Colin226

GDT: NJ Devils @ FL Panthers - 7:30pm - MSG+2

154 posts in this topic

??? Has this happened? Aside from last night there hasn't been much anti-Cory rhetoric at all. That's the whole point. And in the rare cases that it did happen, at least it was after a loss.

Also, re: this is an unlikable Devils team; I don't get that at all.

Admittedly about 90% of them have come from skeeter (either after Marty wins or Cory losses)...but there have been anti-Cory digs that also personally attacked the fans who dared criticize Marty.  

Unlikable might not be the right word.  I don't know that there's an individual on the team I dislike personally (unlike the 2009-11 teams)...but honestly that's part of the problem with this organization.  They have a milquetoast good citizen as its captain.  Career overachievers like Gionta and Harrold get held up as comparisons for our more talented younger players to live up to.  There's nobody in the room that'll turn over a table when the Devils have two-three types of these games in a row.  Pete for my issues with him does seem to know when to push the anger switch but there needs to be a couple of peers that do it too.  The fact that they came out so badly last night and against Detroit last week in VITAL games is a stain on the entire team, head coach on down.

Everything about the organization is maddening now, from the acceptance of mediocrity from a GM who never accepted anything but the best, from the goaltender sideshow to the way they keep hoarding old, mediocre defensemen (so much for the excuse Lou couldn't do anything before the deadline, he hasn't done anything in two years) and the way they've handled Larsson and to a lesser degree Gelinas this year - not to mention Fayne last year, to the utter lack of speed up front and no desire to even try to get faster or more skilled, to the double standard from the head coach vis-a-vis certain players and yes the propensity for DeBoer teams to blown leads over 'six' years of his coaching career including 2012.  Only difference in 2012 is they had the talent to overcome it.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Im not really pissed at this loss or wtv (well somewhat) but to me this season was loss from the start, lou patched a team together that should be able to compete just enough and thats what were seeing. And i pretty much made peace with it long ago, was simply curious to see what they could do and they actually exceeded my expectations really.

Pretty clear to me that this roster was not one that would win a cup or anything so ive been looking at the future instead hoping to see lou/deboer starting to prepare our future. For example getting more ice time for the kids so they get experience, getting rid of old vets, giving more time making sure our future #1 goalie is happy, getting picks for the future etc etc etc

Not much of that happened other than merril and gelinas getting some playing time but seeing larsson rotting in the AHL pretty much cancelled the positives there.

I know most people are in win now mode but like i said nothing good will come out of this season so im already hoping for the future to see better days, hopefully lou will make the right moves this summer.

Admittedly about 90% of them have come from skeeter (either after Marty wins or Cory losses)...but there have been anti-Cory digs that also personally attacked the fans who dared criticize Marty.  

Unlikable might not be the right word.  I don't know that there's an individual on the team I dislike personally (unlike the 2009-11 teams)...but honestly that's part of the problem with this organization.  They have a milquetoast good citizen as its captain.  Career overachievers like Gionta and Harrold get held up as comparisons for our more talented younger players to live up to.  There's nobody in the room that'll turn over a table when the Devils have two-three types of these games in a row.  Pete for my issues with him does seem to know when to push the anger switch but there needs to be a couple of peers that do it too.  The fact that they came out so badly last night and against Detroit last week in VITAL games is a stain on the entire team, head coach on down.

Everything about the organization is maddening now, from the acceptance of mediocrity from a GM who never accepted anything but the best, from the goaltender sideshow to the way they keep hoarding old, mediocre defensemen (so much for the excuse Lou couldn't do anything before the deadline, he hasn't done anything in two years) and the way they've handled Larsson and to a lesser degree Gelinas this year - not to mention Fayne last year, to the utter lack of speed up front and no desire to even try to get faster or more skilled, to the double standard from the head coach vis-a-vis certain players and yes the propensity for DeBoer teams to blown leads over 'six' years of his coaching career including 2012.  Only difference in 2012 is they had the talent to overcome it.

Any Cory digs have seemed to come as a sarcastic reaction to the Marty digs but if that's the way you have seen what happened (and being that I am not familiar with Skeeter's posts on the subject) I respect where you stand.

As for the rest of your point, well I would agree 'unlikable' is the wrong word but I think you have a point with the part I bolded. In general we really just don't have a special team. Salvador is really a big downgrade from Parise in my opinion as far as captains go and the team just kind of feels like a dud. Fayne came in when we sucked and I am really surprised he is still with us but I am not as down on him as everyone else, mostly because I think he is worth the 1.3 million we pay him and he only plays 18 minutes a game. Nonetheless, he makes some boneheaded plays doesn't he? 

Our 4th line has not performed nearly as well as they have in the past couple years, and the CBGB fervor is dying down. Gionta had 1.5 times as many points in 48 games last year (he has played 54 this year). He also was a +2 last year compared to a -8 this year and his shot percentage has gone from 7% to 5%. 

Bernier had 15 points last year in 47 games and was a -7. This year he has 11 points in 67 games and is a -14. Worst of all his shot percentage has gone from 9.1% to 3.2%. That's the worst production of his career in ALL categories (aside from PIM).

Ryan Carter had twice as many points last year than he does this year and he has played 6 more games so far this year (15 pts in 44 gms last year, 7 pts in 50 gms this year).

Danius Zubrus is also having one of the worst offensive seasons in his career with 23 points in 67 games (he had 44 points in 82 games in '11-'12).

Zajac bothers me more than anyone. Just a few years ago he scored in the 60's for 2 straight seasons and then after '09-'10 his offense started to completely drop off.

We have played Josefsen for 20 games this year in which he has registered a single assist. 

As stated, Ryder hasn't scored since January 11th (21 games) and since then he has 5 assists and is a -5.

Goal-scoring wise, Ryan Clowe is having arguable the worst season of his career. But we probably should have seen that coming: as mentioned when he first signed, he is coming off a season in which he scored 3 goals in 40 games. Sure it looked like a fluke because of his perennial 45-60 points a season prior to last year, but signing him to a 5 year contract was a bold statement of belief in his ability to rebound by Lou.

Frustrating for sure.

conspiracy theory: schneider is dumping on the team purposely because he is pissed about the marty situation.

This Marty-Cory "controversy" is still child's play to what he had to deal with Vancouver. I'm not buying that he's somehow gone off the deep-end over it.