Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Daniel

We Got Rutuu

342 posts in this topic

I don't mind this deal too much. At least we know Ruutu can play in the NHL consistently if he doesn't get injured. The salary is rough but we needed someone to try bolstering our wings, and we'll have space after some players clear this year and the cap goes up. While it's not a blockbuster, at least it's something.

I agree.  I actually wouldn't have had any issues with him standing pat. 

I wanted him to stand pat. Ruutu is the worst Devils trade I can remember. As Tri just said, the Devils LW core is a disaster. 

I wanted him to stand pat. Ruutu is the worst Devils trade I can remember. As Tri just said, the Devils LW core is a disaster. 

The 'Canes are STILL probably in "Did we really just pull that off?" mode.  Were they able to hide their chucking/glee over the phone as they were talking to Lou? 

I don't know.... John MacLean for Doug Bodger was pretty bad......

Again, it all depends on how much salary is picked up.  If it's 50%, it's a decent deal because the Ruutu contract will move again if it has to, even if NJ has to eat 25% of the remaining cost.

TG now saying 'some' - so I would estimate some at 20%.  Not good enough, unfortunately.

Edited by Triumph

Thank God, Lou said Carolina retained some salary.  Here's hoping it's about $4 mil a year.

If Lokti was going to bolt, and Lou had plans to buy out Volch this offseason, is this trade really that bad? 

Well I feel a little bit better now that we know some of the $ was retained by CAR.

Couple pennies.

Lokti was leaving, and he has sucked anyway. Ruutu is not the player we needed, but this deal doesn't hurt us whatsoever IMHO.

Well I feel a little bit better now that we know some of the $ was retained by CAR.

That's something.  Kinda like finding out your car only has three flat tires instead of four.

Garth Snow is hysterical.  He must have taken a few pucks too hard to the head.

The good news?  Ruutu is in the top 20 in the NHL in hits.

The bad news?  We got a $5 million version of Steve Bernier.

The good news?  Ruutu is in the top 20 in the NHL in hits.

The bad news?  We got a $5 million version of Steve Bernier.

Can Ruutu fight? I have long suspected that Steve Bernier is in fact a giant bitch when it comes to fighting. I dare someone to prove me wrong. Bernier hits but he isn't truly physical he's to much of a pansy.

Carolina retained some salary.  So that's good news.

Knowing Lou, it's 15 cents of the $4.75 million.

DeBoer's excited. None of Pete's Pets got moved, and he got another plumber-type he can over-use. He must be dancing a jig. The best thing about today is that we didn't claim Gomez.

Well, nice to see at least he wants to be here...

Tom Gulitti @TGfireandice 7m

Ruutu waived no trade clause to come Devils.

Big friggen deal.  It's kinda easy to waive your NTC when you realize the team you play for doesn't want you...

His sh% and on ice sh% of around 6% lends himself to a bounce back with a new team. He was very effective for Finland at the Olympics.