Here we go again. New goal song for 14-15

'7'

For me, its more of a "you gotta be fvcking kidding me, you can yell you suck after every goal, but can't for the life of you participate in a let's go Devils chant"

If fans were loud all game, hey its just another aspect of fans being involved, but to me its pathetic that the most participated in chants are the ones where people are reaching back to their high school/college years and being vulgar [by definition of the word, don't crucify me over it].

The years we were successful in the post season, you always heard the players comment about the chants/crowd and how it gave them energy. THAT was a tradition we [as fans] should be reaching back and striving to get to again. Not this "let's revolt against authority or the establishment man"

:tomato: :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: :tomato:

I don't really have anything to say, I just feel like this needs to be seen by everyone a second time.

Typical corporate suits being totally clueless about their fanbase. Good for the Islanders fans for sticking up for fighting them on it. Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

Who is this piece of sh!t? Season ticket holders don't have a legitimate voice and what they want or value doesn't matter? If I'm a lifelong Ilses fan from the island, I'm having a really hard time going along for this ride. I'd be surprised if half of that demographic is around in half a decade.

Typical corporate suits being totally clueless about their fanbase. Good for the Islanders fans for sticking up for fighting them on it.

I wanted to strangle that little nudge and I'm not even an Islander fan (duh). That's EXACTLY the kind of corporate dweeb that I despise.

He is not blasting them for wanting to change the goal horn. He was blasting them for how the fans conveyed that message to them with verbal attacks and cursing the team and him personally.

After what I have seen devils fans attack this management over the goal song I can certainly imagine the vile garbage they have had thrown at them. Too many fans with tiny brains that can't express themselves due to their limited vocabulary that largely consists of curse words.

He is not blasting them for wanting to change the goal horn. He was blasting them for how the fans conveyed that message to them with verbal attacks and cursing the team and him personally.

After what I have seen devils fans attack this management over the goal song I can certainly imagine the vile garbage they have had thrown at them. Too many fans with tiny brains that can't express themselves due to their limited vocabulary that largely consists of curse words.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I agree with the bolded...even if you strongly disagree with something your franchise does, there's a way to go about it...you can be strongly worded in your level of unhappiness, yet still be respectful.  At least if you do that, you might get someone to listen and consider your viewpoint.   

By the same token, it's just aggravating when stuffed suits (who are trying way too hard to be clever and groundbreaking and who clearly aren't in touch with most fans) try to pull crap like this without doing much in the way of real research, and come off like they somehow know more about what the fans want than the actual fans.  What did that "think team" believe...that changing the goal horn to something subway-like was somehow going to suck in Brooklyn locals who might be on the fence about attending a game?  Or get those who decided to go to one game for the hell of it to say "Hey, the goal horn reminds me of a subway train, I guess they think we Brooklyn people all love to ride subways and everything associated with the experience, so I'm all in from here on out!"  And why even start off by taking a chance of alienating the Long Island fans who are probably already a little put off by the fact that their team no longer plays its home games on Long Island?  Changing the goal horn wasn't going to bring in new fans, and all it does is make the old fan feel even more disconnected that he already did...there's probably Islander fans who were thinking "WTF is this...so I guess we're the Brooklyn Brooklynites now?"  I think at this point, you should be catering to the long-term fans you'd like to think still want to stick with the team in spite of the move, instead of acting like you've already got them in your back pocket. 

It's also very condescending when these schelps try to reduce fan bases to the equivalent of a catchphrase or slogan, based on where they're from.  I was fine with the Devils wanting to move on from R&R Part II no matter what their reasons were, but to then not even give the fan base the slightest inkling of a change, and then to have a "Well you're just about all from New Jersey, so as long as we Jersey it up (because of course we must all love Bon Jovi by default), you'll all lap it up and be happy" attitude with their song choice just reeked of "we didn't think this through one bit", and that's when fans get ticked off.  These kinds of miscalculations can be avoided very easily with some foresight and some genuine research.  How hard would it have been for the Islanders to have put something out along the lines of "We're considering changing the goal horn, here is a sound byte, please leave a comment" on their website?  Yes, there likely would have been a lot of crappy responses, which sucks, but at least the franchise would've known in a day or two that screwing with the goal horn wasn't a good idea, and even better, the fans would've felt like they had some say in the process, instead of being blindsided.   

I agree with teams blindsiding fans with changes is not the best idea.  However many times the fans themselves can be a spastic bunch at best.  Take our goal song fiasco.  Management didn't help things with the initial change where they pretty much blindsided the fanbase with that Bon Jovi song.  They listed and changed it to SNA and people still hated it.  The reasons I have heard other than the fact that it wasn't RnR pt 2 is that it had no fan input and had nothing to do with NJ.  Fine so the team compromised last year by having a fan-made song.  People still hated it and still called for a more NJ feel to it.  I even heard a lot of fans suggest Gaslight Anthem as well last year.  Team tried to compromise again and put on Gaslight Anthem, and fans are still bitching.  Really anything besides RnR pt 2 will not silence these people so I doubt a soundbyte online contest would do any favors.  Hell IIRC either the Bon Jovi song or SNA was picked by a poll.

In short the team has listened and have at least tried to compromise while a large segment of fans have yet to do so. 

This is a generational/social media/Twitter problem though, this isn't an isolated case of one fanbase or the other fanbase being vile and disgusting. This is just the nature of social media and people getting the sense that their anonymous voices online count for something. And when you respond to them directly, they feel even more empowered.

If you're Yormark, or the CEO of any team, your best policy is just to stay off Twitter, or at least don't read every single response directed to you or your team during something like this; let your social media team handle it. It'll drive you crazy; crazy enough to go on air and piss and moan about it right before the season starts, right when Isles account managers are trying to push season tickets.

Typical corporate suits being totally clueless about their fanbase. Good for the Islanders fans for sticking up for fighting them on it.

His response, to (probably) a handful of people saying vile stuff on Twitter, is pea-brained enough. You're a billionaire. Let it go, dude.

But the idea to begin with: that changing the goal horn to an MTA train horn would somehow ignite some Brooklynites' passion for the game of hockey? How tone deaf do you have to be to think that's a fantastic idea? That this is an idea worth pursuing, and an idea worth working on for the better part of 2015?

a) 80% of people in the surrounding area are transplants who haven't even lived here long enough to recognize the MTA train horn from a clown car horn; nor care.

b) The last thing real actual living Brooklynites want to hear at a hockey game when their team scores is a reminder of their god awful morning commute.

c) It sounds like the target demographic Yormark really wants is the demographic that doesn't really use the MTA to get to the arena. He'd be better off getting an Uber Black car horn as their goal horn, that'd be more applicable.

Edited by DJ Eco

This is a generational/social media/Twitter problem though, this isn't an isolated case of one fanbase or the other fanbase being vile and disgusting. This is just the nature of social media and people getting the sense that their anonymous voices online count for something. And when you respond to them directly, they feel even more empowered.

If you're Yormark, or the CEO of any team, your best policy is just to stay off Twitter, or at least don't read every single response directed to you or your team during something like this; let your social media team handle it. It'll drive you crazy; crazy enough to go on air and piss and moan about it right before the season starts, right when Isles account managers are trying to push season tickets.

Oh I understand that this is not isolated to any one particular fanbase.

This is completely a generational thing that has grown up in a world where they can hide behind social media handles while being constantly bombarded at home, school and in media at how everyone is special and important and they have a right to speak their mind without any sort of consequence.  An entire generation of people who are growing up without basic people and social skills and don't know who to express dissatisfaction without cursing or degrading others.  This is why social media is one of the best and worst inventions in human history.

This is a frequent problem with everything, especially in the movie industry. Ultimately the ones making the last calls are not big movie buffs or know their sh!t. They are just executives who landed that administrative job at a studio and they get to have the final decision even though they have no creativity or anything and do not care about the end product really. And it's the directors and fans who suffers from it

I agree with teams blindsiding fans with changes is not the best idea.  However many times the fans themselves can be a spastic bunch at best.  Take our goal song fiasco.  Management didn't help things with the initial change where they pretty much blindsided the fanbase with that Bon Jovi song.  They listed and changed it to SNA and people still hated it.  The reasons I have heard other than the fact that it wasn't RnR pt 2 is that it had no fan input and had nothing to do with NJ.  Fine so the team compromised last year by having a fan-made song.  People still hated it and still called for a more NJ feel to it.  I even heard a lot of fans suggest Gaslight Anthem as well last year.  Team tried to compromise again and put on Gaslight Anthem, and fans are still bitching.  Really anything besides RnR pt 2 will not silence these people so I doubt a soundbyte online contest would do any favors.  Hell IIRC either the Bon Jovi song or SNA was picked by a poll.

In short the team has listened and have at least tried to compromise while a large segment of fans have yet to do so. 

Oh I'm definitely not painting the fans as some harmonious mass of saints...you'll never be able to please all of them no matter what, and even when you try to involve them, a large chunk of them won't appreciate the gesture.  But the blindsiding is always guaranteed to get these things off to a bad start.   

In a perfect world, we'd still have R&R Part II and people would just yell "Hey!" like they did in the seemingly ancient and suddenly simple days of 1995 and 2000, but that ship sailed a long time ago...once YS began to infect the goal celebrations, there apparently was no turning back.  And now it's reached the point where many fans see it as a challenge to shoehorn it in no matter what song is played.

I forget who said it, but I agree with the sentiment that a goal song should be picked and stuck with, as long it's not met with near-universal disdain.  I'd almost rather that then "Well, let's try this...OK, let's try that..." 

SNA was "fan selected" by the Devils poll which asked for nominations that eventually led to a final vote.  But we all know that it was completely rigged, with the 3rd song being so out of left field and generally terrible, it was a laughable contest. 

I still think the SNA goal song was the best of the bunch since they changed it.  My understanding from a person within the organization is that the team got rid of it because the YS chant was too easily inserted into the song.  Last years wasn't bad either and I wish they would have stuck with it and just gotten rid of the LGD part of the song.  This year's song is just terrible as you can't clap along to it.  It's basically just noise.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what the song is.  I just want them to actually score some goals and give me something to cheer about.  As long as they don't play it at the decible level of a jet fighter taking off from an aircraft carrier, I'm good.  Plus, the RRpartII and the YS chant still takes place and is even louder than before with the horn guy doing it after goals are scored, so it's not like the pro-YS people are missing out on anything.

Oh I'm definitely not painting the fans as some harmonious mass of saints...you'll never be able to please all of them no matter what, and even when you try to involve them, a large chunk of them won't appreciate the gesture.  But the blindsiding is always guaranteed to get these things off to a bad start.   

In a perfect world, we'd still have R&R Part II and people would just yell "Hey!" like they did in the seemingly ancient and suddenly simple days of 1995 and 2000, but that ship sailed a long time ago...once YS began to infect the goal celebrations, there apparently was no turning back.  And now it's reached the point where many fans see it as a challenge to shoehorn it in no matter what song is played.

I forget who said it, but I agree with the sentiment that a goal song should be picked and stuck with, as long it's not met with near-universal disdain.  I'd almost rather that then "Well, let's try this...OK, let's try that..." 

I agree with this completely.  They should have let the SNA song run for a few years.  Same with the song they had last year.  Now, it just seems like they are changing it every season just for the hell of it. 

Edited by Chuck the Duck

Oh I'm definitely not painting the fans as some harmonious mass of saints...you'll never be able to please all of them no matter what, and even when you try to involve them, a large chunk of them won't appreciate the gesture. But the blindsiding is always guaranteed to get these things off to a bad start.

In a perfect world, we'd still have R&R Part II and people would just yell "Hey!" like they did in the seemingly ancient and suddenly simple days of 1995 and 2000, but that ship sailed a long time ago...once YS began to infect the goal celebrations, there apparently was no turning back. And now it's reached the point where many fans see it as a challenge to shoehorn it in no matter what song is played.

I forget who said it, but I agree with the sentiment that a goal song should be picked and stuck with, as long it's not met with near-universal disdain. I'd almost rather that then "Well, let's try this...OK, let's try that..."

Yeah I said that a few pages ago. This thread is a prime example of the issue with them changing the song every season since they got rid of the hey song. This topic keeps coming up every season.

If they would have changed it to gaslight the first year and that was it we most likely wouldn't still be talking about it heading into the 4th season with it.

People would still be doing the you suck aspect of the song but that's not going anywhere no matter what your views are on it.

I just hope they stick with the gaslight song and hopefully people decide to just start singing along with it after a few seasons.