ruutu is as good offensively as Loktionov.  Where Ruutu is better than Loktionov is physicality and defense.

Since I vastly disagreed with your statement before, I'll give some credit on this one.  I don't find hitting to be a particular problem either -- our time of possession and controlling the puck along the boards and behind the net has been satisfactory or above average in my book.  I actually prefer the old school style of hitting anyway, which dictates that the D-men do most of it and actually stand guys up at the blue line (a la our beloved Stevens).  I would hate Salvador a lot less if he would do that, and he has the body frame to do so, which is puzzling why he doesn't.

Apparently, some posters want the forward unit to consist of 6 scorers and 6 Cam Janssens.

Nice smart ass, clearly I said everyone in the top 6 should be running around checking guys. But guess what we play teams like fvcking pittsburg and can be behind in hits. If a team with that top end talent throws their weight around so can we.

We do lack a certain physicallity right now, and if you wanna be olbivious to that or say its not needed fine, but don't be fvcking twats lashing out at people that think it's an important thing to have.

Since I vastly disagreed with your statement before, I'll give some credit on this one.  I don't find hitting to be a particular problem either -- our time of possession and controlling the puck along the boards and behind the net has been satisfactory or above average in my book.  I actually prefer the old school style of hitting anyway, which dictates that the D-men do most of it and actually stand guys up at the blue line (a la our beloved Stevens).  I would hate Salvador a lot less if he would do that, and he has the body frame to do so, which is puzzling why he doesn't.

He's slow so I imagine if he steps up on the foward they can easily get past him and make him look like a fool.

Edited by Sneax

How many times have we seen opposing teams easily break off our forecheck because we don't play the body?  Ruutu will help that.  How about when we're pinned in our defensive zone because we just let the opposition cycle the puck without playing the body?  Ruutu will help that.

I'm going to assume that's directed at me.  I'm not coming in here with a holier than thou attitude, and certainly not saying you can't voice your opinion -- obviously, yes, that is the point of a forum -- I just can't believe the number of people acting like the freaking apocalypse is coming just because a few guys didn't get moved, and because we basically executed a one-for-one swap, losing a guy who has contributed 12 more points this year than I have.

Wrong. So, who are you over on HF for real?

Edited by TheRedStorm

Nice smart ass, clearly I said everyone in the top 6 should be running around checking guys. But guess what we play teams like fvcking pittsburg and can be behind in hits. If a team with that top end talent throws their weight around so can we.

We do lack a certain physicallity right now, and if you wanna be olbivious to that or say its not needed fine, but don't be fvcking twats lashing out at people that think it's an important thing to have.

He's slow so I imagine if he steps up on the defensemen they can easily get past him and make him look like a fool.

It WAS an important thing to have pre 2005 lockout.  Teams like Pittsburgh are not going out throwing crushing hits every game and winning.  Instead they are winning board battles, they are faster, younger and have better overall talent than ours.

We have plenty of toughness.  We just lack talent, speed and youth.

Let's all get some perspective here. Think about the Islanders' GM, Mr. Garth Snow: he basically just traded Matt Moulson, a first round pick, and a second round pick for Sebastian Collberg and a worse second round pick. Collberg better pan out for them or else this team is just choosing to destroy itself...

Edited by Neb00rs