The Quest for 91

Devils Pride 26

Their best stretch was 5 in 6 at the tail end of the first one above and against really good teams to boot (Pens, Ducks, Kings)...funny how that happened when we had Larsson/Gelinas playing well and with decent minutes and now with the old farts back we're sitting at status quo  :rant:

Edited by NJDevs4978

Their best stretch was 5 in 6 at the tail end of the first one above and against really good teams to boot (Pens, Ducks, Kings)...funny how that happened when we had Larsson/Gelinas playing well and with decent minutes :rant:

the team scored with Gelinas in there....time to put him in and live with the defensive miscues. He may be responsible for a GA, but on the other hand is responsible for 2 GF. He needs to play, he adds O

Columbus wins.  Essentially we are 5 points out of a playoff spot:

Rangers 76, Devils 71, same number of games played

Philly 75, Devils 71, but Philly has two games at hand.

Not to mention we're still behind current non-playoff position teams Detroit and Washington.

I honestly don't see 6 other teams out of these 10 teams getting to 92 points.  Not a single one of these scenarios is a given.  I think Toronto and Tampa will get there.  I do believe 91 points will be enough to get in.

Toronto needs 12 points in 14 games.

Tampa Bay needs 13 points in 15 games.

NY Rangers need 16 points in 14 games.

Philadelphia needs 17 points in 16 games.

Montreal needs 13 points in 14 games.

Columbus needs 16 points in 15 games.

Detroit needs 19 points in 16 games.

Washington needs 20 points in 14 games.

Ottawa needs 23 points in 16 games.

Carolina needs 25 points in 16 games.

the team scored with Gelinas in there....time to put him in and live with the defensive miscues. He may be responsible for a GA, but on the other hand is responsible for 2 GF. He needs to play, he adds O

They were winning with Gelinas too after the break.  nj26 posted these numbers on HF, they're infuriating:

26-16-7 with Gelly in the lineup, 3-10-6 without him (of course a lot of that's the 0-4-3 stretch to open the season but still).

They were winning with Gelinas too after the break.  nj26 posted these numbers on HF, they're infuriating:

26-16-7 with Gelly in the lineup, 3-10-6 without him (of course a lot of that's the 0-4-3 stretch to open the season but still).

I'm the biggest Gelinas fanboy here.  But this stat is extremely misleading.  Granted, he should be playing, but I believe having him in the lineup tonight and last night wouldn't have made a difference.  That being said, we need a shakeup.  2 bad losses in a row, and I think it's time to put him back in.  There's also that Larsson guy.

Does anyone here believe Lou when he said that Larsson is in the AHL to regain some lost confidence?  I mean, I can understand that since Larsson still a young and developing defenseman.  Who knows? Maybe Larsson will return to the NHL and play phenomenal?

• Like 1

Does anyone here believe Lou when he said that Larsson is in the AHL to regain some lost confidence? I mean, I can understand that since Larsson still a young and developing defenseman. Who knows? Maybe Larsson will return to the NHL and play phenomenal?

Not sure how he could be gaining confidence when he sees worse young guys like Gelinas and Merril hopping over him on the depth chart.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Not sure how he could be gaining confidence when he sees worse young guys like Gelinas and Merril hopping over him on the depth chart.

Yeah i absolutely can't see how this is good for his development. He's not there cause he had to be there or cause he deserve it. He's there because Lou didnt take care of that logjam on D. Plain and simple

He can gain confidence in his own abilities without worrying about what other players are doing.

In theory, yes. But he's a young kid - you can't really expect him to see the big picture at all times.

I know I'd be pissed if a less qualified individual was promoted over me.

Oh and let's not forget the real world aspect for a second - Larsson is making pennies playing in the AHL compared to his pay last year.

Larsson can't even drive a car, so I doubt he's spending a ton of money.

As for with-without - these stats are silly.  The Rangers used to put up a with/without stat regarding Sean Avery for about two years until things finally corrected themselves - it's utterly meaningless.

Also the idea that Merrill is worse than Larsson - yeah, I get that one guy was drafted much higher than the other, but if you throw that piece of information away (which is not that relevant at this stage), the two are about equal in my mind.

Edited by Triumph

I am wodnering if Merrill is starting to feel the affects of the long NHL season. I'd like to get Adam in there this week, but the Devils wouldn't because they are what they are.

They're not going to use one of their four recalls when they have eight defensemen up here as is. 

They're not going to use one of their four recalls when they have eight defensemen up here as is. 

Yeah, this.  They would if they were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, but if not, it doesn't make a ton of sense to just have 9 D here, and then sending him down for any reason means invalidating another recall.  I think if someone got hurt and was out for the season they might do it.

I could see Lou using one of his recalls now. I think Larsson may very well be called up any day.

Lou has never been afraid to make a move.

Nonetheless, teams can still make emergency call-ups in case someone does get hurt.

If Lou wants this team to make the playoffs, he better do something.

I could see Lou using one of his recalls now. I think Larsson may very well be called up any day.

Lou has never been afraid to make a move.

Nonetheless, teams can still make emergency call-ups in case someone does get hurt.

Tim Sestito just called up.  Burning one of your four call-ups on basically a 5th line center.  Stupid.

Edited by Z-Man

Tim Sestito just called up.  Burning one of your four call-ups on basically a 5th line center.  Stupid.

Like, I said, this is totally Lou. I don't really think it's such a big deal. The call-ups are not so vital - how many Albany players do we expect to need the rest of the season? Larsson. That's it.

Edited by Neb00rs

Like, I said, this is totally Lou. I don't really think it's such a big deal. The call-ups are not so vital - how many Albany players do we expect to need the rest of the season? Larsson. That's it.

if we are just going to waste him down there(larsson) i wish we would have traded him or packaged him with something else for someone who would help this team where we need it