Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SMantzas

The Official 2014 Trade Deadline Thread

1,327 posts in this topic

TG said that Kevin Weekes didn't twitter anything about Marty waiving his NTC

can't any whole-career Devil just retire with the Devils anymore and not retire with another team? Why can't we have more players like Daneyko who are career Devils? Are we going to be having the same talks about Elias now in a couple years when his contract is up? I dunno it was one thing with Neids going to Anaheim because he wanted the chance to play with his brother, but it's another with this whole Marty BS. I know he wants to play more but honestly I can't see anyone making him a starter and it kind of tarnishes his legacy a little bit if he doesn't end his career here after all he's done for the org.

It's happening all over the league - Alfredsson, St. Louis, even Iginla though that was a mutual decision.  We're not exclusive to having our stars leave at the end of their career although it's getting annoying in general seeing ALL these guys go away at the tail end of their career.

TG said that Kevin Weekes didn't twitter anything about Marty waiving his NTC

He said it on TV apparently.

This idea of players going to another team in the twilight of their careers is nothing new and happens in all sports.

Edited by CarpathianForest

It does feel weird.  I'm still not entirely ruling out Marty realizing he's not what he was and sticking around and retiring at the end of the season as a Devil (the scenario I think most Devils fans would prefer to see), but that seems more and more like a longshot every minute.  Seems like he wants to set himself up for playing next season.

can't any whole-career Devil just retire with the Devils anymore and not retire with another team? Why can't we have more players like Daneyko who are career Devils? Are we going to be having the same talks about Elias now in a couple years when his contract is up? I dunno it was one thing with Neids going to Anaheim because he wanted the chance to play with his brother, but it's another with this whole Marty BS. I know he wants to play more but honestly I can't see anyone making him a starter and it kind of tarnishes his legacy a little bit if he doesn't end his career here after all he's done for the org.

In bold:  this is so unfair.  He gave you all of his very best, and often gave the Devils discounts to do it (at the very least, he made each re-signing process relatively painless, once he canned his agent).  Think any other goalie will be winning 683 games with one franchise anytime soon?  Anytime ever?  Again, look at the other goalies in his ballpark, in terms of games played and wins...all of them except Marty played for more than one team, and in their primes for that matter.  Marty has more than earned the right to play somewhere else and if he and some other team think he can help them, can't he explore that without it "tarnishing his legacy"?   

This idea of players going to another team in the twilight of their careers is nothing new and happens in all sports.

Exactly. And it has happened throughout time. It's not a new thing. Fact of the matter is that an athlete's shelf life is short, and if they want to play and there is a team willing to employ them, then why shouldn't they move on. Marty owes nothing to the Devils, and vice versa. If he wants to play another year to get to 700 wins, or because he still has to pay off Melanie, or he just isn't ready to hang up his skates, then who are we to say he should retire. It won't tarnish his legacy, or diminish what he has done for or meant to this franchise in any way.

Edited by Chuck the Duck

It doesn't tarnish his legacy at all to me if he goes elsewhere. I just don't want to see it and I especially don't want to see him end up in Minnesota.

How about some kind of package for Niederreiter? What would it cost? Or do you think he's untouchable for the Wild since they just picked him up over the summer?

Obviously it'd take much much more than Marty. Probably either a veteran or an established young D.

I think of it this way. He doesn't want to retire and intends to play next year. Are you comfortable giving him a new contract and bringing him back next year? Even in a limited back up role? Just for nostalgic reasons I can see it, but it's just not practicable.

I would love Marty to retire a Devil. If he said this year was it and he wanted to retire at the end of the season, I would say fine, keep him around. But if he is just going to play elsewhere next year anyway, you might as well get something in return.

How about some kind of package for Niederreiter? What would it cost? Or do you think he's untouchable for the Wild since they just picked him up over the summer?

Obviously it'd take much much more than Marty. Probably either a veteran or an established young D.

The Wild are like the Devils in that they need all the help they can get scoring goals, so they won't be trading away someone like that, unless it's for another forward, which the Devils don't have. 

It doesn't tarnish his legacy at all to me if he goes elsewhere. I just don't want to see it and I especially don't want to see him end up in Minnesota.

But you ESPECIALLY don't want to see him with the Flyers and you ESPECIALLY don't want to see him with the Rangers...but ESPECIALLY NOT the Penguins either or Isles.

But you ESPECIALLY don't want to see him with the Flyers and you ESPECIALLY don't want to see him with the Rangers...but ESPECIALLY NOT the Penguins either or Isles.

What's your point? He's not going to end up on any of those teams anyway.

i'd just not trade him rather than having to wonder if that late pick will ever be worth it or if whoever would be our backup would do the job, i still think marty is a solid backup at least 

I think Marty really wants to hit 700. He's not going to do that with the Devils. He has a really good chance of getting a few more wins this season and the rest next season with another team. I think that's his number one goal.

What's your point? He's not going to end up on any of those teams anyway.

My point is it reminds me of people said anywhere but Minny for Parise (which to me made little sense). Why would Minny be a problem? I am sure you wouldn't be happy with any situation, but one where he gets to see his kids all the time is the especially?

My point is it reminds me of people said anywhere but Minny for Parise (which to me made little sense). Why would Minny be a problem? I am sure you wouldn't be happy with any situation, but one where he gets to see his kids all the time is the especially?

Did you ever stop and think that some fans don't want him helping/playing with Parise, who isn't exactly held in high universal regard? Perhaps they don't want to have to see Brodeur play in Minnesota's uniform later this month and/or pull out a win and hurt the Devils playoff chances (if they aren't slim by then). 

Hell I wish he'd go to the Hawks. Good chance of making some noise in the playoffs, he probably gets some easy wins (if they make Crawford look that good Marty can certainly hold his own)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Did you ever stop and think that some fans don't want him helping/playing with Parise, who isn't exactly held in high universal regard? Perhaps they don't want to have to see Brodeur play in Minnesota's uniform later this month and/or pull out a win and hurt the Devils playoff chances (if they aren't slim by then). 

That's dumb.

That's dumb.

Have Brodeur come back later this month and rob two important points away. We'll see then.

Edited by TheRedStorm

Have Brodeur come back later this month and rob two important points away. We'll see then.

So you're assuming A. Marty will play that game and B. Marty will win that game

So you're assuming A. Marty will play that game and B. Marty will win that game

You're assuming he won't? 

You can't tell me honestly, if he's a member of the Wild, that he isn't playing that game. Come on....don't be thick. Winning the game is hypothetical, but don't sit there and tell me this doesn't set up with variables.

Edited by TheRedStorm

Cause personally for myself I would like to see Marty do well on whatever he desires. I personally won't root for Minnesota cause I refuse to root for Parises team.

Again this is my personal view and of course I don't want Marty to go anywhere but again this is what I want. I've stated that several times.

No matter what happens Martys legacy won't be tarnished to me though.

I think Marty really wants to hit 700.

Based on what?  When has he ever said that this was of major importance? 

Based on what?  When has he ever said that this was of major importance? 

What he means is "700 games is what I see as important."

Lol. First off, you do realize that, aside from the one game we play against Minny, any game that Minnesota wins can ONLY help the Devils? Secondly, I think you are the ONLY person in the world who even thought of this. Thirdly, why would we be afraid that Marty could steal points from us? The whole point in letting him go is because we don't see his skill as that valuable anymore. I am not even entirely sure why I responded to this, it's silly, but hey, the ridiculousness caught my attention.

All people on this board Ido is talk about how bad Marty is. Now everyone thinks if he plays against the Devils he will win?

Must be all different people posting in this thread.